Menu

ADHD next steps

Hi all again, I seem to be hanging here a lot lately. All three of my older children are having some issues. Today, I'm asking about DD who just turned 6 in April. Yesterday, we had a meeting with a doctor and she says it's likely ADHD.

She recommends meds. Based on my questionairre responses and the fact that she did not engage, showed zero attention, in the 15 minutes she took her computer test. She loves computers, completely, so I found it shocking when I saw the results. She had her blood drawn and an eeg before hand and was pretty upset, so we repeated the test yesterday just to be sure that it wasn't just because she was upset. We got lunch, talked about it, let her sister be in the room nearby for support, she didn't want to but was calm, same results. She routinely says she's not smart. She dropped out of dance because she couldn't understand what was going on (couldn't keep up, fear of failure etc). I see her receding more and more and while I think meds in a 6 yr old is a bit much, I think that the doctor would not have suggested it if it weren't severe? I've come into the room to find her crying because she cant remember what I just told her to do. She's not hyperactive, an easygoing kid for the most part, but I am looking toward the next school year and trying to get her reading, but she can hardly track with me at all. We could not do any of the Barton pretest part c, none.

My husband is vehemently against meds, and really any of the testing I've done for them. He thinks they should just deal, I homeschool, so accommodate and move on. My mom who got a the dx as an adult said the meds were life changing for her, she begs me to just try it. I don't know what to do. Wait til she is older? The doc also recommended cognitive behavior therapy and omega 3 supplements. What programs should I do in the meantime? She will sit and do Reading Eggs/ Mathseeds, she seems to have retained a lot, think that is enough for first? I have to work on writing more, she has a funky grip, so I'm guessing HWT? Anywho, Im rambling now, any good books I should read?

That sure doesn't sound like it's merely/only ADHD.  I think what you need to do is get a psych eval PRONTO, get a WISC, some behavioral screenings (BASC, BRIEF, maybe more), the TAPS3 (which CAN be done at this age), and a hearing eval by an audiologist.  Even though the audiologist can't do the full SCAN3, they might be able to run *some*.  They'll be able to tell quite a bit. I took my ds in at newly 6, and the audiologist could run some of the SCAN3 and really get a sense of whether it was on the right track to run more at 7 or not.

You could really miss a lot of things by assuming here, and I'd be concerned about symptoms of "not engaging" and "not responding" and this serious not remembering.  Something is going on there, and that's just (removing nasty words) to say put her on meds and walk away.  I'm NOT anti-meds, but your explanations are not complete.  

An SLP can do the TAPS3 and some psychs can.  So you want a psych eval and audiology, and you want them NOW.  Then, if the screenings show anything, you get the full APD eval when she turns 7. 

My ds wasn't responding to people, and his final diagnosis was not ADHD.  ADHD was part of it, but that was not the explanation.  You really need to get moving on getting that explained.  I don't know, just reading how you got shafted with a "just put her on meds" thing just makes me angry.

I'd be all over it, recommending meds, if you were actually giving us ADHD symptoms.  But you're not!  You're saying she's not responding, not engaging, and there are multiple explanations for that, none of which that MD is attempting to sort out. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

I knew you would say this, I did! lol. I want to test all the things, truly I do. But I have three kids who need this all at once and I'm trying to keep my head above water. I need to get DD8 squared away with VT and true pysch eval. Then get DS3 squared away with his autism eval and speech. Poor DD6 is my sweet sunshine that may have to hang on for a bit. I appreciate the frankness about the meds. Best to be sure we know truly what we are up against before that, very good point.

Yes, totally didn't engage. They had a thing on her head to measure her movements and such. She was just randomly pushing buttons :(

I'm sorry, but what you're describing with this 6 yo is more pressing than the 8 yo.  Get medicaid to pay for the ds3 if you can't afford to make it happen.  

Of course I'm saying that, and I don't remember the situation with your 8 yo.  I'm just saying it's a mistake to wait. Our uni does audiology for $35.  Get that done.  And get her scheduled for the psych along with the 8 and 3 yos.  Just do them all.  You'll hit your deductible.   :D

You can do VT any time, and it can wait.  What's going on with the 8 yo?  It might be that he can wait on his psych eval, if you need to triage.  

My dd did VT at 11.  It's nice to do it sooner, but it's NOT as pressing as getting developmental delays, hearing loss, or other serious, pressing issues explained.  I know it's overwhelming.  I'm saying take a deep breath, take the new information, look at insurance, look at what you can get covered with state child insurance, look at what you can get affordably through a university, and then make a game plan.

Edited by OhElizabeth

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I realize this seems very overwhelming and you have to prioritize your time/resources with three kids needing evaluastions.  I would be concerned about doing any sort of meds with the 6 year old until you have more solid answers.  I would be seeking a new doctor.  This one is only looking at her issues through an ADHD lens.  They aren't going to help you sort through everything.  A neuropsychologist might be better able to handle helping you find the best path.  Your oldest is supposed to go to a neuropsych, right?   You are looking at doing that?  Maybe both kids could be evaluated?

• Like 2

With the 3 yo and autism as the question, you're looking for an autism clinic, not just a neuropsych.  And frankly, when a dc is "not responding" and has symptoms of anxiety, etc. and a sibling suspected on the spectrum, I'm not sure why there was not more on the table or a referral to a developmental ped or SOMETHING.

• Like 2

PS.  I'm not trying to be so talkative, lol.  I'm scanning pictures and gabbing in between scans.  Well actually I'm trying to find a recipe for some pies.  I want to make two and have the crust thawing, but they have to get done in three minute sprigs during the scans.  Easier to sit.   :D

Be thankful your children weren't born during the time of film!  I'm having to go back and SCAN things to make a video!  Mercifully I only have about 5 years, but still.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

I realize this seems very overwhelming and you have to prioritize your time/resources with three kids needing evaluastions.  I would be concerned about doing any sort of meds with the 6 year old until you have more solid answers.  I would be seeking a new doctor.  This one is only looking at her issues through an ADHD lens.  They aren't going to help you sort through everything.  A neuropsychologist might be better able to handle helping you find the best path.  Your oldest is supposed to go to a neuropsych, right?   You are looking at doing that?  Maybe both kids could be evaluated?

You're right. My oldest has an appointment with just a psychologist. This practice seems to specialize in educational testing for dyslexia, SLD, anxiety, adhd etc. They said it would be 3 visits (intake, testing, results). I will see about both of them, as their cost seemed fairly doable with a payment plan. They also do testing for giftedness so, I'll just call back and see. They do take our insurance, though they said educational testing isn't covered. I wonder though, since DD6 now has an adhd label, if they could bill it somehow under that? Insurance stuff makes me crazy. 

I'm sorry, but what you're describing with this 6 yo is more pressing than the 8 yo.  Get medicaid to pay for the ds3 if you can't afford to make it happen.  

Of course I'm saying that, and I don't remember the situation with your 8 yo.  I'm just saying it's a mistake to wait. Our uni does audiology for $35.  Get that done.  And get her scheduled for the psych along with the 8 and 3 yos.  Just do them all.  You'll hit your deductible.   :D

You can do VT any time, and it can wait.  What's going on with the 8 yo?  It might be that he can wait on his psych eval, if you need to triage.  

My dd did VT at 11.  It's nice to do it sooner, but it's NOT as pressing as getting developmental delays, hearing loss, or other serious, pressing issues explained.  I know it's overwhelming.  I'm saying take a deep breath, take the new information, look at insurance, look at what you can get covered with state child insurance, look at what you can get affordably through a university, and then make a game plan.

Wow, really?  :sad: We definitely don't qualify for medicaid. My focus has been on my oldest because I desperately need her to be reading on her own. I need for her to be able to take over some of her education so I can focus on the younger two. She focuses well (she actually took the same adhd diagnostic and passed with flying colors) and whatever mild issues she may have with focusing are likely due to her anxiety. She has visual processing issues as said by the VT, questionable working memory, potential auditory things too. DS3 is going to an autism clinic in August, it will likely be at low cost to us, as autism is covered. I just call a SLP practice and receptionist thinks they can do the APD screen. 

PS.  I'm not trying to be so talkative, lol.  I'm scanning pictures and gabbing in between scans.  Well actually I'm trying to find a recipe for some pies.  I want to make two and have the crust thawing, but they have to get done in three minute sprigs during the scans.  Easier to sit.   :D

Be thankful your children weren't born during the time of film!  I'm having to go back and SCAN things to make a video!  Mercifully I only have about 5 years, but still.  

Yum, pie!!  :wub:

• Like 1

So your insurance covers if ASD is diagnosed or if the referral is for that?  

I don't think it's a realistic solution to ask an 8 yo to be independent, whether she has SN or not.  If your other two are taking significant time, you could put the oldest in school.  

I'm not being harsh there.  I've got kids 10 years apart basically, and if there was ever a situation where it ought to be easy peasy to have the older be self-teaching and independent, that ought to be it, right?  And it seems like as we've gotten into things with my younger, he requires MORE time, MORE energy, more everything.  

So I'm just saying it's not sustainable to relegate an 8 yo to being independent.  I think it's good to eval, figure out what's going on, sure.  But if there's autism on the table, will your insurance bring in help?  ABA and tutors?  I'd just get really realistic.  If we had known then what we know now, we would have really wished for school for my older.  We didn't really have an ideal situation for her, and we made do.  I'm just saying if we had realized how hard things were going to get, school would have been a reasonable option.  

My pies still aren't done.  The fruit isn't completely thawed.  I'm trying this recipe that has you put milk and lemon juice in a fruit pie along with the flour, and that just seems ALL WRONG, lol.  I have no clue.  

• Like 1

Good luck, sorry these are issues I don't know much about.

It is hard to have siblings have competing needs.

My youngest son is the one who really needs the most, but it is not like my other kids don't also need things, and it is very hard sometimes to try to balance things, or to basically know I have failed to balance things.

My kids are in public school, and it is still pretty difficult.

I was basically a nervous wreck wrt my younger son his entire Kindergarten year, and then I was much less of a nervous wreck when he was in 1st grade, but then I realized I had kind-of let some things really slide for my other two kids. They are fine, but it is not fair to them. So now I am trying to make up for it a little, as much as I can.

That year was kind-of a loss for my other kids, but it benefits them so much (and our family as a whole) when my youngest is doing well, so in a way it really DOES help them. They also love their brother and it is a blessing to them when he is doing well, too.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

So your eldest is struggling with reading?

Yes. She needs 7-9 months of VT..convergence issues, reversals the whole bit. The school did not give her a CTOPP despite a below grade level WJ and average IQ. No working memory was tested there either, but it showed up at VT so she'll get some work with that there. She barely passed the Barton pretest the second time (failed the first). So I have Barton 1 here for her next year if vision alone isn't what she is up against.

So your insurance covers if ASD is diagnosed or if the referral is for that?

I don't think it's a realistic solution to ask an 8 yo to be independent, whether she has SN or not. If your other two are taking significant time, you could put the oldest in school.

I'm not being harsh there. I've got kids 10 years apart basically, and if there was ever a situation where it ought to be easy peasy to have the older be self-teaching and independent, that ought to be it, right? And it seems like as we've gotten into things with my younger, he requires MORE time, MORE energy, more everything.

So I'm just saying it's not sustainable to relegate an 8 yo to being independent. I think it's good to eval, figure out what's going on, sure. But if there's autism on the table, will your insurance bring in help? ABA and tutors? I'd just get really realistic. If we had known then what we know now, we would have really wished for school for my older. We didn't really have an ideal situation for her, and we made do. I'm just saying if we had realized how hard things were going to get, school would have been a reasonable option.

My pies still aren't done. The fruit isn't completely thawed. I'm trying this recipe that has you put milk and lemon juice in a fruit pie along with the flour, and that just seems ALL WRONG, lol. I have no clue.

I will not put her in school. It nearly tore her apart. She has anxiety, and since DS3 will be in special ed prek in the fall, I pray the 2 hours we have uninterrupted each day, we can get through reading and math. DS3 won't be dx until august, we'll see what all they suggest then. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a workbox system for a 9 yr old 3rd grader so she can read the instructions herself and proceed with a simple math page or two? Of course I still have to teach lessons, but I need to not have to be elbow to elbow reading everything to her. She is currently reading at a late first grade level.

Good luck, sorry these are issues I don't know much about.

It is hard to have siblings have competing needs.

My youngest son is the one who really needs the most, but it is not like my other kids don't also need things, and it is very hard sometimes to try to balance things, or to basically know I have failed to balance things.

My kids are in public school, and it is still pretty difficult.

I was basically a nervous wreck wrt my younger son his entire Kindergarten year, and then I was much less of a nervous wreck when he was in 1st grade, but then I realized I had kind-of let some things really slide for my other two kids. They are fine, but it is not fair to them. So now I am trying to make up for it a little, as much as I can.

That year was kind-of a loss for my other kids, but it benefits them so much (and our family as a whole) when my youngest is doing well, so in a way it really DOES help them. They also love their brother and it is a blessing to them when he is doing well, too.

I just can't put them in school, at least not here. Especially not the school, that didn't bother to test them for what I asked for, knowing they both would likely get zero in the way of accommodations or extra help. I'd just having to do everything I'm doing now, but after school, when they are already exhausted from the day. If, and only if, I can get DD8 up to grade level in reading, her vision is better, then, I'll consider her going to PS for her. We move a lot too, so changing schools every year isn't something I want to do either unless we have to.

I may have hit the jackpot just now? I found a practice that has SLPs that can give the older two APD screens (taps? she didn't say the name), phonological processing testing for DD8, a speech eval for DD6 and I'll explain all I'm seeing with attention, a PROMPT eval for DS3 and OT eval for him too. All for just copays at least for now until they run it through insurance. And all within the next two weeks! So maybe I can postpone a long expensive psych visit, and get some good info about where to go next with all of them. That same PROMPT slp is trained in OG and specializes in reading help. I'm hopeful she can recommend where to go for a full eval for the girls. I'll still keep DD8's appointment as a backup. Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Joyful Journeys
  • Like 2

I am not good at technology, however I read a book called The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan (iirc) that talked about "text to speech."

Apparently you take a picture of text with your iPad (or whatever) and then it will convert it to speech.

Maybe something like that could read your daughter's directions?

The SLP practice sounds great!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Yes. She needs 7-9 months of VT..convergence issues, reversals the whole bit. The school did not give her a CTOPP despite a below grade level WJ and average IQ. No working memory was tested there either, but it showed up at VT so she'll get some work with that there. She barely passed the Barton pretest the second time (failed the first). So I have Barton 1 here for her next year if vision alone isn't what she is up against.

I will not put her in school. It nearly tore her apart. She has anxiety, and since DS3 will be in special ed prek in the fall, I pray the 2 hours we have uninterrupted each day, we can get through reading and math. DS3 won't be dx until august, we'll see what all they suggest then. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a workbox system for a 9 yr old 3rd grader so she can read the instructions herself and proceed with a simple math page or two? Of course I still have to teach lessons, but I need to not have to be elbow to elbow reading everything to her. She is currently reading at a late first grade level.

I just can't put them in school, at least not here. Especially not the school, that didn't bother to test them for what I asked for, knowing they both would likely get zero in the way of accommodations or extra help. I'd just having to do everything I'm doing now, but after school, when they are already exhausted from the day. If, and only if, I can get DD8 up to grade level in reading, her vision is better, then, I'll consider her going to PS for her. We move a lot too, so changing schools every year isn't something I want to do either unless we have to.

I may have hit the jackpot just now? I found a practice that has SLPs that can give the older two APD screens (taps? she didn't say the name), phonological processing testing for DD8, a speech eval for DD6 and I'll explain all I'm seeing with attention, a PROMPT eval for DS3 and OT eval for him too. All for just copays at least for now until they run it through insurance. And all within the next two weeks! So maybe I can postpone a long expensive psych visit, and get some good info about where to go next with all of them. That same PROMPT slp is trained in OG and specializes in reading help. I'm hopeful she can recommend where to go for a full eval for the girls. I'll still keep DD8's appointment as a backup. Thanks everyone :)

Ooo, now it sounds like you're onto something!  I had forgotten the details of your dd8's scenario.  So is the SLP going to be able to run the CTOPP?  If she can, what a deal!  That's a ton of good stuff to get done!  And she can do that TAPS3 on your dd6 as well.  My ds failed *half* of it, because of his dyslexia, but the other half (what is more specifically APD) he was fine on.  So that would be a really good thing to get done on your dd6.  

If you get the CTOPP for a baseline and you skip the psych eval and do Barton (just thinking out loud here), does that leave your finances in a better position to afford tutoring?  I like your workboxes idea.  Even a grandma, a teen from church, someone who would come and do Barton with her.  My ds has an ABA tutor, who does some academics along with the behavior stuff.  It's not that she's so brilliant or whatever, but she's fresh, not distracted, not dealing with dinner and bills and other things.  It helps get stuff done.  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Ooo, now it sounds like you're onto something! I had forgotten the details of your dd8's scenario. So is the SLP going to be able to run the CTOPP? If she can, what a deal! That's a ton of good stuff to get done! And she can do that TAPS3 on your dd6 as well. My ds failed *half* of it, because of his dyslexia, but the other half (what is more specifically APD) he was fine on. So that would be a really good thing to get done on your dd6.

If you get the CTOPP for a baseline and you skip the psych eval and do Barton (just thinking out loud here), does that leave your finances in a better position to afford tutoring? I like your workboxes idea. Even a grandma, a teen from church, someone who would come and do Barton with her. My ds has an ABA tutor, who does some academics along with the behavior stuff. It's not that she's so brilliant or whatever, but she's fresh, not distracted, not dealing with dinner and bills and other things. It helps get stuff done.

I'm ALL FOR the PROMPT eval for your little, wow. Here's the thing. I would *not* start therapy until you have that autism eval. I'm just telling you, I wouldn't. That autism eval is the DOOR that opens you to insurance funding. PROMPT gives a level of interaction that is much like ABA. You go doing that and push that barometer and make it harder to diagnose, and you won't be happy. Let him go in as he is now. One month might seem like an eternity to wait, but that's all we're talking about here. AFTER he gets that eval, THEN begin PROMPT. And maybe he's level 3 and it won't matter. Level 3 is obvious to the average stranger. But if he's more like level 1, it really can push things. It would be like doing Barton for a year and then being bummed that the dyslexia was harder to get diagnosed. So that's just your word to the wise. The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do for your ds is secure funding for his interventions, and to do that he needs evals, and for the evals you want the extent of his disabilities to be obvious, not moved by interventions. My ds started interacting more within a month or two of PROMPT. His ABA recently has had a similar affect on him. It's the "aut" of the autism that they're looking for.

Yes I think so on the CTOPP! And definitely yea, will wait to start therapy after the eval. I know for sure speech therapy is not covered unless it's under autism, so we will sit tight until we know either way. He would be level 1 if he is at all yes. And thanks I just stumbled onto this page, laid out all my concerns with the three of them and said IS THIS THE PLACE THEY NEED TO BE?! Haha. And for once, the receptionist said YES. Goodness some office folks I've talked to have been so cold, and it was refreshing hearing someone say yes.

• Like 3

Ok, I'll just ask.  This SLP you found is trained to what level in PROMPT?  She's done Bridging?  She's working on getting certified?  

You're going to get a much more reliable eval with a more experienced person when the question is praxis.  If necessary, you could drive farther for the most experienced person, then do your therapy with the closer person.  But if she's certified, it's a non-issue.  If she's non-certified, honestly I'd be asking who she's reviewing it with.  She can tape the entire VMPAC and go over it with her mentor.

For therapy, she'll grow with him, but for the evals I would be REALLY picky.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Wow, that was a LONG time ago.  I thought they were clearing people out who don't take fresh credits or otherwise keep up.  You could ask her straight up if she's continuing to work on PROMPT certification, how much work with it she does, whether she's working on certification, etc.  You can ask whether she'll be using the VMPAC or something else with him.  It's just stuff you can ask.  

Therapists need CEUs (continuing education units), so they will take stuff, get the paper, and have no intention of actually using it or becoming proficient at it.  That's why you see swaths of people doing the level 1/intro training.  It's just something to watch for.  If she did Bridging, then is she working on getting certified?  Or maybe she is and the website isn't up to date?  Just questions you can ask.  

Do you have access to anyone who is certified?

Fwiw, the SLP we started with is now an instructor.  She mentors multiple people in her practice and is helping them get certified, and she has taught lots of other people.  It's VERY common in a scenario like that to let the most skilled person do the evals and then hand off therapy.  No one would be offended.  And the quality of the answers you get will definitely vary with the experience level. 

Just things you can ask about as you look at your options.  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I was really hopeful. And again, the things I hoped would be done were not. The SLP did the CELF on her which she did fine on, so does that rule out anything for CAPD?

For DD8 they did not do a CTOPP, even though I said that's what I wanted, and did a Test of Written spelling or something and she did not do well at all. She is sending me results soon. She couldnt correctly spell any sight words, mostly did everything phonetically, and would drop syllables completely in a couple. She did note how hard she was thinking about how to even write the letters, so would have recommended OT if not for me saying VT would address that.

I also found out the psych I had scheduled for DD8 for dyslexia isn't going to do the CTOPP either, just a WISC and some other achievement test. I guess it really comes down to just paying the huge amounts for a neuropsych. Though I wonder what is the point now? At this point in time, I should just do Barton with dd8, modify my teaching for DD 6's inattention and get DS3 to prek. We'll see where we stand come spring, I'm just tired of it all. DS's speech eval is Tuesday, here's hoping that is better.

Did you look on the Learning Ally lists for a psych?  I would try to get one before you start intervention, and no I would not pay money for a psych eval with probable dyslexia if the psych is not going to run a CTOPP.  Maybe there's another thing they can run, but around here it sure is the gold standard everyone wants.  Learning Ally has a tutor list.  They list themselves, so it's not foolproof.  However it would at least be a place to start.  I think you can do better.

Adding: VT does not eliminate the need for an OT eval.  And that test is indicating a possible SLD writing diagnosis as well.  You really need to get a psych who is experienced with dyslexia.  Must run the CTOPP.  Doesn't have to be the most expensive psych out there, but keep calling, keep looking.  

You know, another way is to find a really good dyslexia tutoring place and ask about psychs who refer to them or whom they refer to.  That would give you a lead.

Adding: VT does not eliminate the need for an OT eval. And that test is indicating a possible SLD writing diagnosis as well. You really need to get a psych who is experienced with dyslexia. Must run the CTOPP. Doesn't have to be the most expensive psych out there, but keep calling, keep looking.

You know, another way is to find a really good dyslexia tutoring place and ask about psychs who refer to them or whom they refer to. That would give you a lead.

Thanks for the tips! I wondered about sld writing now too, though I had always thought that was mostly about poor penmanship. She has beautiful handwriting for the most part but it is is pretty slow apparently and that makes sense if she is still reversing letters so I need to read more about that. I will look at that site, I have another practice to call tomorrow, they claim to do full pyschoeducational testing with a specific one for dyslexia.

• Like 2

Find a Tutor Â»

That's the link at LA I was suggesting you try.  The new place you're describing sounds better.  Yes, you DEFINITELY want someone who is doing the CTOPP, doing complete tests for SLDs.  The reason is, those tests actually give you information that helps you work on the problem.  Like say he just says oh yeah, smells like SLD reading to me.  Well fine, but what is her RAN/RAS?  And how is her actual phonological process?  You would have no breakdowns.  Around here, one of the swank dyslexia tutoring places does the CTOPP as part of their intake.  They really, really want that info.  

Definitely don't settle for clearly incomplete evals.  This isn't something you're going to do all the time, just probably every 4 years.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

Mini update:

DD6 had an OT eval today and she's definitely got retained reflexes, some motor planning issues and will need help with her grip. We only talked briefly, I'll get the full report soon, but she was pointing out things that I d always thought were a little odd but nothing serious anyone would note..wow, it is SO nice to have someone validate your suspicions. That my child is struggling with something as simple as folding a shirt, she has no idea in what sequence to do things like that and shuts down. And no wonder she quit dance because mimicking someone else's movements is super hard too. Simply sitting in a chair is hard! So yea, great appointment. We can tackle these things before we consider meds. I'd like for her to get her full pysch work up in the spring and go from there.

The ST that saw DS3 is also amazing! His receptive language is in the 2nd percentile. He actually expresses more than he understands! I asked her about Dd8 not getting a CTOPP and she offered to come in on her off day and do it personally..wow! So I can get that and the WISC and such the pysch will do and have all the info I need. The pysch will be able to dx SLD so they say, even without the CTOPP. But I need as much info as possible should they ever go to PS.

• Like 2

That's awesome news! And yes, retained reflexes are a big, big deal sometimes.

Down the rabbit hole I go!

I just am trying to handle all of this. I don't want to put them in school, but seriously don't know if I can handle all of this on my own. So that makes 3 kids that each have two therapies to attend every week, when will we actually do school?!

I just am trying to handle all of this. I don't want to put them in school, but seriously don't know if I can handle all of this on my own. So that makes 3 kids that each have two therapies to attend every week, when will we actually do school?!

They are still very young. Maybe lay out a schedule of 15 minutes at least 3 days a week of hands on math, listen to audio books, watch documentaries and maybe do a light, fun mini study of the brain just for this year. Work primarily on building healthy lifestyles and strengthening the family bond. Don't try for too much. There is still plenty of time for more formal academics.

• Like 2

They are still very young. Maybe lay out a schedule of 15 minutes at least 3 days a week of hands on math, listen to audio books, watch documentaries and maybe do a light, fun mini study of the brain just for this year. Work primarily on building healthy lifestyles and strengthening the family bond. Don't try for too much. There is still plenty of time for more formal academics.

It's really hard to accept that, you know, well trained mind and all that jazz, but you're right. I never would have guessed I'd still be teaching reading to a 9 yr old 3rd grader. With our last move and all these evals it seems all forward motion has stopped and I can't see the forest for the trees.

It's really hard to accept that, you know, well trained mind and all that jazz, but you're right. I never would have guessed I'd still be teaching reading to a 9 yr old 3rd grader. With our last move and all these evals it seems all forward motion has stopped and I can't see the forest for the trees.

FWIW, DD was still barely able to decode Clifford books in 5th grade.  However, once I got her using Barton she was reading Divergent in 7th grade.  She reads well now.  Would it have been nice for her to read much earlier?  Sure.  But reading much later worked out o.k.  

You have time.  Take care of what needs to be taken care of right now to get your family through this year.  And take care of you.   :grouphug:

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 3

Just remember that the therapies are what is going to make school possible, feasible, and the least painful it can be. My kids don't have the same mix of issues, but we did have some retained reflex stuff. It's SHOCKING how different my 8 y.o. is after some reflex work. It's just so much better!!! He's always been a sweet kid, but when the reflexes came to a head with his work, it went south instantaneously, and he was a weepy, sodden mess (he has always tended to be a big feely type, but this was just beyond anything I could handle). 

You are one person doing your best, and you are going to do a good job. You will. If you get really stressed, you will find ways to step back, and we'll all help you with ideas for that if you report in.

I agree with OneStepAhead that you can do things in very small increments and keep it creative. Therapy is school for now.

• Like 3

You got great replies and I can only agree that the therapies are school for now, at least a very important part of it.

And they would not be able to get what they need in any school I've heard of. Not better than you will be able to do.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all of the comments but I agree 100% about doing them all 3 at once.

I have 2 boys and did them both at once. I had to ir I woulda been pulling my hair out even more lol.

A suggestion to you tho, something I wish I had done this time around. Audio record the convos about the evals stating which child it is you're talking about.

Not all of that will be in the reports and will be valuable for later.

Now I can't remember, which one did that pertain to? Ouy. So, me? I jus don't remember some things and I hate that.

Get them done at the same time and record record record :)

When you're in the office having the discussion s, it's alot to take in . if I had it recorded I could go back and help decipher some of it but I don't have it.

I will never not record it again :/