Menu

I am looking for unit studies on any of the following appropriate for a 6th grader .  Ideally I would love unit studies that also could be adapted for a 8 year old as well because I'd like to combine subjects as much as possible, but my 11 year old NEEDS to learn this stuff by year after next (will be attending a public 7th grade) while my 8 year old doesn't need to study this yet.

FORCE, MOTION AND ENERGY
LAYERS OF THE EARTH
ROCK CYCLE (metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary rock)
ECOSYSTEMS
BIOLOGY (Cells, Taxonomic classifications, Organisms and their Environments)
SPACE

Would also love suggestions of good videos about these topics.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Edited by goldenecho

I would try..

EllenJMcHenry

Intellego

Moving Beyond The Page

Layers of Learning, also.

Old earth/young earth (literal, recent creation), OP

Edited by OKBud

We LOVE Ellen Mchenry- she has a cells unit and she said in an email that she will have one on rocks/earth science available by January. We just finished her latest, Protozoa, and loved it. She combines high level concepts with crafts and games. They are always a big hit.

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  This is so good to know!  I didn't plan on doing Rock/Earth science until after January anyways (cause I was going to do it along with Volcano study when we were studying Rome...reading about Mount Vesuvius...which we're hitting later in the year).  Did she say what age level it would be aimed at?  (I may just write her about it). 

I really, really like her stuff too.  We are already bought her book The Elements (another topic we need to cover which I didn't list, since I had something for it).     I really looked into the Cells book, and am still considering it, but on first read it feels like a higher level than my son is at, unlike Elements, which seemed perfect.  I mean, he reads well but doesn't gravitate towards that level of technical reading (elements said 8 - 13, and this says 10 - 15, so she pegs at at a higher level too, though still in range--my son is 11).  Plus, time is a factor too.  The Elements one was supposed to take 6 - 12 weeks.  The Cells didn't give a time frame, but it's 20 pages longer than Elements, so I'd guess it would take longer, and I'm not sure if we have that much time to spend on just cells.    I also originally didn't list that we had to also cover FORCE, MOTION AND ENERGY (I thought I had a resource for that, but I'm not thinking it will work now so I re-added it).  We also are supposed to cover conservation, which I think I can cover in a few days around Earth Day.  But still, a lot of science topics to cover in one year.

We LOVE Ellen Mchenry- she has a cells unit and she said in an email that she will have one on rocks/earth science available by January. We just finished her latest, Protozoa, and loved it. She combines high level concepts with crafts and games. They are always a big hit.

Edited by goldenecho

Ah...I'm ok with material with either young earth and old earth.  I would prefer material that deals respectfully with both, actually, but that may be hard to find so I'll go with something else.  I would not want material that mocked the other viewpoint (talked about people who believed in young or old earth as ridiculous or stupid--was mean spirited), unless that was a small part of the material that could be easily skipped and the rest of the material was amazing.   I would be happy with material that mentions God's creation (even assumes/presents it as fact...as I teach my children the same) but I am turned off by material that tries to insert mentions of God/scripture/the bible in every dang sentence (just because it becomes annoying and feels preachy).

ON a side note on the issue of young or old earth am undecided, and lean towards a middle ground...ie, maybe there are gaps in the genealogy and people were around longer, but just because carbon dating is accurate for a few thousand years (amount we can measure against historical record) doesn't mean it's accurate to  millions/billions of years...it just seems in that amount of time there could be changes in the way carbon breaks down (ie, the process could speed up or slow down at some point) that happen past the time we can test for that would change it's accuracy.   Finding material that explores this middle view would be lovely, but unlikely.

Layers of Learning, also.

Old earth/young earth (literal, recent creation), OP

Edited by goldenecho