Menu

Do you have a pillow that you love? Are $100 pillows worth it.

Shellydon

I don't like the really cheap ones; they go flat too quickly.  I also want a washable pillow because of allergies.  I tried the allergy pillows from WalMart, but they were no good, went flat too quickly.  I love the AllerEase pillows, though; they're nice and fluffy without being too thick, and they last a while.  My chiropractor recommended changing pillows a few times a year, even without knowing what pillow I was using, and the AllerEase pillows are inexpensive enough that I can do that.  Amazon has them, but they run about $9 each from Target.

I always buy the $5 pillows from wal mart and I'm unhappy with them in no time. I don't know why, but I have a hard time spending a lot of money on a pillow. Probably because it's for me and I don't spend money on myself easily.

My birthday is December 17th and I always ask my father, hubby, MIL and SIL to go in together on a nice birthday/Christmas gift. This year I want a ridiculously expensive perfume that will cost them $25 each. This way I get my schmancy thing with no guilt and they spend less on me than they normally would have. Previous gifts include a Ninja Mega Kitchen System, guitar, Kindle Paperwhite and several items for charity. :)

• Like 2

Every time I start thinking about pillows I start laughing! When we bought our first temperpdic knock-off mattress, it came with two king sized pillows filled with the shredded material that the mattress was made from. These were supposed to be primo pillows. They were huge, thick, and held their shape. They' were also extremely dense and not even remotely fluffy. I knew I would never sleep on mine as I prefer thin and fluffy pillows, but would use it for a decorative pillow sham form instead.

Every evening I would take the pillow off the bed and lean it against the nightstand so I wouldn't step on it if I had to get up to use the bathroom during the night. One night the pillow fell over and was lying on the floor. It was also the night I needed to get up for a half-awake, shuffle-to-the bathroom tinkle. I got out of bed, started shuffling off and then, "Thud! Crash! Whomp!" The next thing I knew, I was lying face down on the floor and I started laughing hysterically.

Ram Man, who was startled awake, thought I was crying and asked if I was ok. I gasped out, "I fell over a rock. I think it was my pillow!"

It took a good 10 minutes for the absurdity of the situation to wear off enough to finally get up and use the bathroom. To this day I am amazed that I didn't wet my pants and I will never be able to think of the rock pillow incident without giggling.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I was at my chiropractor with my son yesterday. He is having neck issue from sleeping on his tummy. Doc says it could be his pillow is uncomfortable and we should try a different one. I asked for a recommendation and he said, my pillow. He loves his but he did say you should get measured for it because apparently they have different thickness. Dh and I have temperpedics and we LOVE them.

• Like 1

Every time I start thinking about pillows I start laughing! When we bought our first temperpdic knock-off mattress, it came with two king sized pillows filled with the shredded material that the mattress was made from. These were supposed to be primo pillows. They were huge, thick, and held their shape. They' were also extremely dense and not even remotely fluffy. I knew I would never sleep on mine as I prefer thin and fluffy pillows, but would use it for a decorative pillow sham form instead.

Every evening I would take the pillow off the bed and lean it against the nightstand so I wouldn't step on it if I had to get up to use the bathroom during the night. One night the pillow fell over and was lying on the floor. It was also the night I needed to get up for a half-awake, shuffle-to-the bathroom tinkle. I got out of bed, started shuffling off and then, "Thud! Crash! Whomp!" The next thing I knew, I was lying face down on the floor and I started laughing hysterically.

Ram Man, who was startled awake, thought I was crying and asked if I was ok. I gasped out, "I fell over a rock. I think it was my pillow!"

It took a good 10 minutes for the absurdity of the situation to wear off enough to finally get up and use the bathroom. To this day I am amazed that I didn't wet my pants and I will never be able to think of the rock pillow incident without giggling.

Sounds like a pillow I would LOVE!  My biggest complaint about pillows is they are all so soft and fluffy you head sinks into them and I end up without any real support for my head.  For years I had THREE old pillows stuffed into a single pillow case to make it firm enough for me to sleep.  However the cases have deteriorated to the point where they are just stuffing and so it's a lot harder to get them into the pillow case.  I have bought 6-7 pillows over the last couple of years and I've hated every one of them because they are too soft and squishy. I need to find where they sell "rock" pillows.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on your tastes.  I've never spent $100 for a pillow personally, but I do like nicer quality ones (not the cheap flat foam ones).

I borrowed my mother's My Pillow once to try it, and I didn't like it.  I had to change pillows in the middle of the night!  I found it too hard.  I prefer a pretty thick down pillow, one that I can puff up into a ball and it mostly holds its shape but sinks in some.  I can usually find pillows like that on sale at Macy's for under $50.

A couple of my daughters love the memory foam pillows, and we've gotten the Martha Stewart memory foam pillows for around $40 on sale (regularly about $100!).

My husband likes buckwheat, which probably cost around $50.  

So, I guess we'll pay up to $50, but not more than that!  ha  :)  I think even that is a lot for a pillow, but they last for years.

I had an expensive memory foam pillow that was perfect and lasted 15 years. It finally got too flat and now I have one I got from Tempurpedic that was around $100. It's awesome. I have neck issues and if the pillow is too flat or too high or whatever, I get some serious  neck pain. After my old one wore out, I tried several others but all of them caused issues. This Tempurpedic one is great. 

We have a My Pillow.  Got it for dh, and he didn't like it.  I tried it and didn't like it either (it's small, and too lumpy for my taste, and didn't support my neck the way I need it to).

So, I got a couple Snugglepedic pillows.  They're made (in the USA) from a combination of shredded memory foam and shredded regular foam.  The memory foam gives the support I like, and the regular foam keeps it loose and moldable.  It's not too hot because it has a bamboo cover.  I love it, especially as a side-sleeper.  It really supports my head in a neutral position, and cradles my neck to keep it from sagging down.  I love it.

Oh, and it's guaranteed 100% by the manufacturer.  If you don't like it for any reason, they recommend you wash and dry it.  If you still don't like it, they'll custom make one to your specifications.  

I got it at Amazon.

• Like 1

Yes I do. It is a Tempurpedic brand pillow and it's the only thing that fixed the "cricks" I was constantly getting in my neck. They don't make this one anymore so I don't know what I will do when it wears out! I was around $100 when I bought it a couple of years ago. Worth every flipping cent.

s

Me too! I have a recently made Tempurpedic pillow that fixes my neck issues. If I go without I notice it. Totally worth it to me. If I didn't have issues then I wouldn't use.

I'm off to investigate My Pillow and Snugglepedic.  I've tried three or four different pillows recommended by chiropractors, but have not been happy with any of them.  Lots of neck issues, probably from spending too much time in front of the computer reading threads on the welltrainedmind!

We have a My Pillow.  Got it for dh, and he didn't like it.  I tried it and didn't like it either (it's small, and too lumpy for my taste, and didn't support my neck the way I need it to).

So, I got a couple Snugglepedic pillows.  They're made (in the USA) from a combination of shredded memory foam and shredded regular foam.  The memory foam gives the support I like, and the regular foam keeps it loose and moldable.  It's not too hot because it has a bamboo cover.  I love it, especially as a side-sleeper.  It really supports my head in a neutral position, and cradles my neck to keep it from sagging down.  I love it.

Oh, and it's guaranteed 100% by the manufacturer.  If you don't like it for any reason, they recommend you wash and dry it.  If you still don't like it, they'll custom make one to your specifications.  

I got it at Amazon.

Okay-- off to look at this one too.

• 2 years later...

I'm incredibly picky about pillows.   and have had a terrible time finding one I can be happy with - despite buying  A LOT of different types of pillows over the years.  dh has been happy with some of my cast offs!

I recently bought a 2pk of SILK stuffed pillows on a deal from Costco.  they came in two densities, I purchased the thicker one for side sleepers.  so far, this is one of the better pillows I've had a way too many years.  it gives the support I need, but not too much - and no sore neck the next day!  I've had pillows in the past - three nights and they were evicted.

it was 2 queen pillows for $89? (they also had standard and king pillows.)

eta: I've bought a few pillows that were $100+ *each*.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have a Hullo buckwheat hull pillow and I adore it. I used to have horrible neck problems, but once I started using it my neck never hurt again. It stays cool in the summer, too. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred, maybe a bit less. 

The only con is that it's SUPER heavy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mergath said:

I have a Hullo buckwheat hull pillow and I adore it. I used to have horrible neck problems, but once I started using it my neck never hurt again. It stays cool in the summer, too. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred, maybe a bit less. 

The only con is that it's SUPER heavy.

Are you a side-sleeper or back-sleeper?

This is an old thread and I already commented on it back then....  🙂    But I do have a pillow that I love now!  It's one that someone on this board recommended.  It's the Snuggle-Pedic pillow.  I see it's around $70 now.  I have a weird thing with my ears, and when something rubs them for too long, they get really sore.  So even though I love down pillows, they eventually sink in during the night and my ears end up hurting.  The Snuggle-Pedic pillow is just soft enough to be comfortable, but very firm, so it keeps its shape once you've settled in.  Your head doesn't sink down.  It's very heavy!  But it sure does the trick for me.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2016 at 6:19 PM, BrittanyM said:

The down pillows at Costco. They're a much better deal for $30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some of these 20 years ago and they are still holding up. The ones I bought were from Pacific Downs and cost about $35 at the time. They are machine washable and dryable. They can also be laid in the sun to disinfect. Everyone in the family has two of these. My hubby wanted a little more stuffing in his so I took the filling out of two pillows and doubled up the filling in his two. He likes them but they are heavy and need to be washed in a heavy duty washer. Almost everyone in my family has allergies but these pillows don't seem to cause any problems. I highly recommend them.

I was having awful trouble sleeping and waking up with neck pain for about a year before I decided I might need a new pillow. Apparently a $5 pillow from Big Lots doesn’t last 20 years. Who knew? (This is one of those things I think of when I realize growing up poor really leaves some scars. Never occurred to me that someone would replace a pillow. Ever. )  We had been married twenty years and I know we had never replaced a pillow from our first apartment when we were broke.

Anyways, I went to Target and nearly broke down in tears looking at pillows. I was willing to spend the money but how do I know what kind of pillow I like? Down? Foam? What firmness? How the heck do I know? Poor people don’t know these things.

I was so flustered I bought one that was some kind of combo of foam and down for about $60. I love it and it made all the difference in my sleep and neck pain. I can’t believe I suffered so long. We also bought a couple My Pillows on the BOGO deal. We like those but my combo one from Target is our favorite. My dh wants one but Target isn’t selling the exact one right now so I need to search for something similar. 

• Like 1

I spent years trying to find a pillow that allowed me to sleep comfortably and not wake up with my neck hurting. I tried various types of fiberfill and memory foam pillows. I tried cheap ones and expensive ones. I made sure I bought pillows for side sleepers. I tried the kind with the neck cutout for side sleepers. I tried pillows that were recommended here on WTM (I might have even started a thread or two asking for pillow help). Each time I either hated it from the first night or it was fine for a week or two, but then started giving me neck aches.

Finally one of the searches I did brought up this latex foam pillow. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. When I was a kid my mother always got me what used to be called "foam rubber" pillows and they were perfect. I think at some point they fell out of favor. This one is basically the same kind of pillow I had growing up. I bought it in January and am still happy with it. 

On 4/16/2019 at 2:54 PM, J-rap said:

This is an old thread and I already commented on it back then....  🙂    But I do have a pillow that I love now!  It's one that someone on this board recommended.  It's the Snuggle-Pedic pillow.  I see it's around $70 now.  I have a weird thing with my ears, and when something rubs them for too long, they get really sore.  So even though I love down pillows, they eventually sink in during the night and my ears end up hurting.  The Snuggle-Pedic pillow is just soft enough to be comfortable, but very firm, so it keeps its shape once you've settled in.  Your head doesn't sink down.  It's very heavy!  But it sure does the trick for me.

That was me!!!  :biggrin:  I'm so glad the SnugglePedic pillow is working for you.  We're still loving ours.  This thread caused me to realize how long we've had them.  Over three years!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

That was me!!!  :biggrin:  I'm so glad the SnugglePedic pillow is working for you.  We're still loving ours.  This thread caused me to realize how long we've had them.  Over three years!  

Oh wow!  Well thank you so much for the recommendation!!  Honestly, it has made such a difference!  I've recommended it to a lot of people since then.  👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 1