Menu

What are your personal "rules" about drinking and driving?

6packofun

To me, saying that you shouldn't drive for say 12 hours after drinking makes as much sense as saying you need sunscreen at midnight....yes, sunscreen is important, and it important not to drive intoxicated. But you don't have a risk of sunburn in the dark, and you don't have alcohol in your system 8 hours after a single drink! 

12 hours...that would mean if I had a glass of champagne at new years I couldn't drive the next day at 11am???

I am a light weight when it comes to alcohol.  One glass of wine gets me very tipsy for at least 2 hours, and then very sleepy for several hours after that.  So, yes FOR ME, my PERSONAL rule is 12 hours.  Which makes perfect sense FOR ME. 

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Skip the name calling, please.
  • Like 2

I also notice that there are a lot of Canadians posting in this thread. From what my husband has explained to me, DUIs used to be a huge problem in Quebec (I assume Canada generally as well). So, the government really cracked down on it. From what I have observed, over the last 10 years of being around Canadians, they are much more concerned about this issue vs. Americans, so I think the government PSAs and laws have had an effect on the national mentality.

That, and the fact that the fines are massive and the demerits on your licence are huge (which makes it more expensive to renew) have greatly contributed to how most Canadians deal with drinking and driving. 

• Like 2

I am a light weight when it comes to alcohol.  One glass of wine gets me very tipsy for at least 2 hours, and then very sleepy for several hours after that.  So, yes FOR ME, my PERSONAL rule is 12 hours.  Which makes perfect sense FOR ME. 

As far as I know, there is no risk of intoxication or inebriation 4 hours after one drink. Now, if one is sleepy, sure, don't drive. But the OP was about a grown man having one drink. The idea that there would be ANY alcohol in his system 4 hours later is just not factually true. 

Other people, you included, can do what you like, but the implication was that it was safer to wait 12 hours than say 4. But if the blood alcohol is zero in both cases, it really isn't safer, at least as far as intoxication goes. Now, if one is sleepy for whatever reason, sure don't drive. 

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Deleted the quoted nastiness from the original post.
  • Like 2

That, and the fact that the fines are massive and the demerits on your licence are huge (which makes it more expensive to renew) have greatly contributed to how most Canadians deal with drinking and driving. 

I agree. I've also noticed that even speeding tickets are more of a pain in the arse in Canada -- no talking your way out of it, etc. like we have here. I explained to my husband that, if he ever got pulled over here, he needed to be extremely polite and contrite, and that he had a good shot of being let off with just a warning. That was something he had never seen before in Quebec.

Especially in California, in general, and unless you just get caught at a random stop/check point, you really have to be driving obnoxiously to get pulled over for speeding and/or a DUI. I only know one friend who has gotten a DUI, and she was a functioning alcoholic who drove drunk all the time. Nothing really happened to her over it either; she just got an attorney, paid whatever fine he negotiated, and that was that. She was still able to drive, etc. I don't know the details of her defense, but I get the feeling that this is not an uncommon result here in California.

ETA: "A good DUI defense attorney can often get 1st-time DUI charges reduced to a lesser offense (such as a "wet" reckless1,  dry reckless2, or exhibition of speed or "speed ex."3 ) and sometimes dismissed altogether."

http://www.shouselaw.com/first-time-dui.html

And now with Uber and Lyft, most people who are really concerned with drinking and driving have so many options.   

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

I agree. I've also noticed that even speeding tickets are more of a pain in the arse in Canada -- no talking your way out of it, etc. like we have here. I explained to my husband that, if he ever got pulled over here, he needed to be extremely polite and contrite, and that he had a good shot of being let off with just a warning. That was something he had never seen before in Quebec.

Especially in California, in general, and unless you just get caught at a random stop/check point, you really have to be driving obnoxiously to get pulled over for speeding and/or a DUI. I only know one friend who has gotten a DUI, and she was a functioning alcoholic who drove drunk all the time. Nothing really happened to her over it either; she just got an attorney, paid whatever fine he negotiated, and that was that. She was still able to drive, etc. I don't know the details of her defense, but I get the feeling that this is not an uncommon result here in California.

And now with Uber and Lyft, most people who are really concerned with drinking and driving have so many options.   

I think that not getting off with warnings has increased in the past 10 years.  It seems to me (and this is just anecdotal observation) that it coincided with the use of the dash cameras.  Every RCMP car I see has them.  Accountability is a strong motivator, I think.  It doesn't look too proper to let people off for legitimate infractions.

I am one of those people who lack the proper enzyme to metabolize alcohol so it has never been an issue for me since alcohol consumption leads to my being sound asleep or feeling sick.

I told ds if he valued his license and his driving privileges, no drinking ever while there is a chance he will have to drive. This includes having to think ahead that if you are out with only one other person and that person is drunk or otherwise incapacitated, you'd better be in a position to drive.

• Like 1

Depending on how long I am staying somewhere and whether a meal is involved, I will usually have a drink (beer or mixed drink) when I arrive at my location. IF I'm staying for hours (as in 4-5), I may have a second drink an hour later having had water and/or food in between. If I'm only gonna be a couple hours, I generally limit myself to the one drink if I'm expected to drive.

Edited by StaceyinLA

Just replying to this.  Have you heard the phrase "when in doubt, don't"? 

I agree with the other pp's - DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!   Not a good mix.  Not only are their lives at risk but everyone with whom they pass on the road (cars, walkers). 

They might "plan" to drink only 1 but who's to say that AFTER your dd spoke with you that they didn't have another?  That will only add to the above problem.

Drinking and driving don't mix!

• Like 2

Realized I never said what I do. I have one drink when I arrive, and drink it with an appetizer. Then have tea or water or whatever, with dinner. I more often than not don't actually finish that first drink. 

Where I get my nails done they give you wine, so if I'm getting a pedicure and manicure I'll have 1/2 a glass (which is really one serving, their glasses are big) while I get my toes done, then nothing after that. By the time she finishes the pedicure (I get the longer version) and my manicure I'm fine to drive. Sometimes though I have my hubby drop me off and run errands with the kids, so I can have a bit more and not worry about it. I'm going with a friend this weekend and we are just getting pedicures, so will be there less time. I'll have DH drop me off, or not drink, or take an uber maybe. Or maybe I'll go to her house, then we can Uber over together and split the cost. 

My personal rules:

If I'm driving someone else's kids, no drinks at all out of consideration for their parents' comfort (spoken and unspoken).

If I'm driving my kids, 1 straight drink with/before a meal or 1 mixed drink to model responsible social drinking to them.

If I'm driving myself I play it by ear, but I usually cap it at 2 drinks in public for no real reason - just seems appropriate?

Anytime I start to feel a buzz is the point I won't drive, even if I feel I'm able to (in the moment). At that point I'd consider myself to be driving "under the influence" because the alcohol would be affecting me physically and mentally. The Point of Buzz would depend on what I'd been drinking, what I'd been eating (or not eating), and how much time had passed. It usually takes 4-5 drinks in a short frame (like 1-3 hours) before I'll feel the effects of the alcohol. It's rare I'll drink that much socially, usually just at family weddings (hotel) or funeral wakes (home) where driving isn't an issue.

I have been drinking several days a week for almost 25 years and have a high tolerance. We typically drink with at least one meal every day at our house, and it's common to greet and send off guests with a shot. I like to end my day with a night cap and alcohol is the main ingredient in half of our home remedies for illness LOL. I also come from a country of heavy social drinkers but now live in the Bible Belt, which has a very different outlook on drinking and drinkers. I try to respect local culture while still living my own. The courtesy has never been returned, but that's another topic ...

Generally speaking, if we are out to dinner and have wine with dinner (usually only dh), the other will drive home.  However, Italian dinners can take hours.  At one restaurant, they serve a glass of proseco (like dry champagne) with an appetiser).  I will have that glass (about 1/3 cup)...and drive home the 3-4 hours later.  

If we are at a friends house, and I'm going to be there for 4+ hours, I may have a glass or two when I get there, and then nothing.  

I usually only drink at home, and not that often.  

This was taken from one of the many sites re: alcohol.  Hope this is helpful to someone!

Have you ever wondered why you feel the way that you do after drinking alcohol? The effects that alcohol has on your health start with how it's metabolized. Once alcohol is in your system, your body makes metabolizing it a priority. That means that it will stop metabolizing anything else in order to take care of the alcohol. This happens because unlike protein, carbohydrates, and fat, there is nowhere for alcohol to be stored in our body.

Once alcohol enters your stomach, up to 20% of it can be absorbed there and go directly into your bloodstream. Within minutes, alcohol will reach your brain and give the feeling of being a stimulant. No other food or beverage in your diet is able to do this. The remaining alcohol goes to your intestine and is absorbed there with the rest of the nutrients. A small amount of alcohol is excreted through sweat, saliva, urine, and your breath, which is how it is detected by a Breathalyzer.

When you drink alcohol, your blood alcohol concentration  (BAC) will rise rapidly. Within about 10 minutes of having a drink, there's enough alcohol in your blood to measure. The BAC is determined by how quickly alcohol is absorbed, distributed, metabolized, and excreted.

Edited by sheryl

For one drink, I would tend to allocate about an hour to be ok to drive.  So, if I met a friend at a pub, I'd probably have one beer or cider, and as long as we were there an hour, I'd drive, but usually it is longer than that anyway. (Though, that would be the smaller size of beer, not the big glass.)  I would be much less likely to do the same with red wine or liquor even though it technically works the same way, both go to my head.  My preference would be if I were under the tighter schedule, have a shandy or rattler, so very low alcohol content.

For a meal, say at my parents, with wine and food, I typically will have one glass with the meal, and maybe a port before, a small glass.  That's over about three hours, and I would be comfortable to drive.

• Like 1