Menu

Really? Things I read when shopping online for second hand furniture.

sunflowerlady

So, we are getting a new home soon and I need some bedroom furniture. I spend a good bit of time browsing online local FB sales groups and other online classifieds. 

Things I have seen include:

Someone selling a "chesser" drawers

Someone selling a "bump bed"

A person listed a bedroom set for sale. Someone replied and asked , "Does the mattress come with it?" Except that they spelled "come" with a short "u" and no "e" at the end.  :huh:

• Like 3

My mother used to look at the classified ads in the Pennysaver little circular we used to get, just because she found the typos amusing.

"Rot" iron fireplace screen.

"Chester" drawers

Those two were very common.

• Like 4

That's pretty painful. Spelling issues are a pet peeve of mine - I'm almost positive that's why my oldest is a poor speller (God teaching me patience with her :D).

My pet peeve is using the dollar sign BEHIND the number! 10$ instead of $10!!!!! GRRRRR! Where did they learn this?

I think the US is the outlier putting the $ sign first.  Most put it after (like with do the cents symbol).

• Like 2

The use of "sale" as a verb kills me every time.

I think that one is easier for people whose dialect does not make homophones of sale and sell. I mix them up on a regular basis because when I learned them as spoken words there was no differentiation. Basically I learned them as one word that could be either a verb or a noun, like many other words in the English language.

• Like 1

Eh well sometimes I chalk it up to typos or people typing on tiny phones or tablets. 

Some things may be, but around here, at least, people actually think the things really are "chester drawers" and "rod iron." It has nothing to do with spelling, lol.

• Like 3

So, I went on our local Craigslist last night after reading this thread, 'cause I live in a pretty rural area where people do use atrocious grammar and I was surprised to find no grammatical errors at all... but I was shocked at how much money people wanted for furniture that should clearly be in a dumpster somewhere, lol.

• Like 1

When my kids attended the public school for a few years, I would mentally correct teachers' notes home all the time.  It really was surprising -- the errors!  The biggest one was always "Your" -- which they'd spell as "You're" even when it was a possessive pronoun.

• Like 5

When my kids attended the public school for a few years, I would mentally correct teachers' notes home all the time.  It really was surprising -- the errors!  The biggest one was always "Your" -- which they'd spell as "You're" even when it was a possessive pronoun.

Oh man, this would really bother me.

• Like 2

When my kids attended the public school for a few years, I would mentally correct teachers' notes home all the time. It really was surprising -- the errors! The biggest one was always "Your" -- which they'd spell as "You're" even when it was a possessive pronoun.

Meh, I make those errors all the time too. I know the difference intellectually but my brain seems to skip some processing stage when typing homophones and pick any sound-alike word at random.

Words exist fundamentally in our brains as sound units, there are a lot of different things that have to come together when typing or writing to process those sound units into their much more contrived and artificial written form.

Even the words themselves are arbitrary, there is no particular reason that "chest of drawers" should not transform over time into "chester drawers"--every single word we speak or write has gone through many, many transformations through the centuries and millenia.

• Like 1

Meh, I make those errors all the time too. I know the difference intellectually but my brain seems to skip some processing stage when typing homophones and pick any sound-alike word at random.

Words exist fundamentally in our brains as sound units, there are a lot of different things that have to come together when typing or writing to process those sound units into their much more contrived and artificial written form.

Even the words themselves are arbitrary, there is no particular reason that "chest of drawers" should not transform over time into "chester drawers"--every single word we speak or write has gone through many, many transformations through the centuries and millenia.

Yeah, I don't know why possessive pronoun mistakes bug me so much!  Same as "it's" when it's supposed to be "its" --   :D

• Like 1

My parents still say "Chester drawer". Singular Ugh

I grew up in an area where this was said as well. I specifically remember as a teenager when I realized that this was not correct! It shocked me.

Oops...in my area, it was chester drawers.

Edited by Just Kate

I grew up in an area where this was said as well. I specifically remember as a teenager when I realized that this was not correct! It shocked me.

Oops...in my area, it was chester drawers.

Thing is, if chester drawers is what is said in you local dialect then it is correct for that dialect.

I bid thee to consider that tongues do verily differ and do transform themselves through space and time. --Quothe she.

:ohmy: Ack!!

• Like 1