Menu

What's with the ads?

angelaguptathomas

TV shows that make you "feel good."

So as to not highjack the other thread on TV shows, what shows make you feel good? When I need to unwind my 2 shows are Monk and MASH.  I could use a few other "feel good" shows after a long hard day.

Thanks.

For me, it's Gilmore Girls, Firefly, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, early seasons of Burn Notice, and Northern Exposure.

Oh, Brooklyn 99 for a current show.  Sometimes I watch HGTV and enjoy House Hunters or Beachfront Bargain Hunt to unwind and sometimes those same shows make me really annoyed.  ;)  Depends on the day. 

Edited by MrsBasil

A lot of the cozy mystery series I think.  Anything Agatha Christie, Father Brown.

Doc Martin.

• Like 5

Psych is a lot like Monk.  A little cartoonish, implausible, but charming and funny.

Leverage.  Exact same thing.  A team of con men / hackers / thieves team up  to do good deeds Robin-Hood style.  Very silly fun. 

I've been binging on New Girl.  The comics on that show are so good at making the writing feel improvised and muttering little asides and making things weirder than you'd expect.

• Like 1

I'm currently watching Gilmore Girls. I've never seen it before and it does have that *feel good* vibe for me. Other faves:

Seinfeld

Death in Paradise

Star Trek TNG

Doctor Who

Chips on meTV

Drives my kids crazy. Although since we switched providers I no longer have that channel. Sniff.

I've been binging on New Girl.  The comics on that show are so good at making the writing feel improvised and muttering little asides and making things weirder than you'd expect.

The New Girl is a total stealth love! On the surface, it sounds cheesy and dumb but it's _so_ good. I'm glad I dismissed it the first seasons because I got the complete joy of binging on it.

I'm a big fan of easy breezy laughy sitcoms. I mean, some times I get in moods that even Kimmy Schmidt is too much for me haha.

Of late, I've enjoyed Fresh Off The Boat and The Goldbergs. They are similar setups, but different characters. All the actors in both are stupendous. The kids on FOTB== :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I just binge watched the Good Witch. It's a really sweet small town charming show. It's a Hallmark show. Definitely a feel-good show.

• Like 1

X-Files.

I watched the first episode of the new season (actually, watched all of them, but this happened after the first episode), and just felt GOOD. Wasn't the best episode ever by any stretch, but it just scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

I like corny, sappy tv that doesn't make me think too hard when I want a lift.

Happy Days

Golden Girls

Frasier

Touched by an Angel

Little House on the Prairie

Highway to Heaven

Any ridiculous hallmark movie where all you need is a little Christmas magic

• Like 1

Orphan Black and Call the Mdwife are 'feel good' shows? Y'all must have really bad days that these make you feel better, lol. I'm binging on OB Season 3 right now, but it's pretty dark. But then one of my guilty pleasures is Vampire Diaries, but it's tongue in cheek dark :P

Edited by J&JMom

The Middle

The Office

Reba

Last Man Standing

Gilmore Girls

Little House on the Prairie

Community

Parks and Rec

ETA to add my dds are currently binge watching Glee. We've never watched it before. It's super cheesy and ridiculous but it's also been a feel good show. The exception being Finn / Corey's death. We all ugly cried during that episode.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

Parks and Recreation

Brooklyn 99

Frasier

Good Eats

Fixer Upper

Chuck

These are all my go-to if I need something light and fluffy. Right now it is Chuck for when Dh is working over night, and Fixer Upper for folding laundry. 😀

I've been watching all of the seasons of Murder She Wrote on Netflix. It's definitely feel-good.

I'm also watching The Sopranos (never saw it when it aired), which is pretty intense. After a Sopranos episode or two I need to watch Jessica Fletcher solve a murder just so I can relax.  :D

Orphan Black and Call the Mdwife are 'feel good' shows? Y'all must have really bad days that these make you feel better, lol. I'm binging on OB Season 3 right now, but it's pretty dark. But then one of my guilty pleasures is Vampire Diaries, but it's tongue in cheek dark :p

Dh and I like Orphan Black, but I wouldn't put it in the feel good category either. As for Call the Midwife, I'm caught up now and there hasn't been One. Single. Episode. that didn't make me cry - and not good crying either. It's a very good show but another one I wouldn't call feel-good.

• Like 1

I went looking for Northern exposure.  Where is that one found?  Netflix or Hulu didn't have it.

I think Netflix had it on disk only.  It may be gone though.

Orphan Black and Call the Mdwife are 'feel good' shows? Y'all must have really bad days that these make you feel better, lol. I'm binging on OB Season 3 right now, but it's pretty dark. But then one of my guilty pleasures is Vampire Diaries, but it's tongue in cheek dark :p

I can see Call the Midwife.  It has sad and serious bits, but a lot of them are bittersweet, and I think it is a very optimistic show.  Shows that are too sunny to me don't feel good so much as they feel a little fake an dglossy.

To me, a show like Call the Midwife or Poldark (which I'm watching these days) is feel-good because of the catharsis effect. If I'm feeling kinda crummy or rundown, seeing people tackle a problem, struggle, then continue going makes me feel good. Something purely funny is enjoyable but doesn't get me out of a crummy mood.

• Like 2

I didn't sleep all night, thanks to storms and other reasons.

Anyway, I flipped on "I Love Lucy".

Ethel:  Come on Fred, Let's go with them.  I haven't taken a trip for 20 years.

Fred:  We took a nice trip to Minnesota.

Ethel:  We went to Mayo Clinic to have my gallstones removed. 

That's funny stuff right there, to me. 

• Like 1

I didn't sleep all night, thanks to storms and other reasons.

Anyway, I flipped on "I Love Lucy".

Ethel:  Come on Fred, Let's go with them.  I haven't taken a trip for 20 years.

Fred:  We took a nice trip to Minnesota.

Ethel:  We went to Mayo Clinic to have my gallstones removed. 

That's funny stuff right there, to me. 

The time Ethel and Lucy were wrapping chocolates on the conveyor.  Too funny.  I haven't watched those in ages!

• Like 1

Orphan Black leans more on the 'unwind/escape' side for me.  The soccer mom character is pretty hilarious though.  Maybe it's more dark humor?  (which I like if it's done well) 

I read a review of Orphan Black somewhere saying that it was a very dark drama, with not much humor. I had to question the person's intelligence - is it all totally flying over their head?

ETA to add my dds are currently binge watching Glee. We've never watched it before. It's super cheesy and ridiculous but it's also been a feel good show. The exception being Finn / Corey's death. We all ugly cried during that episode.

Glee, along with Orphan Black and Grimm, are the shows I'm attempting to finish before I start school again and have to stop binge-watching.

I'm enjoying them all, but wouldn't call them feel-good. I really tried to have Glee be feel-good comfort food TV, but either their self-centered drama is pissing me off, or it's hitting too close to home. 

One of the shows that I can watch anytime, anywhere is Supernatural.  Definitely a feel good show for me, even though it has lots of  torture and angst and really mean angels.   But it knows to be funny and rewards fans - like OB.  It's twisty, it's clever, it's a comic book in TV show form.

Oh and yes Vampire Diaries.  Same thing.  Now that'd be a fun tv crossover.  (Ha, it's probably happened in fanfiction!)

OH!  OH! OH!  Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Can't believe this is a show on TV and I can't believe it's been renewed- a musical with funny original songs! - try a song or two? My favorites are probably Settle for Me and JAP Rap Battle and Good At Yoga (be warned, youtube versions are R rated )

Edited by poppy

I've just started watching Person of Interest.  It's an intense show, but the idea of the "good guys in the shadows making things right" is feel-good.  Some episodes have a Leverage feel.

Mindy Project, with a couple of exceptions (some eps were downers). Some of the lines in the show just crack me up ("On the way home, can we stop on the Pizza Hut side of the restaurant?"). It's on hulu. There are a few other comedies I watch on there as well -- Goldbergs, Fresh Off the Boat, Blackish (but it seems to have jumped the shark this year)