Menu

A chemistry set to supplement Apologia Young Explorers Chemistry & Physics???

I think I've decided that I want to use Apologia Young Explorers Chemistry & Physics with my group of 5 girls who are all working on about 7th grade level. I think this book will be exactly right for their reading abilities, but to enhance their interest, I would like to purchase a fairly inexpensive chemistry set to supplement/substitute with experiments using real chemicals. (Read: They'll be more interested if they get to make something dramatic happen--a flash, a pop, or color change--by mixing some stuff together.) Do you know of adecent quality chemistry set that would pair well with this Apologia text?

Edited by ereks mom

I don't but..

The activities in the book will allow for "dramatic" activities with just vinegar & baking soda and also (kids' favorite) diet coke and Mentos. It's been a few years so I don't remember everything that you do. But if you buy everything on the supply list for all the activities, your kids will get plenty of hands on fun. I would probably put my money into buying enhancements for some of the specific activities. For example, there's one where you make a hurricane in a bottle. Ours did not turn out very well. But you can by a special... thingy... to screw on in place of the regular cap, and that's supposed to make it work better. 

It did make my son want a chemistry set... unfortunately, by the time he got one last Christmas from my parents, he had developed a phobia and has yet to play with it. Therefore I can't say how good that particular set was :( It was a Thames and Kosmos set, but I don't remember which one. C1000? It's probably a great set; my dad is good at picking that sort of thing out. Not a terribly helpful response, but since no one else has... 

• Like 1

I don't but..

The activities in the book will allow for "dramatic" activities with just vinegar & baking soda and also (kids' favorite) diet coke and Mentos. It's been a few years so I don't remember everything that you do. But if you buy everything on the supply list for all the activities, your kids will get plenty of hands on fun. I would probably put my money into buying enhancements for some of the specific activities. For example, there's one where you make a hurricane in a bottle. Ours did not turn out very well. But you can by a special... thingy... to screw on in place of the regular cap, and that's supposed to make it work better. 

It did make my son want a chemistry set... unfortunately, by the time he got one last Christmas from my parents, he had developed a phobia and has yet to play with it. Therefore I can't say how good that particular set was :( It was a Thames and Kosmos set, but I don't remember which one. C1000? It's probably a great set; my dad is good at picking that sort of thing out. Not a terribly helpful response, but since no one else has... 

Thank you for your comments! I'm actually thinking about looking at my Apologia high school level Physics and Chemistry books to see if any of those experiments will substitute for some of the ones in the Young Explorers book.