Menu

How bad is it to be in RS Level D for 4th grade?

Somehow we got behind in math....I think mostly because I'm paranoid and wasn't sure if material was mastered in level C so we did lot's of review.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and had a little panic attack that DS is a full year behind in math :-( ...Is schooling over the summer the best way to catch up? Other suggestions?

We are using the 2nd edition and will likely use Video Text after Level G.

That has you finishing level F in sixth grade, which should have you ready for pre-algebra in seventh, and algebra in eighth. Even if you need a bonus year in there to shore up any skills between RS and pre-A, it would have you at Algebra in ninth. That's still in a good place, IMO.

• Like 4

We got behind as well. We use CLE.

He does math every weekday, even during Christmas break and summer break and any other break. I give him off on Thanskgiving Day and Christmas Day. And that's it. Labor day? We do math. Memorial day? We do math. Easter/spring break? We do math.

For CLE there are two quizzes and a test for each workbook (there are 10 workbooks per year). We skip the quizzes and tests, so that means that for each book, we gain 3 days' work. Is there anything like that for RS? Can you skip tests/quizzes and jump ahead a lesson from time to time?

I had to stop thinking in terms of 9-10 months a year for school and think in terms of 12 months a year for school, at least for math. With 12 months a year to work in, plus skipping anything you can (like quizzes/tests) you can gain a level over a period of time. It will take us about 2 years to advance 3 levels doing it the way I am.

You can also do math on weekends if you need to as well, though the student usually fights pretty hard against that one. But you could do it if you must.

Thanks Jackie :-)

The second edition that we are using has a new level e thrown in see attachment) so level G wouldn't be until 7th grade. :-/ I'm not sure what the content is, I wish I knew if it would be a problem or not.

THanks for the ideas Garga, it's good to know that it can be done ;-)

post-35014-0-01746000-1466286859_thumb.png

post-35014-0-01746000-1466286859_thumb.png

Level F is the new one. The levels are letters for a reason. My 7th grader is 3/4 of the way through level E (1st ed obviously).

If you are in D in 4th, it would be E in 5th and F in 6th as posted above, if you can do a level a year. Lots of time. And honestly, the firm foundation is more important than pushing on past understanding.

So let's see... at your pace, Level G and pre-algebra for 7 and 8. Algebra for 9.

At the start of each webinair on how to teach a level, there is a bit answering "what if I have an older student" and honestly, your student isn't really considered "older" for their level. It will be fine, honest.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Math is also a subject which is not necessarily a steady pace with the developing brain. You never know when something like fractions will just click into place. If you are wanting to catch up, pay attention to when it appears your student really has grasped a subject. At that point, they may not need 15 repetitions and 5 will do. This gives more time to keep working on the peskier content which actually needs 20 reps instead of 15.

He does math every weekday, even during Christmas break and summer break and any other break. I give him off on Thanskgiving Day and Christmas Day. And that's it. Labor day? We do math. Memorial day? We do math. Easter/spring break? We do math.

I had to stop thinking in terms of 9-10 months a year for school and think in terms of 12 months a year for school, at least for math. With 12 months a year to work in, plus skipping anything you can (like quizzes/tests) you can gain a level over a period of time. It will take us about 2 years to advance 3 levels doing it the way I am.

You can also do math on weekends if you need to as well, though the student usually fights pretty hard against that one. But you could do it if you must.

Ditto.  I have one kiddo who is REALLY REALLY not mathy.  I mean the unmathiest kid you ever heard of.  We do math year-round, and I don't mean 10 minutes a day.  We work HARD for 1.5 to 2 hours a day on math, and yet my 11 year old just finished Singapore 3B.  But she knows that material inside out!  

Honestly, I don't care if we don't get to algebra on time.  I want to get there knowing that she has a very firm foundation and will be able to succeed.  Better to know it well and be late than know it halfway and be on the regular schedule.  

In addition to our regular work, I have this kiddo reviewing math facts for 5 minutes 3 times a day, 7 days a week.  I know it sounds like overkill, but seriously, twice a day five days a week didn't make it stick at all.  Three times a day 7 days a week seems to finally be the magic amount - I am FINALLY seeing some retention!  

All that to say - do what you have to do, even if it is somewhat painful short-term because it isn't the societal norm.  You can survive anything for a season, especially if it is a season when you do less schoolwork in other subjects.  

• Like 1

My dd just finished D in 4th grade. She is very good at math and moved song great by got "behind" in public school. We are working through the summer in Beast and Math Mammoth to catch up on some missed concepts and I really hope to love through E quickly, but I may jump ship altogether. She loves it but the lessons are very time consuming.

To pick up the pace here, my ds works on math for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. He can usually finish 1 1/2 or 2 RS lessons in that amount of time. Have you tried something like that?

My ds is doing math through the summer, but not every day.

As cool as RS is, and as great as my oldest's mental math is because of it, we got behind too and I just could not move fast enough to challenge her or get ahead. So, we jumped ship to Math Mammoth and a bit of BA. I just couldn't teach another RS lesson, especially 2 a day with 7yo coming behind.

Thanks Jackie :-)

The second edition that we are using has a new level e thrown in see attachment) so level G wouldn't be until 7th grade. :-/ I'm not sure what the content is, I wish I knew if it would be a problem or not.

THanks for the ideas Garga, it's good to know that it can be done ;-)

No, I was including the extra level in second edition. Level G is considered a separate thing from the elementary program, and RightStart recommends that G be gotten underway and then be done concurrently with pre-A/Algebra. (The answer to their "what to use after" question: http://rightstartmath.com/resources/faqs/) So you would still be starting pre-A in 7th if you progress at one level per year.

• Like 2

I have also just finished RS C (2nd ed) with a third grader.  We switched from Saxon 2nd grade last year to the 2nd grade level of RS (based on placement tests and consulting with RS customer service), and surprisingly did not find very much that was not new.  I had grand plans to accelerate C and complete it by early spring, but it actually did take us the full 9 months to complete.  I find RS can be intense and time-consuming, and difficult to compact.  I am in awe of Momofeat's ability to  do more than one lesson in a sitting!

While I have some anxiety about being a little bit behind, I actually do not feel a full year behind -- maybe half a year?  I find that RS C covered more than the typical 2nd grade math, and have heard that RS is slightly accelerated.  I do know that DD is very solid on what she learned in RS C, and is no longer confused about borrowing and place value.  We have been reviewing for her standardized test, and DD has been doing quite well with the Spectrum 3rd grade test prep booklet, even though she has officially only completed 2nd grade math.  

While I do have RS D (2nd ed), my current plan is to move to BA 3 this summer and see if we can make some more progress with that to get DD back on grade level.  I think math during the summer is our only option

I have also just finished RS C (2nd ed) with a third grader.  We switched from Saxon 2nd grade last year to the 2nd grade level of RS (based on placement tests and consulting with RS customer service), and surprisingly did not find very much that was not new.  I had grand plans to accelerate C and complete it by early spring, but it actually did take us the full 9 months to complete.  I find RS can be intense and time-consuming, and difficult to compact.  I am in awe of Momofeat's ability to  do more than one lesson in a sitting!

While I have some anxiety about being a little bit behind, I actually do not feel a full year behind -- maybe half a year?  I find that RS C covered more than the typical 2nd grade math, and have heard that RS is slightly accelerated.  I do know that DD is very solid on what she learned in RS C, and is no longer confused about borrowing and place value.  We have been reviewing for her standardized test, and DD has been doing quite well with the Spectrum 3rd grade test prep booklet, even though she has officially only completed 2nd grade math.  

While I do have RS D (2nd ed), my current plan is to move to BA 3 this summer and see if we can make some more progress with that to get DD back on grade level.  I think math during the summer is our only option

Just going to piggyback on Squawky Acres post above. I also felt "behind" this year with a 2nd grader working though Level C - 2nd ed. (she started C in December so we're around Lesson 100). We just got results from standardized testing, and she tested at 3.3 for grade equivalent in math computation. She's really not a 'mathy' kid, so that confirms for me that RightStart (even the 2nd ed) is somewhat accelerated. So, we will continue to work some through the summer and probably wrap up C sometime in the fall, and I'm ok with that.

I like (and my DD liked) so much about RS but it's just too over-loaded a program.  Like you, I just always felt behind.  Plus, it started to be a slog to get through.  At our rate it felt like it would take 3 years to finish the D level, ugh.  And not because my DD didn't understand it.  So I've ditched it and gone back to BA this summer-- it just moves faster and is less frustrating for both of us.  I finally feel like there's movement again.  (This decision was brought on by a similar late-night worry fest on my part, totally get it!) 

I like (and my DD liked) so much about RS but it's just too over-loaded a program.  Like you, I just always felt behind.  Plus, it started to be a slog to get through.  At our rate it felt like it would take 3 years to finish the D level, ugh.  And not because my DD didn't understand it.  So I've ditched it and gone back to BA this summer-- it just moves faster and is less frustrating for both of us.  I finally feel like there's movement again.  (This decision was brought on by a similar late-night worry fest on my part, totally get it!) 

Yes, I'm hoping to use BA 3 as a catch-up over the summer and through the fall (per the advice of other WTM-ers on this forum when I posted my RS panic).  We have already completed most of 3A, just using it as a supplement this year, and a few topics will just be review after completing RS C, so I am expecting it will go a lot more quickly -- even allowing for extra time spent pondering the more difficult problems.