Menu

Cheeses are expensive

TravelingChris

I am allergic to cow milk, but can tolerate sheep milk, I buy sheep milk yoghurt and sheep cheese.

I got the food allergies when my son was young, he called my sheep cheese "cheap cheese." We all laughed because it is more expensive than regular cheese. I buy a whole wheel of sheep manchego at a time to prevent contamination, plus I get a 10% discount for buyng it that way. The kids are older now, but it is a family joke to call it "cheap cheese." It is a yummy cheese, even if it is actually "sheep," and not cheap.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

We go to a cheese tour every year at the end of summer.  Half the farms are sheep or goat and the other cow.  But OH the cheese is divine.  So so sooooooo good.  There is one particular goat cheese at one farm that I swear to you tastes like delicious savory whipped cream.  I've never had goat cheese that good.  And goat isn't my favorite in general.

• Like 5

We go to a cheese tour every year at the end of summer.  Half the farms are sheep or goat and the other cow.  But OH the cheese is divine.  So so sooooooo good.  There is one particular goat cheese at one farm that I swear to you tastes like delicious savory whipped cream.  I've never had goat cheese that good.  And goat isn't my favorite in general.

I would love to do something like that!

We always have a drawer full of cheese in the fridge.  I buy the cheap "basic" cheeses at Aldi - they are fine for grilled cheese, quesadillas, etc.  But then there's the good stuff.... ahhh....  Trader Joe's does have a lot of good cheeses for good prices too. 

• Like 2

I have a cheese problem.  

Not only is it expensive but it seems to be addictive as all get out...  the riper and smellier the better...

You should come visit me-  they still make Limburger near me and oh my it's easy to tell when someone has ordered it in a restaurant!

• Like 1

http://www.cheese.com/ameribella/

That guy is a local and so smelly it has to live in the garage fridge but I love it.  LOL  The butteriness of it is amazing.

I ate practically a whole thing of this Trillium last weekend or the weekend before.  My daughter did not help as much as usual.

http://www.tuliptreecreamery.com/products/

I lived in Switzerlnd with a host family and we went to Emmental and Appenzell.  LOL  I love cheese....

• Like 1

to make 1 kg of tasty cheese it takes approx. 10 litres of milk. plus cheese has to be stored to age. In reality it is pretty cheep

I don't know about that.  It's WAY WAY WAY cheaper in Germany, but their food in general is not way cheaper.

Although we do have some inexpensive cheeses.  But they are better for putting in or on food and not so special otherwise. 

For Melissa,  the cheeses I am buying are more like 8 dollars for a .bit less than .25kg of cheese.  That is much more than it seems to be in Australia or maybe we are talking about different kinds of cheese.  We can get cheeses here that are a lot less but they aren't specialty cheeses.  They are domestic and mass produced on a gigantic scale.  I can't even think how much shredded mozzarella Kraft makes in a day considering almost every grocery stores has plenty on hand.

cheese here is expensive as well. Tasty cheese is around $10 for 1 kg block. That is the cheapest and it goes way up after that. Parmesan ( block  or grated) is around $29kg. Hard cheeses like Parmesan etc have to be kept in cool conditions for 12 months or longer to age. Making cheese is not a cheep process and storage for months is an added expense. Specialty cheeses have a very involved process to make- hence the expensive price and really they are meant to be a special treat- that is why they are called specialty cheese.

Miyoko's cultured nut cheeses start at over 1USD/oz.  By the time they get transported to Canada & we do the $ exchange, it's really expensive for us - but I guess the price is comparable to other artisanal cheeses..

Oh my, those look amazing. :drool5: I'm bookmarking the site.

• Like 1

We all love cheese in our house, and if money were no object (well, and calories/health), we'd buy an assortment every week. We have an annual tradition of buying a bunch of different cheese for New Year's Eve, and sampling them while we play board games, watch movies, etc. It's a special treat that we all look forward to.

• Like 2

I would love to have a walk in cheese closet.  It is expensive, I have to confess, I buy block cheese for the kids.

They like the expensive stuff though, there is a local cheese called Dragon's Breath that they will just destroy if they are allowed to.