Menu

Science for 1st grade, K5.5 and 3 yr old tagging along?!

Momma4

Hi, 2017 will be our first year homeschooling, actually any form of schooling since we chose to delay formal education until 7yrs.

So, I'll be teaching reading, writing and maths to my 7yr old and will have the K5.5er and 3 yr old tagging along and whilst I don't expect anything from them I know they'll want to be involved.

What would you all recommend for Science? I liked the idea of Elemental Science, especially the sassafras books but from what I've read it's pretty light on science. I know my kids will love any kind of experiment but I need something that is open and go, subscribes somewhat to the classical approach and has easy, fun experiments. So I'm considering The Real Science Odyssey. Do you think this would be a good fit, taking into account my 7yr old will just be starting to learn to read and write? I could get him to dictate his answers to me.

What particular area of science would you begin with - Biology etc?

Xx

REAL Science Odyssey Biology would probably be a good fit. The experiments are pretty easy but also fun. I like the lab sheets because they encourage the scientific method of making a hypothesis and then recording results and answering a few questions about what happened.

• Like 1

There are so many different science programs out there that I think it's just what is a best fit for your family.

Our kiddos are similar in ages and we are doing RSO chemistry. I'm not following the classical sequence. Just whatever my oldest seems to be interested in and what is appropriate.

At that age my girls LOVED the Grammar Stage Biology program from Elemental Science. The nice thing about her program is that you get a two day and a 5 day schedule so you can do what fits in best in your home. Also for an additional fee, you can buy the experiment box that has all the stuff you need for your experiments. This has been a lifesaver for me! I love her programs, we will be doing Physics this fall. 

This isn't open-and-go, but I always like to throw it out there:  Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.  Even if you use this book only as reference material for yourself, it will make YOU a better science teacher and give you a good idea for the scope and sequence of elementary science.  I can't praise this book enough.  :-)

• Like 3

We did RSO Chemistry this past year and it was scheduled two times per week. Each lesson took us 20-40 minutes to complete the reading, lab, and lab sheet. There's no reason you couldn't couldn't combine two lessons or just do a lesson per week and stretch the curriculum over two years.

I also like the Let's Read And Find Out series for those ages from the library.

For those ages I would recommend Magic School Bus, Cat in the Hat, Let's Read and Find Out, and Usborne Beginner Science books- they are internet linked so they have web pages to expand your lessons.  Otherwise, I'd just explore nature.  You can find simple fun experiements on Pintrest if your kids take an interest in something you read about. 

• Like 3

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations everyone.

I had a look at Mystery Science but there only seems to be a few lessons and many are for the older ages. Did I miss a section on their webpage maybe?

I was thinking maybe we could get away with reading some Usborne books and finding our own interest led experiments but I fear it just won't get done, so I'm leaning more towards a programme that I have to follow and stick to.

I'll have a look at the other suggestions you've all made. Thanks again. Xx

Have you downloaded the REAL Science sample? I would do so. There is a lot of writing and data collection in the Biology edition for those ages, IMO. There are some positives to the curriculum, but it's not open-and-go. There isn't a lot of teaching with it. It's more an activity supplement.

We started with it when DD was 5-5.5 years old. You can see her completing some of the labs in the link below and what we ultimately ended up doing with it.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/R.E.A.L.%20Science%20Odyssey - Scroll back to read from the beginning.

A good suggestion. There are many out-of-print ones too you could track down (or read online at openlibrary.org) to round out your unit/theme/cycle. You can pair them with The Magic School Bus and/or Bill Nye DVDs too. There are experiments on the Bill Nye DVDs as well.

ETA: I actually found this combo so good that I created a homeschool helper for the ones dealing with the human body.

http://www.currclick.com/product/86146/Exploring-the-Human-Body-with-Four-Favorite-Science-Series--Unit-Study?manufacturers_id=808

Let's Read and Find Out!!!

Seriously, just check out every book in that series that you can find. Read them together on the couch, discuss and do the simple experiments. Your children will learn so much. Easy. Stress free.

Edited by pitterpatter

Great ideas, thank you.

Yea I've downloaded the sample and writing was a worry for me, but I thought they could dictate it to me.

I've also considered not having a curriculum at all for science and just reading lots of books and the odd experiment here and there. What worries me with this is that it may not get done or will be completely uncohesive.

Thankfully I've got time to decide 😃

I was even considering reading the sasaffras books at bedtime. We spend ages reading in bed 😄

We did Sonlight's kindergarten science last year, uses mostly Usborne books.  I bought a core, but you can purchase science separately from Sonlight or Bookshark.  Science was probably the most favorite thing we did during Kindergarten, and the kit of supplies makes it fairly easy to do an experiment each week.  If I had to pull all the strange materials together, we'd never do a science demo.