Menu

Tips for NYC

Heatherwith4

We are taking a girl's trip to NYC next month. 4 nights with me, DD6, my MIL, SIL, and 16 yo niece. Please spam me with tips! I've never been, and MIL and SIL haven't been in a long time.

Already on the agenda is a Broadway show and taking a ferry ride to see the Statue of Liberty.

TIA!

I was just there for my second time a month ago, so I am not by any means a professional at NYC.  I went just to see a Broadway show (Tuck Everlasting - INCREDIBLE, but already closed…don't get me started.  Your DD would have LOVED it, I bet…).  We also saw School of Rock there, too.  As far as the shows go, make sure you ask where the stage door is if you are interesting in meeting the cast.  Some of the cast always comes out to take pictures, sign autographs, and chat after the performance, and they are always super lovely and gracious and happy to greet folks.  

Times Square is interesting to visit, and GMA tapes there if you want to be on TV early in the morning.  :)  I personally loved the M&M store in Times Square.  We didn't do a ton of sightseeing either trip (both trips were specifically to see shows, so we stayed pretty focused on that).  I would have liked to see the 9/11 Memorial.

The one thing I will add is that if you look at the website for information, the subway is actually really convenient and easy to use to get around.  We ended up taking a 30 minute Subway ride out to Inwood where a college friend just opened the most insanely amazing chocolate bakery.  Subway was easy and we felt very safe.

• Like 2

Good shoes. You need really, really good shoes. If you have two pairs, then you can switch them up so that the blister spots are given a break. :o) Went to see my daughter and had a blast. But my feet hurt the whole time, even with my good shoes. I walked all over Central Park the first day, and from then on, I had to pace my walking a lot more. Loved the Met. Loved it. Wish I'd had more time there.

• Like 1

Listening in to this thread!  (But I can't find the listening-in emoji with the big ears -- boohoo that it's apparently gone.)

Dh absolutely CANNOT walk long distances, so it should be an interesting, different trip.  Even the tube and metro in other cities have been tough for him because of the stairs and turnstiles.

• Like 1

Listening in to this thread! (But I can't find the listening-in emoji with the big ears -- boohoo that it's apparently gone.)

Dh absolutely CANNOT walk long distances, so it should be an interesting, different trip. Even the tube and metro in other cities have been tough for him because of the stairs and turnstiles.

Thanks to über, cabs are easier than ever to get. (Maybe not on a rainy day.)

• Like 1

What days are you coming, if you don't mind my asking?

7/28-8/1

I have already thought about the comfy shoes. I have my clunky Keen sandals that I wore to Disney last year, and I'm also hoping to find a slightly cuter option.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are staying near Madison Square Garden, if that helps with suggestions. I think the fashion museum is something we will try.

Your kids will love Dylans Candy Bar (it's like Willy Wonka came to life)

I lived in NYC for over 7 years and hate hate hate the subway. In the summer it can be hot and smelly. The bus may take longer but it's fun for some inexpensive sightseeing.

Central Park Zoo is really nice (small but nice) and the kids section is really fun.

Tick Tock Diner is right by Madison Square Garden. Nice, clean, good food, not cheap but not crazy expensive.

Edited by gingersmom
  • Like 1

We were just there for a day and a half and crammed in A LOT of stuff!

We stayed in Brooklyn, so we took the train into the city, but here's what we did.  Oh, and I was there with my husband, ex-husband, and three kids (19, 13, and 12).  We all had a fabulous time.

Day 1 (1/2 day, really):  Lower Manhattan.  9/11 Memorial and Museum, Wall Street and the Financial District, Battery Park

Day 2:  Today Show filiming, NBC studio tour (so cool!), Top of the Rock, then walked to St. Patrick's Cathedral, uber to the Intrepid Museum, then uber to Central Park, where we walked a ton of it. Uber to Times Square, because we love it best at night.

We considered doing the Met that day, but skipped it.  We also were going to do the Museum of Natural History, but ran out of time.  DD19 went the next day with her dad.  

Unlike a previous poster, I find the train really easy to navigate, but because we were so pressed for time, we ubered (actually Lyft, because it's cheaper), a lot.  NYC taxis really can't fit more than 4 people (some will cram in 5, but they are not required to, legally), so Uber XL or Lyft Plus were perfect for us.  Abundant and quick, and you always get discounts the first time you use the apps.

• Like 3

We too are headed there this summer. For those in the know, what is the best way to get around with one person in a wheelchair? We plan to walk as much as possible. I know dh said some subway stations are not wheelchair accessible. Are all buses accessible? Are any of the Uber/Lyft cars big SUVs or minivans that could fit a wheelchair?

Are all buses accessible?

Yes, and nowadays most of them are wheelchairs get on at the front, too - so they're fast!

I would not attempt to navigate the subway in a wheelchair unless I checked each station I was using first (including transfers) to make sure it was accessible. Most stations are not accessible.

• Like 1

Your kids will love Dylans Candy Bar (it's like Willy Wonka came to life)

I lived in NYC for over 7 years and hate hate hate the subway. In the summer it can be hot and smelly. The bus may take longer but it's fun for some inexpensive sightseeing.

Central Park Zoo is really nice (small but nice) and the kids section is really fun.

Tick Tock Diner is right by Madison Square Garden. Nice, clean, good food, not cheap but not crazy expensive.

If you're going to Dylan's stop for frozen hot chocolate at serendipity 3.

• Like 2

Sounds like you'll be in one of the hotels where Ds plays chess. I have a few suggestions that would not be destinations in themselves, but they are so close you could nip out for a minute.

-- shops on 34th street include Zara, H&M, both good for budget but stylish fashion.

-- Macy's. The flagship store on 34th street is just unbelievably huge, worth a look.

-- Koreatown on 32nd street has restaurants and a mall with Korean fast food.

-- post office building on 8th ave is magnificent. The old Penn Station, which was TORN DOWN, was even more spectacular. Just a bit of history.

Repeating, not destinations, but so, so close to where you will be that you might want to be aware of them.

ETA

Don't think about the McDonald's on 8th ave and 34th street, AFAIK, it is still a place where drug addicts hand out and conduct business.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Sounds like you'll be at Hotel Pennsylvania or New Yorker. Ds plays chess in both locations. I have a few suggestions that would not be destinations in themselves, but they are so close you could nip out for a minute.

Well, neither of those places, but pretty close. I'm not really comfy saying exactly where since I already said our dates. :) Those suggestions will be very helpful - thanks!

We've enjoyed the MET at all ages. Well dd wasn't too happy when ds wanted to carefully examine *all* the armor. haha But we kept a sketch pad handy to entertain her. Central Park has swings and playgrounds. You can walk south or take the 5th ave bus downtown from the museum. You need a transit card, available in subway stations and the train stations or exact change for the bus.  Noodle Town in China Town is a long time favorite restaurant for us. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I just found a NYT article about the McDonald's. Yeah I think we will avoid going there.

Yes, that was the article I saw. I used to ask Ds to wait right outside that McDonald's so I could pick him up after chess around 12 pm- midnight. It did not feel weird, but the traffic was so horrendous -- no place to pull over -- that we stopped. I was horrified when I saw the article, as I had suggested it as an economical place for a meal during multi day tournaments. Thank goodness he chow a nearly sandwich place,

When Ds was younger and I stayed with him during chess, we ate at the Tick Tock diner someone here mentioned. Personally, I thought it was overpriced. And, if you google, you can find stories about how the manager there was involved in a murder for hire plot.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1