Menu

HST+ v HSTOnline

I have used HST+ for years.  Now that we are upgrading computers, I am considering moving to HSTOnline.  It bugs met that there is a yearly fee.  

Has anyone used both?  How did you find the transition?  Did you feel that you lost functionality?  Is it worth the cost?

Edited by Tracy

I've used both and I really like HST online much better.  I think it's more user-friendly and has more features.  I used the CD version for years but never really felt confident until I switched over to HST online.  For me, it's a good value.  I purchase two years subscriptions at a time now because I know I'm using it for the long haul and get a bit of a discount that way.

I *think* the company is no longer updating the older version so that may be a consideration for you as you choose also.

Funny. I have spent the last two days working on this. I have a splitting headache and my husband is bringing me dinner home. :)

That being said! I used the free one (HST+) a couple of years ago. My biggest gripe is that you can't reschedule assignments. So you wake up tomorrow and decide to skip school? Sorry outta luck. That is a breaking point for me. It isn't exactly pretty, either.;) I believe their website says something about not supporting any other versions and only focusing on the online version now.

I bought a 1 mo. subscription of the online version yesterday. I think it was $7.50/mo. I spent all day yesterday inputting items for the fall. I spent all day today fixing a few things and adding a few more. I have decided I think I like it and am going to try utilizing it. It is not an eyesore to look at and once you "get" it, it all starts seeming to work together. Her videos and help resources are SUPERB. I don't know that I've ever seen a computer program with this comprehensive of help. So, that is a plus. It did seem a little "off" at first to me. Things/buttons/options that seemed intuitive to me, aren't options. The real test will be when the school year actually starts, but *if* you are somewhat computer savvy and willing to put time into familiarizing yourself with the program, I think it is promising.

Oh! One more thing that I love is that because it is online, I can pick up or sit down to any device in my home and all my info is there!!!! So, I can input on my laptop on the couch, and update on my desktop in the schoolroom, and use my tablet at the school table! LOVE that!

Edited by Guest

You should gain functionality because the ISBN lookup feature will be back. :lol:

I have also been a long time HST+ user. I did switch to an online program this month, but it wasn't HST Online. I decided to try some other planners that offered free trials. One of those won me over with some neat features and better usability. At the time I signed up, they didn't have lesson plans without dates attached, but then a week later they even added that feature. Haha! I didn't try HST Online because I didn't want to pay for a trial. I wanted to play with a program at least for a couple weeks and see if it was worth a yearly subscription vs the paid for program I was already using (and to Phoenix: the free version doesn't have rescheduling, but the paid version has excellent rescheduling... HST Basic is very stripped down compared to HST+).

Anyway, you might want to try a month out and see how it goes. It looks like it has the same or better functionality of the original program. I'm liking using an online planner now because I can login with my phone and check stuff off or record grades without having to get sucked into the computer. Or if we're on the couch and I need to see what we were supposed to read that day in a certain book, I can pull it up on my phone very quickly. My kids like that they can login to any computer and see their own stuff as well.

Now why HST Online can't do a free trial for a couple weeks or a month like all the others do, I don't know. Though they also used to require $5 to trial their downloadable software as well. I would have tried a month if I hadn't been wooed by a different planner. If they'd had a free trial, I would have compared the two planners and made a decision. I think lack of free trial is going to bite them in the long run now that they have some major competition in the functionality department. I've tried a lot of planners over the years, and they usually come nowhere near HST+ in terms of functionality.

• Like 1

You should gain functionality because the ISBN lookup feature will be back. :lol:

I have also been a long time HST+ user. I did switch to an online program this month, but it wasn't HST Online. I decided to try some other planners that offered free trials. One of those won me over with some neat features and better usability. At the time I signed up, they didn't have lesson plans without dates attached, but then a week later they even added that feature. Haha! I didn't try HST Online because I didn't want to pay for a trial. I wanted to play with a program at least for a couple weeks and see if it was worth a yearly subscription vs the paid for program I was already using (and to Phoenix: the free version doesn't have rescheduling, but the paid version has excellent rescheduling... HST Basic is very stripped down compared to HST+).

Anyway, you might want to try a month out and see how it goes. It looks like it has the same or better functionality of the original program. I'm liking using an online planner now because I can login with my phone and check stuff off or record grades without having to get sucked into the computer. Or if we're on the couch and I need to see what we were supposed to read that day in a certain book, I can pull it up on my phone very quickly. My kids like that they can login to any computer and see their own stuff as well.

Now why HST Online can't do a free trial for a couple weeks or a month like all the others do, I don't know. Though they also used to require $5 to trial their downloadable software as well. I would have tried a month if I hadn't been wooed by a different planner. If they'd had a free trial, I would have compared the two planners and made a decision. I think lack of free trial is going to bite them in the long run now that they have some major competition in the functionality department. I've tried a lot of planners over the years, and they usually come nowhere near HST+ in terms of functionality.

OK, please spill the beans on what planner you're liking... :) Edited by Lucidity
  • Like 1

Ok, now I'm confused. Are there 2 HST versions or 3? Now it sounds like HST (free), HST+, and HST online? I thought the HST+ was the free version. Now I'm confused. And then my SIL said she has it on CD!

Ok, now I'm confused. Are there 2 HST versions or 3? Now it sounds like HST (free), HST+, and HST online? I thought the HST+ was the free version. Now I'm confused. And then my SIL said she has it on CD!

Yes, there is the free HST Basic, as well as HST+ and HSTOnline.  HST+ does allow you to reschedule assignments, as well as many other things that Basic doesn't have.  

Oh, yes, I totally need that!  I had actually forgot that I used to have that.  

I don't have a smart phone, so that is not an issue for me.  

I don't mind the $5 trial, but I guess that is because I already know I like HST.  I thought I would never pay for a cloud service, but that seems to be becoming a distant memory with the speed that OS's are changing nowadays.  Thank you for sharing that planner.  It is not off-topic in the least.