Menu

Credit for Orchestra participation

Can I ask why?  I remember taking and getting credit for band in high school.

Because it can stand out as an extracurricular more than being buried as an elective credit on the bottom of the transcript. Unless this is needed to fulfill the fine arts credit requirement.

• Like 5

If your total hours fall between in the 135-165 hour range (i.e., number of hours for the average credit), then list as either:

- 1 credit = Fine Arts: Music

- 1 credit = Elective: Orchestra

This assumes the student IS a high school student (gr. 9-12), and NOT middle school (gr. 6-8), as Fine Arts and Elective credits are not "brought up" from middle school. Only academic credits with definable increasing levels of rigor are typically "brought up" from high school: science = Biology and above; math = Algebra 1 and above; foreign language of high school rigor, with the next levels taken in high school

One other consideration: if your student already has a lot of credits, this activity would "shine" and stand out better as an extracurricular, rather than buried as part of a credit.

Or, if your student does this more than one year, then you could count this year as a Fine Arts credit and subsequent years as extracurricular.

BEST of luck in wearing your "high school administrator hat" and in your record keeping!  :hat:  Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Thanks everybody! 

I am trying to use it as a credit for her freshman year, in which we eased into high school,and if she gets a credit for orchestra, she will bring her total up to 6 credits for the year and fulfill her fine art credits.  She will have 3 more years of orchestra that we can use as extracurricular as someone suggested.

I love the boards, you guys are such a treasure of knowledge and opinions that I know I can rely on!!!

• Like 1

... I am trying to use it as a credit for her freshman year, in which we eased into high school,and if she gets a credit for orchestra, she will bring her total up to 6 credits for the year and fulfill her fine art credits.  She will have 3 more years of orchestra that we can use as extracurricular ...

And, you can just track all your credits and activities now, and by 12th grade, if something stronger was done for the Fine Arts credit and you have plenty of other credits, then for the final official transcript, you can just shift this year of Orchestra to extracurriculars -- having the consistency and dedication of doing the same extracurricular for 3-4 years of high school speaks to college admission officers and scholarship award people of a student's interests, dedication, and perseverance! :)

• Like 2

Thanks everybody! 

I am trying to use it as a credit for her freshman year, in which we eased into high school,and if she gets a credit for orchestra, she will bring her total up to 6 credits for the year and fulfill her fine art credits.  She will have 3 more years of orchestra that we can use as extracurricular as someone suggested.

I love the boards, you guys are such a treasure of knowledge and opinions that I know I can rely on!!!

This is pretty much what I did. My kids got into the universities they wanted.

(Finally, my 1000th post! - sorry for the OT comment)

• Like 1