Menu

I want to combine MOH 1 with VP Self Paced... HOW?

I really want my 4th grade son to do both Mystery of History 1 & Veritas Press Self-Paced Old Testament and Ancient Egypt. 

Q.1 Is this overkill?

Q.2 Which would be the main program and which would be the supplement?

Q.3 Has anyone done this and how did it go?

Q.4 Is there a list somewhere that shows what to do when? Or do I just do both everyday?

Q.5 Do the VP History cards list MOH readings?

Thank you for your help!!

Well, I combined VP self paced with SOTW and K12 History...so was it overkill? Maybe...but each one brought a different perspective and emphasis that I thought was useful. Plus my boy is mad for history. 

So the only way to make this work well is to do build around VP self paced since you can not skip around in VP. The next lesson in the sequence unlocks when you fully complete the current lesson. What I did was to make a copy of the table of contents for SOTW which you could do for MOH. Then I looked at the history cards for VP and compared the topics for each chapter in the text. I noted on which card corresponded to the cards. So, as I went through VP, I knew which chapters to cover in SOTW. I also knew which chapters in SOTW had no corresponding coverage in VP and I would slot those in as we went along.

Hope this helps! 

ETA: the VP cards have corresponding reading for texts that VP selects. The history texts are Kingfisher and Streams of Civilization

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

I second building around VP. I incorporated MOH with the MP3 discs and it dovetailed so nicely. In the MOH yahoo group files, aligning the VP cards has been done already, so join the group and you'll have access to those files and much more. My son enjoyed the audio MOH and I think it worked very well combining.

This is a quick followup comment. I am working through my planning right now after looking at the topics for the last two VP course topics. So, it has not been a problem to synchronize the first 3 VP courses with SOTW. After that point, VP is focused on American history.

So, my plans have now shifted to plan continue all the way through with SOTW paired with K12 after I finish the Middle Ages, Renaissance & Reformation VP course. I am going to delay the last two VP courses and pair them with the American History paired with History of US (Hakim) and K12 instead.

Hope this helps.

Edited by calbear