Menu

My 9th grader doesn't want to read his Omnibus III books-- he wants to listen...

Is there a plausible reason why I shouldn't let him get the audio versions instead of making him read the texts? He is absolutely a verbal learner, and he says he has gotten far more out of the texts we've allowed him to listen to (Frankenstein, A Tale of Two Cities) but I keep thinking there has got to be some value in requiring him to reads the texts.

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you want him to see the text, why not have him listen as he reads along in the book? That way he will see the proper names etc.

This is what my dd (8th grade) has preferred to do whenever possible for Omnibus I and II.

Her level of comprehension is definitely higher with the audio/book combination.

My son is like this too. He is very auditory and would much rather listen than read. As Moira suggests, I let him listen, as long as he follows along with his eyes. I don't allow this with every book, just more tedious ones. Sometimes I fear that this method spoils him, and I wonder if he will need audio college textbooks someday. On the other hand, it works. He retains everything this way and enjoys it as well. So, I'm sticking with it.

Sometimes I fear that this method spoils him, and I wonder if he will need audio college textbooks someday. On the other hand, it works. He retains everything this way and enjoys it as well. So, I'm sticking with it.

Exactly. He wants to go to law school and I am picturing all the reading he'll have to do!

But thanks for the advice; we'll let him listen and read along. When he gets to higher education, he'll have to realize mom and dad weren't just trying to be mean :p

from experience, I'll mention two things:

1) like another poster suggested, I make it mandatory that they read along and not just listen. They need to be seeing the words in print, highlighting and/or making lists of the new vocab, etc. I vary what we do with each book, according to our purpose for that book. Some receive a cursory reading, others we really study.

2) Spoken word is much slower than reading. If a student doesn't learn to read faster than reading aloud, it will be very difficult for them in higher education. I'd be careful not to allow my student to plateau at the read-aloud speed.

HTH