Menu

Lial's BCM or Foerster's?

Our eldest is finishing up Singapore 6b. He has been concurrently working his way through Keys to Algebra. His understanding and retention of the material in Keys to... has been solid. I had been planning on using Lial's BCM for next year, but am now wondering if perhaps it might not be overkill after KtA. Would you recommend continuing on to Lial's as originally planned, or moving directly into an algebra text? Fyi, I had Foerster's lined up for Algebra I.

Thanks,

~Killian

Killian, I'm familiar with Key to Algebra and Lial's BCM. I would recommend skipping the BCM and going into Jacob's Algebra (instead of Lial's). It sounds like he's already covered what would be in BCM. I've worked with many different Algebra texts, and Jacob's has been my favorite so far.

I'd also recommend Jacobs...take a look at the thread on that, it was posted yesterday. I'd use Jacobs for Al I and Geometry and then switch over to Foerster. It is a seamless transition. I swear, sometimes I think either Jacobs or Foerster was looking over the other guy's shoulder, they are so similar in the way they teach the material.

Love, love, love both Jacobs and Foerster. Wish I could meet them and shake their hands!

HTH

I had my eldest do BCM in 6th grade since she was clearly not ready for algebraic thinking. After she got over the delight of using a 'college' text, she found it deadly dull. Lots of tedious calculations designed to appear to be like real life. At 12 she just wasn't engaged by it.

This experience put me off Lial's style. We went with Jacobs Algebra I for 7th and 8th, Jacob's Geometry for 9th and then moved to Foerster's Algebra II and Trigonometry for Algebra II. This sequence has been wonderful -- dd went from thinking math was boring, to throughly enjoying the challenge. Algebra I has cartoons as well as good explanations and Geometry contained algeba review as well as proofs (we used the 2nd edition) which meant she hit the ground running this year. Foerster has interesting problems, that he names for easy reference.

Next year we'll be using Foerster's Precalculus w/Trigonometry.

HTH

I swear, sometimes I think either Jacobs or Foerster was looking over the other guy's shoulder, they are so similar in the way they teach the material.

Love, love, love both Jacobs and Foerster. Wish I could meet them and shake their hands!

HTH

That may be why they have a similar style.

This experience put me off Lial's style. We went with Jacobs Algebra I for 8th, Jacob's Geometry for 9th and then moved to Foerster's Algebra II and Trigonometry for Algebra II.

Next year we'll be using Foerster's Precalculus w/Trigonometry.

HTH

I was planning on having my daughter move right into Calculus after Foerster's Algebra and Trig. I'm just wondering if I have the sequence wrong.

I contacted him because I was confused about the Al II trig program that is published by Prentice and the Precalculus text published by Key Press. He recommended only using the old Al II/trig text (the one with the aqua cover) for Al II and not trig. Then he recommended moving into the Precalculus with Trigonometry text by Key Press. The reason being that the Precalculus text includes learning how to really use a graphing calculator and has links to demonstrations on Key Press's site....I think they are called dynamic something or other. He feels that his old Al II text doesn't teach you how to use technology well enough, because the tech didn't exist when it was written.

So we went with his suggestion and have been pretty happy with it so far.

You're welcome....love the bouncy sheep by the way.

Thanks! :) I take it your avatar means that you have an Irish step-dancer in your family? My older dd used to compete all of the time. Her teacher stopped teaching in our area, so she kind of lost interest in it. She and my younger dd play Irish music/instruments.

That's why I decided to go with the Precalculus book, too.

Also, if she did Calculus in 11th grade, she'd need something else in 12th since I require 4 years of math. I suppose we could have done statistics but that seems to be a good one to take in college to fulfill any math requirement.

Although she excels in math, her heart belongs to Latin.

I contacted him because I was confused about the Al II trig program that is published by Prentice and the Precalculus text published by Key Press. He recommended only using the old Al II/trig text (the one with the aqua cover) for Al II and not trig. Then he recommended moving into the Precalculus with Trigonometry text by Key Press. The reason being that the Precalculus text includes learning how to really use a graphing calculator and has links to demonstrations on Key Press's site....I think they are called dynamic something or other. He feels that his old Al II text doesn't teach you how to use technology well enough, because the tech didn't exist when it was written.

So we went with his suggestion and have been pretty happy with it so far.

Thanks, that's good to know.

We have a wonderful Irish Dance School near by. I absolutely love our teacher/director. Ds takes lessons and is in the performing company. I try to dance too, but it is so complicated...either that or my brain is just not what it used to be:o.

So do your kids compete in Irish music now?

Our school has a great show coming up in two weeks. I'd be honored if you checked out this link. Click the button to view the promo...make sure the sound is on. http://www.teelin.com/POIhome.htm

We have a wonderful Irish Dance School near by. I absolutely love our teacher/director. Ds takes lessons and is in the performing company. I try to dance too, but it is so complicated...either that or my brain is just not what it used to be:o.

So do your kids compete in Irish music now?

Our school has a great show coming up in two weeks. I'd be honored if you checked out this link. Click the button to view the promo...make sure the sound is on. http://www.teelin.com/POIhome.htm

Lovely! Just lovely! I love to see the boys in kilts. I very rarely see that, but it's a nice touch.

My younger dd won last year's Mid-Atlantic Regional Fleadh in the under 12 group (fiddle). She took 2nd the year before and went on to compete in Ireland. She did not place, but she did an awesome, awesome job - no mistakes. The girl that won in Ireland is kind of a child prodigy. She is from Ireland, and her dad is a music nut - no TV - just music, music, music. She was unbelievable. I think she won again this summer.

My younger dd will compete again in this year's fleadh in the under 15 group. It will be interesting to see how she stacks up against the older competitors. There will be a lot less pressure, since she doesn't expect to place. It will just be fun this time. She will also be competing in a Ceili band at the fleadh. She just joined a Seisun, which takes place every Sunday at a local restaurant. Her teachers particpate, as well as other really cool musicians.

My older dd doesn't plan to compete in the fleadh, but we just switched teachers, so she may be encouraged to do so this year. She plays the concertina. :)

It is all a lot of fun and a great experience for them.

Oh! I could never do stepdancing myself. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to make

my feet do that! LOL Good for you!