Menu

SOTW for the Logic Stage?

Marianne in TX

Greetings:).

I would really like to use SOTW with the AG for grades 1 all the way through 8. Has anyone been able to successfully use, for example, SOTW Vol. 1 with a 1st and 5th grader together? Does the AG offer enough ideas and literature suggestions for both levels? Or would I need to find another historical literature resource for the 5th grader?

TIA!

Marianne in TX

We love SOTW and are using it for for our 8yo and 11yo via Biblioplan! I don't know if you're familiar with it, but the ladies who wrote Biblioplan followed WTM suggestions and help you implement additional sources to "beef it up" for the older children while still making writing, family read-aloud, and independent literature suggestions for all stages.

I like that it's economical (about $25 for the ebook and $30 for the hard copy), very easy to implement, can be tailored for each family's needs, and has a wonderful annotated book list with many titles found at our library.

Also, they have recently added timelines and maps and we are very happy with both.

My edit: I forgot to add that it incorporates the Bible. For us, that's essential.

Edited by angela&4boys
see edit

Greetings:).

I would really like to use SOTW with the AG for grades 1 all the way through 8. Has anyone been able to successfully use, for example, SOTW Vol. 1 with a 1st and 5th grader together? Does the AG offer enough ideas and literature suggestions for both levels? Or would I need to find another historical literature resource for the 5th grader?

TIA!

Marianne in TX

Have you been reading my mind lately? :) Wow. I was just going to ask this question today.

Needless to say, :bigear:

We use SOTW for a first grader, 3rd grader and 6th grader. We're on volume 3 and will continue with vol 4 next year. I think it absolutely works with those ages. Lots of book recommendations at all sorts of levels. In fact, I think many of the books are more advanced than the age they're supposedly for. In addition, my 6th grader uses UILE for outlining practice on whatever topic we're studying.

I read SOTW aloud and we discuss, do mapwork, and read additional literature from AG. My older dd has additional reading she does individually, mostly from Oxford First Ancient History, which I really like. She is also using the Learning Through History magazines (I have the Ancient Near East, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome issues). She does summaries or outlines of her outside reading and I have added a lot of historical fiction for her to read also. It is working great. We went through SOTW in 1-4 grades already, but she is enjoying revisiting it and adding depth with her other readings.

I am using SOTW with all my children aging from 14 down. logic and grammar age. we do history as a family. I read SOTW, and then ask the questions they all do the outlining exercises (we are doing book 4). I help the younger ones with their outlining ( I get them to tell me the answers with prompts,I write the answer on the board, they copy). the next day we research further in various history encyclopedias, and library books, and then everyone goes and does their writing, I do narration style iwth the younger ones, and they copy. the older ones do their own.

Next year the older 2 will move on to spielvogel for their final history cycle. and the younger ones will start SOTW over for the benefit of the youngest one who is just about to start.

We are also doing SOTW 3 with a grammar and logic stage learner-- DS 5th grade and DD 3rd grade. We listen to the audio CD, do the review questions, then DD does a written narration while DS does his outline. We do timeline dates together. We look at the maps/atlas/globe together and then DS does his coloring in the Geography Coloring book while DD and I do the mapwork from the SOTW AG. On our second history day, we sometimes to an activity together; otherwise they each do individual book reports/biographies or whatnot based on what they are each reading-- DS will also be doing Primary Source evalution during this time. Sometimes they both read the same book(s), and sometimes they are doing different reading. As someone else mentioned, the AG is great for recommending reading for different levels.

HTH!

Kelli

I used SOTW 1 w/ a 3rd and 7th grader and SOTW 2 with a 4th and 8th grader. My 8th grader used Kingfisher and the logic stage reading list. He also did lots of written narrations and reports. I used IEW Middle Ages with SOTW2 and that was a wonderful addition to our year.

My 3rd grader colored the pictures and did the mapwork. She gave oral narrations and some written reporty type things. We read lots of the extra suggested reading books.

So, YES!! go ahead and use SOTW w/ a logic stage child. i thought we had 2 very productive years. This year my dd is using SOTW 3 as a 5th grader...her first logic stage year...and ds is using Omnibus 3 for 9th.

So, that's how that all panned out.

~~Faithe

I'm doing SOTW Vol. 2 with grds 6, 3, and 2. I have my 6th grader do the chapter tests. All of the children listen to the CD, do narrations, map work, coloring pages, and every now and then a (eeek!) project from the activity guide (I don't like projects, but the kids love 'em) We've worked very slowly through Vol. 1 and 2 since oldest child was in 2nd or 3rd grade, pausing on a particular topic when there was a lot of interest there from the kiddos, and it works well. I'm of the mindset that "exposure" is better than nothing.

So thanks for the post. It was very reassuring!:auto:

My eldest is just finishing grade 7 (Aussie school year finished at Christmas) and I've found that SOTW is a great spine. At the beginning of each term, I go through the topics he'll be covering in SOTW, and make my list of library books that can expand on each topic. Occasionally, I've had to resort to getting some info on the Net when I haven't been able to get library books.

Honestly, I feel that even if my kids only had the SOTW books and nothing else, they would still know more history than half the people in our schools:001_huh:.