Menu

brain exercises for processing - new please help - college student

My college son (junior) has a processing learning disability. We just discovered this problem because he is so smart he compensated. Now with harder classes he is failing. I need a crash course in what to do to over the summer to prepare him to succeed in the fall. He is an auditory learner. His IQ is extremely high in all areas except processing IQ, which is extremely low. It was explained to me that he has trouble getting things from his brain onto paper. He has trouble initiating (communication in general), coding, scheduling, planning...   We are getting tutors for him, but they are just academic. I understand that there are brain exercises he can do, but don't know where to find them.  Please help. Thanks.

That's a significant list of challenges!  So people can help you better, can you list the actual things he was diagnosed with and tell when he was diagnosed?  Has he provided that documentation to the college to see what services they will provide?  

An "educational therapist" would work really well for your situation.  They can bridge between psych and school, helping him understand what he needs, help with coordinating therapies and medications, help with scheduling and executive function issues, etc.  Without seeing his actual diagnoses, nobody can tell you what cognitive therapies would help him.  Processing speed is very hard to move.  We've had a few kids go from single digits to mid-30s with Interactive Metronome.  ADHD meds also supposedly bump processing speed.  But EF (executive function) can be improved with meds and strategies and supports.  That's where we go back to the ed therapist and ask for instruction in that.

It sounds like you're describing NVLD or dysgraphia or a combination of things.  There just isn't software that makes all that POOF.  There's software (Cogmed, for instance) that will give you a 10% increase in working memory and an EF bump.  It costs a ton of money, takes a ton of time, isn't permanent, and gives a small amount of increase.  You can do IM (interactive metronome) and bring in some working memory work.  You can use software and strategies for the writing disability.  

I'm most concerned about this trouble initiating and communicating.  That's not something that is just going to POOF either.  There are therapy materials an SLP will use with him if they specialize in autism or apraxia or expressive language, yes.  I'm using materials like that with my ds.  One of the major authors to look for in that is Jean DeGaetano, under the publisher Great Ideas for Teaching.  Her materials are TERRIFIC.  Also there are disability-specific materials for remediating the language gaps for the writing process in autism.  I'm using Teach Me Language with my ds, but that's probably way too low/simplistic for your ds.  Again, finding out his diagnosis and seeking a speech therapist who specializes in it would put you in the loop.  If it's a language/communication problem behind his written expression problem, that's a way to go.  Unfortunately, that's not a cheap or free option typically.  :(

So tell us more about what's going on and people can toss you suggestions.  I think an educational therapist would be a welcome addition to your team. They would support his EF issues, help coordinate his care, and might be able to do some cognitive therapies with him or hook him up with more specialized tutors.  There's an org that certifies ed therapists, so you can google for that.

• Like 2

My gifted slow processor currently works with an Ed.D./CBT therapist.  This particular CBT does not accept insurance and offers CogMed.  

The CBT has DS performing daily cognitive tasks, and we use those tasks to teach goal setting and scheduling.   Daily cognitive tasks include 30min/day of Brain HQ, 5 min of mindfulness breathing, 15 mins of elliptical running, and weight training.  The CBT performs what he calls psychoeducational work where he discusses the specific aspects of goal setting.  The process has been great, and I have no idea whether any of this will work.  It feels a little woo to me, but I am trusting the professional.  The mindfulness is helping my DD since the kids and I do that together.

For schedules, you could look at mind mapping and the Sklar method.  We are still sorting out effective scheduling that is handled by DS.

If you haven't done this already, carry the NP results down to the college's disability services office and apply for accommodations such as extra test taking time, in class note taker, and audio books.  Your boy will also need to take a smaller course load due to the processing speed deficits.  You know that he can complete the work.  He simply needs more time.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 4

I also recommend pursuing accommodations. Don't worry about a stigma. There are privacy laws protecting his information. The disability office will need to know his diagnosis but other than that, the teachers will only be told what accommodation they will need to implement.

He will need more time and possibly a reduced course load.

There are things you can do. See Heather's suggestions.

But this is not a quick fix so go for the accommodations.

• Like 5

If you are not familiar with The Coffee Klatch network, they have podcasts (and archived radio shows) dealing with learning issues. They do a lot of 2e stuff, and they talk about processing as well as college accommodations. It's MUCH easier to search their podcast episodes than their website, but you might find some good episodes in their podcast store. Once you get a title for a show, it's easier to find it on their site. It's all free whether you do the podcast or the archives.

Otherwise, what they said...get accommodations. Consider a slower pace for academics.

• Like 2

OK. Thank you for the input - a lot for me to research.

Questions (and answers):

Yes, we got accommodations.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a good place for us to start retraining the brain in regards to initiating tasks, etc. and not giving up.  Mindfulness doesn’t appeal to him.  :sad:  He is looking into joining a gym. Hopefully, I can get him to the elliptical machine. Those are the kind of things I am looking for to retrain the brain.

And regarding retraining the brain, is anyone familiar with Dianne Craft?  I wonder if one of her books/ kits may help.

Finding a good local educational therapist is a challenge and costly. Until a better option comes along, looks like I need to step into that role myself.  Any books / websites to help me with that?

Heather: The sklar method - is that a mind mapping method? Do you have a link? 

Elizabeth: That is his diagnosis – slow processing speed… It takes him longer to do assignments, but the end result is high quality work. The problem is the process in his brain to get his thoughts in an organized manner to place them on paper/computer or to workout a math/ science problem.  Language skills are excellent.  Getting him to initiate the conversation (as well as tasks, etc.) is what is hard. (Spelling is also a challenge, but doesn't affect his grades - spell check.)

Edited by Enjoyinglife365
  • Like 1

I'm wondering about NVLD, too. That's nonverbal learning disorder. The way it is diagnosed is seeing a large discrepancy between the verbal subtest scores and the perceptual scores. If the psych ran the WISC, you could post the subtest scores (just type them) here. After getting feedback, you can delete for privacy if desired.

NVLD commonly presents as you described, and is often not diagnosed until later ages. Social and communication issues are common, even though verbal skills are high. Psychs sometimes don't diagnose NVLD, even if the diagnostic criteria are present, because NVLD is not currently listed as a diagnosis in the DSM. You can do some online research to see if it might describe your son.

Perhaps it doesn't. There could just be low processing speed, but really, that doesn't explain all of the symptoms you describe, which is why people are asking their follow up questions.

I see Executive Function (EF) things in your description as well. Did they test for ADHD? Trouble getting thoughts onto paper might be Specific Learning Disability in written expression (in public school). A neuropsych might call it dysgraphia. Does he have fine motor issues? Any handwriting issues, or is just slowness?

(FYI My son has NVLD, low processing speed, ADHD, SPD, pragmatic/communication deficits, and multiple LDs, including dysgraphia).

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

I have not used the Sklar products.  The website follows:

http://executivefunctioningsuccess.com/

I mentioned mind mapping because it can be a power tool for organization.  My DS uses XMind and Inspiration sw.

Mindfulness doesn't appeal to DS either; however, the exercises are about breathing and research supports that 5 minutes per day may be beneficial.  My DS does not wish to take medication either so we do what we can.  My challenge has been selecting materials without any woo.  If your son changes his mind, let me know and I'll provide the name of materials we are using.

• Like 2

Yes, that is the only diagnosis.

I do not see anything that says WISC. There is a WAIS discrepancy comparison. He has significant difference in everything except verbal comprehension and working memory.  The explanation for the discrepancies is because of his slow processing IQ.  

I read about non-verbal learning disorders. The only commonality I see is that he is a strong auditory learner. He would rather find a video on the subject matter than refer to his text. (But he loves reading and writing fiction.)  He has no difficulty with physical tasks or physically writing. He is in no way awkward socially, quite the opposite. 

I think the other problems are a domino effect. There is obviously anxiety and frustration as a result of the slow processing, which results in him giving up or not trying in the first place.  And I believe that is why he has trouble initiating communication and tasks. Deciding where to start can be overwhelming for him and scary. He is a bit of a perfectionist, which doesn’t help either. 

I suppose it is possible that there is more… The learning disability took me by surprise, but it explains a lot.

• Like 1

Okay, I see. When you said trouble initiating with communication in your first post, I think it made people think social difficulties (that's what I thought you meant, at any rate).

Initiating tasks due to anxiety is a definite thing. In that case, I think therapy for the anxiety will give you greater gains than trying to do brain training for the slow processing.

I should be more able to discuss slow processing speed, since we have that in our mix at our house, but we have so many things to address that I have not found as much information on that yet. I am suspecting that we will receive a slow processing plus anxiety diagnosis for my other son at his upcoming neuropsych appointment. My general sense from the reading that I have done, though, is that processing speed doesn't change much and just needs to be accommodated.

Others might give you better info. OhE mentioned interactive metronome, which might be something for you to look at, because you can do it at home. Heathermomster posted some at-home directions at one point. I also agree that the concept of mindfulness can be off putting, but the actual practice of it can be therapeutic and calming for anxiety, so it's worth looking into. Becoming able to still one's mind, calm down, and focus when anxiety is building up is a good skill to work on! DS12 worked with a psychologist for awhile who taught him some calming techniques for anxiety, and we also got tips from our pediatrician and our OT. It's definitely an area that practitioners from various specialties promote. And a benefit is that they are techniques that your son can learn to do for himself at any time.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

Heather mentioned Mind Mapping, which could be very helpful.

Though you wrote: "Deciding where to start can be overwhelming for him and scary."

But 'where to start', rather confuses the issue?

As we really need to start at the 'end', and then identify how we can arrive at it?

Where if we start at the end, then we can look for the elements that we need to arrive there?

Once we identify the main elements, we can then define an order for them.

So having defined the major elements, and their order?

We can then look back from the 'end', and see where to 'start'.

This uses what is termed as 'reversible thinking', where we start at the where we want to arrive?

Then look back, at the different ways that we can arrive there?

Which is also termed as 'algebraic thinking'.

While we think of Algebra as a math process?

It is rather that Algebraic thinking, can also use numbers,

Where Algebra starts with the answer, and then explores the 'Variables' that can be use to arrive at an answer.

If we take the example of driving to the shop?

As algebraic thinking?

We start with the shop as the end point.

Where we probably have a range of 'variables', that that we could choose from to get there?

So that perhaps you consider the difference between having an end point in mind, and then thinking back about ways to arrive there?

As opposed to starting at the beginning point, without a plan to arrive there?

Do I turn left or right, out of the drive-way?

• Like 4

OP, when you are referring to your son's anxiety and frustration and not initiating a conversation and speaking up, **I think** I understand you.  There have been times where DS did not approach me needing helps until far too late, like a day or two prior to a test, and we have scrambled to cover the material.  Sometimes DS cannot even explain where his learning breaks down to tell me and ask.  With DS, study can feel reactive as to proactive, and I don't like that situation one bit.  

CBT discussed elements of goal setting with us.  I made a mind map of the steps and have attached it to this posting.  You literally have to spell out the planning with our students until they internalize the process.  They can learn these steps, but it takes time.  Planning is 2nd nature to me, but not to my DS.  I assume that your DS is not seeking helps until he lacks time.  That would be step 5 on the chart.

post-41744-0-81304600-1465664167_thumb.png

• Like 3

I've not had any success in trying to improve processing speeds through movement or brain type exercises but my ds has a severe hearing impairment which impairs him further so not a lot of help.  What I do have experience with is the progress and success at the college level.  My ds graduated from CC last month and I do understand the compensation issues because that is pretty much what delayed my ds' hearing impairment diagnosis.  These kiddos are smart cookies.  What accommodations was he given at the college? I know you want to fix it and have him ready to go by the next semester but it may or may not work out that way.  Our brains are wonderful things but sometimes, despite our best intentions, it doesn't cooperate and we need more assistance.  Perhaps putting in place more foundation in the form of accommodations may be key in keeping him going forward at the college level?  There may be more that can be done but I'm unsure of what he's had available to him thus far.

• Like 3

I really like BrainHq.  This is a web based program that I have used for years.  I first used it w own child who had processing issues.  Very pleased with results.  I use it myself for memory and processing.  I am also a sped teacher and have my students work on the program during homeroom. (not part of curriculum, I buy a subscription myself and have them share).  BrainHq is one of the most researched brain training programs (peer reviewed).  See the following link.  http://www.brainhq.com/world-class-science

I paid $96 for year subscription.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I have never heard of processing speed actually increasing due to brain programs.  CBT wanted DS to use the processing speed portion of BrainHQ so that DS would be stressed and forced to persist.  He explained that by persisting and working on something difficult, that DS would receive a benefit in other areas of study.  Let's face it.  These students do great working on subjects they love; however, ask them to study something boring, and they wilt and phase out as soon as you turn your back.   For DS, the intention of BrainHQ is to help DS practice and persist with boring and difficult tasks.  If son's processing speed increases, so much the better; however, I am not holding my breath.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 3

It sounds like you have a plan now, but I just read this so was going to add my own experience if you're still interested.

We have someone in our household like this due to a brain injury, so I'm not sure if what has helped us would carry over, but...

He is extremely brilliant at figuring out solutions to problems, but has real difficulty writing or starting a conversation when he has to come up with an idea independently.  That stems from his inability to first being able to put it all together in his head.  So, any initiation of conversation, formulating original ideas, etc., has been extraordinarily difficult, both oral and written.

Well, I talk about that in the present tense but after lots and lots of therapy, those problems are slowly becoming more in the past for us, thankfully.

But what we really pushed at home (and still do), apart from the therapy he was already getting, is role-playing situations, constantly.  What would you do in this situation, what would you say.  And breaking it down into tiny steps.  I think that's kind of what mind-mapping is about.  First focusing on the situation or problem, then deciding on the goal, and breaking it down into the tiny steps necessary to get there.  If he is stumped, it would mean asking questions to get him thinking on the right path.  ("If you know that this is true and this is true, then what would be the next best step?  This, or that?")  Now, he may realize the goal ahead of time but just not know the necessary steps to get there.  Or he may have a vague idea of the steps but not really know the proper goal.  But, role playing with lots of pushing and lots of questions to continually guide him when necessary has really helped us.  We do this in the car, at the dinner table, just sitting around, anytime we have a chance.

Good luck!  The brain is amazing!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

At our local homeschool conference this spring, we went to two workshops by Equipping Minds.  Carol Brown is an educational consultant and uses a cognitive development curriculum, including brain training, primitive reflexes training, sound therapy, and vestibular therapy. It is a "holistic approach to educational therapy."  She uses a lot of games, too.  I've been hoping to start this with two of my kids.

• Like 1

The Equipping Minds.

When I read that it sounded really familiar . I called my boys spec ed teacher from PS ( they were in the program for learning challenges when they were young)

The spec ed teacher sed this in her classroom , and we were in the class that needed the most help .

For my boys, this was amazing. There is something to be said for that approach. The spec ed teacher gave us daily 'homework ' based on this method and she used this books tips, tricks, etc.

I'm not sure if that particular book is for older and younger ones .

My boys responded really well to it and grew leaps and bounds with it.