Menu

Gardeneing Chat

IfIOnly

All our plants are stunted. It's like they just stopped growing. The chile plants are growing chiles, but the plants themselves never got taller. When dh went to check the ground a little while ago, it was dry - even 6-8 inches down. It was like all the water just evaporates, or goes who-knows-where. He said the dirt is way too porous, and is now down at the river to look for some good dirt to add to the bed. 

It sounds like you have sandy soil?

Have you considered adding some kind of organic material? It fills in the pores in the sandy dirt and slows drainage.

We have clay soil, I add organic matter to our soil in the beds - it binds to the clay and improves the drainage immensely.

• Like 2

All our plants are stunted. It's like they just stopped growing. The chile plants are growing chiles, but the plants themselves never got taller. When dh went to check the ground a little while ago, it was dry - even 6-8 inches down. It was like all the water just evaporates, or goes who-knows-where. He said the dirt is way too porous, and is now down at the river to look for some good dirt to add to the bed. :(

I'm so sorry, Renai! I had that happen before. Our soil is basically sand and I planted a full garden in it with a bit of ammending. No matter how much I watered, the plants were always dry. Nothing grew well. All that work. I only do raised beds now with no native soil. Can you cover everything with a thick layer of mulch like straw? That may help. A bale is pretty inexpensive. I hope others have more suggestions.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

It sounds like you have sandy soil?

Have you considered adding some kind of organic material? It fills in the pores in the sandy dirt and slows drainage.

We have clay soil, I add organic matter to our soil in the beds - it binds to the clay and improves the drainage immensely.

I'm so sorry, Renai! I had that happen before. Our soil is basically sand and I planted a full garden in it with some ammending. No matter how much I watered, the plants were always dry. Nothing grew well. All that work. I only do raised beds now with no native soil. Can you cover everything with a thick layer of mulch like straw? That may help. A bale is pretty inexpensive. I hope others have more suggestions.

We naturally have clay soil, and we used to add sand from the river so it wouldn't be so compacted. That worked for years. Last year we put in the raised bed on top of the regular bed and filled it with bagged soil and compost and mixed some of the native soil in. We had a good garden last year. This year, we added more bagged soil and compost. I did let dh know about needing mulch like wood chips or something, but he didn't believe me.  :confused1:  I'd forgotten about hay. He just told me he thinks that will work better, so we'll probably pick up some more this week.

• Like 3

We naturally have clay soil, and we used to add sand from the river so it wouldn't be so compacted. That worked for years. Last year we put in the raised bed on top of the regular bed and filled it with bagged soil and compost and mixed some of the native soil in. We had a good garden last year. This year, we added more bagged soil and compost. I did let dh know about needing mulch like wood chips or something, but he didn't believe me. :confused1: I'd forgotten about hay. He just told me he thinks that will work better, so we'll probably pick up some more this week.

Could you get away with adding vermiculite? It's light, so much easier to carry than mulch or soil.

• Like 2

Could you get away with adding vermiculite? It's light, so much easier to carry than mulch or soil.

I'll have to remember that for if this doesn't work. I don't remember what it is, even though I've read about it often, lol!  :leaving:

Dh and the girls went down to the river with a wheeled thingy and filled a black trash bag with dirt. Since the sun was going down, and it was dark when they got back, we'll check out the quality in the morning. We only live a couple hundred feet from the river. :D

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I have peas now!  I almost missed some, because for some reason I neglected to notice that they were purple podded, and I was just thinking they were flowers!  They are really pretty in a salad. 

I planted my lettuce this year in a half-barrel, after two years of poor growth, and it worked really well.  It is starting to get a little past it's best now, and will probably bolt soon. 

Cabbages are doing really well, but I need to think them. 

I have enough new nettles coming p that I can make soup again - at least if I have a terrible weed, it is useful I guess.  I wish I had known though before I bought some from the Farmer's Market so dh could make nettle beer.

I bought a half-price perrenial, a white peach-leaved bellflower, to plant by my front yard water barrel.  I hope it will do ok, it was just the grocery store trying to clear out its plant stock.  Also - I am not confident in the colour, someone had been moving the tags around, so it may turn out purple.

We've had lots of rain the last few days and so have full water barrels.

On the downside, he beets I planted had really poor germination, and I think there are only three peaches growing.  My dh picked off many of the infected leaves, and new ones are growing, but I am just not sure how this tree is going to do. 

• Like 5

The chard and kale that I planted in the railing planter have been hard hit by heavy rains. I did what I could to shore them up and have also re-seeded both kale and chard in the box. We'll see what happens.

The peas that I planted in containers are blossoming. Hopefully, we'll have peas soon. My herbs seem to be coming along well. Does anyone know how to harvest cilantro? Do I just clip it off? Will it re-grow or do I need to replant? 

Our community garden plot is doing relatively well. The lettuce will bolt soon and we have way too many weeds. I'm hoping to get there again today.

Ds and I planted our first ever vegetable garden two weeks ago. I don't know if we are too late in the season to be successful, but we are both very excited to see things sprouting now! We made two 3x3 square foot raised beds by following instructions in the Square Foot Gardening with Kids book.

We have a lot of large trees on our property so we never thought that we received enough sun for vegetables, but we realized a couple months ago the 5-ft area beside our house on the south side actually gets full sun all day. It was already an established decorative garden, but we moved all the plants, levelled the area, built the boxes, made the growing mix, and now we have a little garden patch! Ds had lots of fun helping, using the tools, mixing the growing mix, and getting to plant.

One of the first things I did after planting was to come inside and read this garden thread. I then saw the post about the safe drinking hoses and realized our ancient hose was probably contaminated. So now we have a new hose. On day 2 an animal dug in the garden, fortunately only wrecking two squares. I built chicken wire cages to cover the squares. Now it looks like a bug or snails or slugs or something is eating the radish leaves.

Here is what we planted:

beans

peas

beets

radishes

lettuce

chard

carrots

broccoli

cilantro

arugula

nasturtiums

strawberries

image.jpg1_zps6vsspemt.jpg

• Like 5

Your garden is beautiful, Eagle. What zone are you in? Many of what you planted would grow to harvest here in our short growing season.

I haven't grown cilantro, Ethyl Mertz. I cut my lettuce (rather than letting it grow to a head) and it regrows again and again. I wonder if cilantro would do similar?

Blsdmama, haha! You made me smile. I'm looking forward to your pics.

Yay for enjoying peas and nettles, Bluegoat!

• Like 2

I'll try to take pictures tonight. I think this is one of my happiest garden years but all my rows are crooked, lol, due to being planned by preschoolers and young children. :D

DD planted carrots this year. The rows are perfect. All the seeds that made it between the rows.... well, they make it so you can't see the rows ;) The best kind of garden is the crooked one!

What do you want to know about cold frames?

• Like 2

The chard and kale that I planted in the railing planter have been hard hit by heavy rains. I did what I could to shore them up and have also re-seeded both kale and chard in the box. We'll see what happens.

The peas that I planted in containers are blossoming. Hopefully, we'll have peas soon. My herbs seem to be coming along well. Does anyone know how to harvest cilantro? Do I just clip it off? Will it re-grow or do I need to replant? 

Our community garden plot is doing relatively well. The lettuce will bolt soon and we have way too many weeds. I'm hoping to get there again today.

You can just clip cilantro as needed. It does regrow, and will re-seed. We've had cilantro grow 3-4 years in a row.

• Like 2

Well, all our plants survived the mixing of river dirt into the beds. And, so far it's working. The beds didn't dry out after a short time, and the plants perked back up. I was a bit worried about mixing close to the roots, but it seems the roots hadn't grown so deep anyway due to the water problem. The poor stunted plants have started putting out the beginnings of flower buds, and I'm a bit worried about the size of the overall plants. Something will work out though.

Dh pointed out to me today that the sugar snaps in containers were growing! I had seen plenty of flowers, but hadn't noticed the pods. The midget tomatoes in the pallet garden is spreading new leaves as well. When I picked out the plants, the nursery wound up giving them to me for free because they were so poor looking and they weren't sure it was going to produce more tomatoes than were already there. We're crossing our fingers that all the new growth means new tomatoes! Oh, and the nasturtiums have sprouted as well!

• Like 5

Yay for the adding of river soil helping!

The boys trimmed my trees and fell a pine tree. In one of these pictures you can see the pine laying on the ground... I'm moving the beds back there as I harvest them Hooray!!! (Also, we have lots of wood chips and are still chipping. Great compost adder I hope!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uwg6mjbg713yfnl/AAA1xN6xrwGNxIcJIM3YIUaDa

• Like 2

I am having great success with my cukes (I think we might have a salad slicer ready in a couple days, with half a dozen more close behind) and my peppers are finally budding. They are all THRISTY though and I'm having to water twice a day.

• Like 3

Yay for the adding of river soil helping!

The boys trimmed my trees and fell a pine tree. In one of these pictures you can see the pine laying on the ground... I'm moving the beds back there as I harvest them Hooray!!! (Also, we have lots of wood chips and are still chipping. Great compost adder I hope!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uwg6mjbg713yfnl/AAA1xN6xrwGNxIcJIM3YIUaDa

Nice space and pics! One of my summer plans is to get a compost bin going. I need to start researching that.

I am having great success with my cukes (I think we might have a salad slicer ready in a couple days, with half a dozen more close behind) and my peppers are finally budding. They are all THRISTY though and I'm having to water twice a day.

Yum and congrats! No cukes near harvest here. Next year I need to make a hoop house out of our raised bed to get more warmth in the spring and better production.

I'm still trying to figure out a water schedule. :P

• Like 1

I've been focused on the flower beds this week, but DH canned the first round of cucumber pickles last night. :)

Hooray!

We have broccoli coming out our ears.  We also found out I'm not a fan of swiss chard. :p ;)

Broccoli just picked from the garden is a totally different taste experience than that bought from a store. We harvested our first broccoli the other day at our garden plot and sat in the car and ate it all up. Our cukes are near harvesting; our lettuce bolted. We have a great deal of weeding to do today!

So  this isn't veggies, but it was my weekend. :D

I had cleared this flower garden a year ago and planted the lilies and some flowers.... but it always looks like a mess and the lilies spread like crazy. :(  The day lilies are just huge and they look like my garden is having a bad hair day.  

But then I noticed how bad the soil is.... And I KNOW that July is possibly the worst time to disrupt a perennial garden, but August won't be better and I'm not undertaking huge projects and starting school at the same time.  So I just did it and if it kills things then it does.  I'll baby them and water them........

Before:

flowerbed1.3%201%20of%201_zpsin8nifi4.jp

Cleared out half  - had to dig out about 10" of compacted soil.  Then put in peat moss, compost, and sand.  Mixed all of it.

b9b8c9c1-76e2-4253-a5a2-17ea12875e35_zps

Then we replanted according to grown height and color coordinating, removing several of the daylilies.  Focused green sedums with purple sedum and coral bells up front.  The echinacea, shasta daisies, and blanket flower will spread, creating a wall through the middle - so that you will see one flower bed from the road and something different from the front door.

flowerbed3%201%20of%201_zpsjn4glgqd.jpg

This is SEVENTEEN bags of mulch.  Crazy.  It needs another dozen or so easily.  

All of these are perennials - so here is to hoping for a beautiful garden next spring!  I am painting a bird bath that belonged to my great grandmother and was given to me two weeks ago.  It's very aged, but I think with a new coat of paint and some TLC it would look nice -especially as the echinacea fills in.

Getting there!

Today's projects - weather allowing!

Finish the last 10% of the perennial garden.

This area is where I am putting the raspberry berm.

I've removed part of the sod.  Now I have to dig deeper - moving the dirt, put in the wood, then the chicken manure, then compost and sand, then the dirt back in, building it up.  THEN my raspberries.

raspberriesinprogress1%201%20of%201_zpsp

ETA: If you look closely it *might* fulfill garden picture cravings.  The wavy fronds up close is our first year asparagus.  The asparagus likes strawberries, we read, so it's planted within the strawberry plants.  To the left you'll see the potatoes.  Directly behind the asparagus/strawberries is the rainbow chard and then our gigantic broccoli plants.   And you can't see much beyond that. ;)

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 6

Here's a better explanation of hugelkultur if anyone wants to play with me. :P :D

http://www.ecologiadesign.com/2012/03/01/hugelkultur-mounds-of-fertility/

This is for our raspberry beds.  I was reading through some old blogs and it seems while it may work well here in the Midwest, that other places that are much drier (like CA) this won't work as well.

I'm planting my raspberries where I want them (running North/South) and it's a wet spot.  I've already had one run of bad luck (24/25 plants dead) so this time around I'm going to work for it.  I think the problem was that my prepared bed (almost entirely sand/compost) was draining TOO fast.  So - wetter spot with more black soil, but mixed more thoroughly.

• Like 1

I'm late to the party.

I've finally accepted that my BIG farm garden is probably not going to happen. We usually have about a quarter acre. This year, we're so behind it just didn't happen and now that we have time, it's rained so much that my dh can't get the tractor in to break it up properly. So I planted some stuff in random places around the house, (avoiding close to the house because of our termite treatments) and I have two flower beds that I completely dedicated to veggies. I planted bush beans, pole beans and tomatoes there.

I think I'm really going to miss the sweet corn and the cucumber pickles. :( I already miss tending it.

I've been hopeful that perhaps we can put in a late garden because we have super long garden season, but my hopes are fading each day.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tomato experts:  so if my tomato plant was really flowering nicely and then it got up to 100+ degrees this past weekend does that mean they won't bear fruit?  I did keep them adequately watered, but I read somewhere that the high temps would effect the pollen such that the flowers just might wilt and fall off now.  :(

Tomato experts:  so if my tomato plant was really flowering nicely and then it got up to 100+ degrees this past weekend does that mean they won't bear fruit?  I did keep them adequately watered, but I read somewhere that the high temps would effect the pollen such that the flowers just might wilt and fall off now.  :(

If they were already pollenated, they might make. Keep watering and watch for little 'maters.

Tomato pollen dies at temps over 95, if I remember correctly. During the heat there, I just keep watering and wait for the weather to break. Fall tomatoes are tasty!  There have been times we harvested everthing--red or green in late October. We take all the green ones and make a green tomato salsa. Very tasty!

• Like 2

I didn't do a veggie garden this year. Oh, I miss good tomatoes!

My flower gardens have done amazing this year. We had a long wet spring and every thing loved it. Now that the heat has set in we are drying out, but it all still looks pretty good. During the middle of the summer we water around the house (to stabilize the foundation!) most of the front yard, a bit of the back yard and the flower beds. Once a month, the trees get a slow dribble.  Watering takes a LOT of time...thankfully I have a well, too.

You know what else does well with a wet spring and summer heat?

Weeds. I have tons of dallis grass and abundant nutsedge...both of those plants come straight from hell. Ugh.

My plan is to get up early the next couple of mornings and hit one or two beds to clean out the weeds. We didn't do mulch this spring--got busy, ya know? We are paying for it now.

• Like 1

If they were already pollenated, they might make. Keep watering and watch for little 'maters.

Between myself and the 8yo, those tomato plants don't get a minute to themselves except when it's dark out.  It's as if we could possibly see them grow.

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 1

W

Not much help here because I didn't know tomatoes did that in over a certain temp. It was 91 on Monday and supposed to be in the 90s a few days this week too. Bummer!

I didn't do a veggie garden this year. Oh, I miss good tomatoes!

My flower gardens have done amazing this year. We had a long wet spring and every thing loved it. Now that the heat has set in we are drying out, but it all still looks pretty good. During the middle of the summer we water around the house (to stabilize the foundation!) most of the front yard, a bit of the back yard and the flower beds. Once a month, the trees get a slow dribble.  Watering takes a LOT of time...thankfully I have a well, too.

You know what else does well with a wet spring and summer heat?

Weeds. I have tons of dallis grass and abundant nutsedge...both of those plants come straight from hell. Ugh.

My plan is to get up early the next couple of mornings and hit one or two beds to clean out the weeds. We didn't do mulch this spring--got busy, ya know? We are paying for it now.

Oh, that sounds so lovely to have flowers blooming so well and long. Neat. Sorry about the weeds. Im thining of offering my kids a 10 cent credit for every 10 pulled and a McDonald's ice cream cone or something when they get to a dollar. If they won't do it willingly, I'll just have a family weeding time and require it. (with the ice cream deal still) Ha!

Between myself and the 8yo, those tomato plants don't get a minute to themselves except when it's dark out.  It's as if we could possibly see them grow.

Lol :)

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Who would like to start a monthly chat thread? This one's getting kind of long, but I'm good either way.

That would be great!

Our garden is perking along - not great, but not terrible either. We've harvested cukes, yellow squash, zucchini, a couple of early tomatoes, green beans, and broccoli. The broccoli didn't even make it home from the garden plot. We sat in the car and ate it fresh out of the garden. It's a totally different vegetable! 

I had planted some peas by the railing of our front steps, but I didn't plant enough of them. The few I harvested were great raw. They didn't make it into the house either. I have other containers with tomatoes, peppers, chard, kale, basil, and cilantro. 

Next job is to plant some more bush beans and start some plants for the fall garden.

Dh has canned pickles three times now.  He took patty pan squash and Black Beauty zucchini to work yesterday.  :)

The basil has bolted as has one kind of lettuce - it got *really* hot here for almost a week.  We're beginning to harvest tomatoes.  Apparently I planted yellow (?!) eaters.  I cringe a little but they are really great tasting.   The cherry and grape tomatoes are coming on heavy but not the pear. :(  The romas are slow and steady here, none are turning yet.

The canteloupe and watermelons are taking over the garden with the cucumbers. :)  BUT, it looks like we will have at least a half dozen watermelon actually ripen this year!

The potatoes are gone and eaten, the peas were sad little things, and the beans are mediocre.  The standout in the garden this year are the peppers - serrano, banana, habanero, jalapeno, bell - ALL of them look good.  Normally we have the saddest looking little peppers but these are gorgeous.  It's so exciting.

I haven't gotten any further on the raspberry bed.  We had a funeral and then it got so hot.........  I need to get back on it and get it done before the weather cools a lot and I want to plant!  I think my energy is beginning to wane, lol!

The baby trees are looking great this year.  The wind has been hard on one of them but he is staked now. :)

• Like 3

Harvesting!!

46 Copra onions curing, 3 left in the ground

21 carrots harvested, 30 left in the ground

2 gallons snap peas harvested

4 kohlrabi harvested

What took a major hit because of our heat wave:

Cucumbers - managed to get 2 large, 2 small

Zucchini - managed 2 large ones

Summer Squash - managed 2 large, 2 small

And what didn't make it...

2 eggplants

Acorn/winter squash

Still in the ground doing great:

2 eggplants

Tomatoes - turning color - last count was over 25 from 6 plants!

90% cleaned up from the boys taking down the pine tree and trimming the maples (Oh my word, they trimmed a lot more than I thought, we wood chipped for 20+ hours, 2 more of trimming downed branches and a couple days of the firepit with the excess brush). I need to finish up a pallet later today with sides for the last of the firewood storage.

I also made a compost bin! 

Pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rkh7yqd4dl2rjs/20160725_092547.jpg?dl=0

• Like 2

How are people dealing with pests? For the last few years cucumber beetles and vine borers have taken down our cucumbers and zucchini--two of our favorite veggies! Yet I keep hearing about people talking about how much zucchini they have to give away etc. I'll get a few squash before the plants fall apart totally, but not nearly as many as I want. And we'll get maybe 7-8 cucumbers and then the plants will die completely. 

Are you growing these kinds of things organically, or do you spray? Do you have some other tricks? 

• Like 1

Who would like to start a monthly chat thread? This one's getting kind of long, but I'm good either way.

I kinda like the one thread, then I don't have to look for a new one every month. I'm rarely on the chat board except for this thread, which I get notifications on if anyone posts. Besides, this isn't long; the ITT thread of over 1100 pages is long!  :lol:

I pulled up the sad zucchini and squash plants two weeks ago. I don't know what was wrong with them, and they were suffering. It made me sad to see them. In their place, I planted cabbage. I also put in carrot seeds.

I don't think we're going to get tomatoes or tomatillos this year. They started out so slow, I don't think they have time to catch up. The watermelon and cucumbers are starting to grow. I've been harvesting jalapenos, serranos, and green chiles. Cherry chiles are growing too. I was able to make a pico de gallo yesterday using our jalapenos and cilantro. :D We also pick about a handful of sugar snap peas every other day or so. Next year, I'm definitely planting more of those. The corn is coming up nicely and starting to make cobs.

Did I mention our compost bin? I made one from a rubbermaid-type bin. I used this as inspiration https://www.pinterest.com/pin/316589048788263304/. I hope it works.

• Like 1

I ordered 1500 ladybugs from amazon. Cheap, effective and fun for everyone.

1500 was really overkill for our space and they only stuck around a couple days, but it was fun watching them.

I also found a praying mantis on the patio and transplanted him to my pepper plant.

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 2

I ordered 1500 ladybugs from amazon. Cheap, effective and fun for everyone.

1500 was really overkill for our space and they only stuck around a couple days, but it was fun watching them.

I also found a praying mantis on the patio and transplanted him to my pepper plant.

Ooh, we want to order ladybugs! I usually order from Earth's Birthday Project some butterflies, and this is our second year for praying mantis. The mantis didn't hatch though! EBP won't ship ladybugs after April or before the end of August, so I'll wait until next year. I didn't know Amazon sold them...

• Like 1

Ooh, we want to order ladybugs! I usually order from Earth's Birthday Project some butterflies, and this is our second year for praying mantis. The mantis didn't hatch though! EBP won't ship ladybugs after April or before the end of August, so I'll wait until next year. I didn't know Amazon sold them...

Amazon ladybugs come from Nature's Good Guys. It was pretty warm when we ordered and they were all alive except maybe two. I was impressed.

• Like 2

August 

It's going to be a hot one here! thumbup1.gif

I've got some hits and misses and pics to share and questions to ask, but my son turns 13 tomorrow, and I'm crazy busy with bday stuff today. So much so, that I forgot to water my garden last night. Oops! 

How's it going? Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Like 1