Menu

Mortensen Math--Have you heard of it?

Closeacademy

I just picked up a pretty much complete set and am starting to look through and sort it all out. Just wondering if anyone else has used this and how you use it?

I have some of the skip counting coloring books, the addition, multiplication, mathematics, problem solving, measurement, algebra and calculus workbooks. It looks like most of it is there. I thinking of using it as a supplement to introduce new concepts.

Thanks.:001_smile:

• 1 year later...
A guy named Bob Hazen in this thread mentioned that MUS was created by a protegee of Jerry Mortensen, but said that he preferred Mortensen Math because of the early introduction of algebra.

Funny, but several years back I read this very same thread (when researching math programs). So it's a weird "flash-back".

Bill (who now wonders if there all people out there reading all the weird things I write??? :D)

• 2 years later...

Know this is an old thread, but didn't know if anyone uses this these days? I've recently discovered Crewton Ramone House of Math via Rosie's videos.

I have spent HOURS on his site and am so intrigued. I do have Miquon and getting ready to start that, are they similar?

My head is spinning, I honestly had dreams of math manipulatives last night. I thought I set in math, SM and Miquon with some MEP thrown in. Did RS A & B with oldest.

ok, here comes a lot of smiley faces b/c my girls are sitting next to me and really really want to put them in this reply. Sorry!

:lurk5::chillpill::lurk5::iagree::glare::grouphug::001_smile::lol:

We are adapting the concepts taught in Rosie's videos and on the Crewton Ramone site to use with our current curriculum. We use the MUS blocks because we already own them, they work fine. I don't see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on the workbooks, you can do the same thing yourself with what you already own once you understand the concepts. Mostly it has been the time invested in watching the videos myself to understand how to better teach the needed skills. I did pick up some of the old MUS classic curriculum very cheap on ebay to see where the differences are and I already own Epsilon from my oldest, who struggled with fractions.

"We are adapting the concepts taught in Rosie's videos and on the Crewton Ramone site to use with our current curriculum."

I'm doing the same thing! Was hoping someone had used the workbooks and could tell me how they they liked them. I like starting at the beginning and working my way through things. I'm nervous just watching videos isn't going to be enough for me to feel comfortable. Just need to get blocks out and play.

I have the full original set (from my in-laws, who hs'd all their kids, including my hubby). Well, I guess I didn't have the full-full set, because I just ordered a set of coloring booklets from RAmone's website to go with it. I was fascinated with it from the first time I saw it, and think it's awesome.

That said, I haven't actually gone through the booklets yet with my 4yo, but I do plan to include it with our math plans. I had intended to do MUS (since it was based off Mortensen, but had more direction and the workbook, etc.), but now I will probably go with RS and supplement with Mortensen.

Either way, I do still think it's amazing, and I love the videos at Ramone's site, and will check out Rosie's videos too. In fact, we just today got all the rods out and put them in a sterilite box and the booklets in another one, so that it is much easier to grab and go, versus the big ol' storage box and trays that it originally came in.

Tracey in Oregon

So interesting that this post has come up as I was *just* exploring Mortensen Math (and Crewton Ramone's site/vids) yesterday! Here is the "Getting Started" video that was included in the package:

I've ordered all of the Miquon books (not here yet) and I'm wondering how closely Miquon and Mortensen relate?

I'm doing the same thing! Was hoping someone had used the workbooks and could tell me how they they liked them. I like starting at the beginning and working my way through things. I'm nervous just watching videos isn't going to be enough for me to feel comfortable. Just need to get blocks out and play.

Watch the youtube videos where they page through the workbooks and the CR video where he shows the progression from blocks to the stick drawings to figuring without any helps. To me it looks like the first pages in the books are just like you doing the blocks over a whiteboard and having them fill the numbers in. After that the workbooks look a lot like any other workbook, pages of math problems that they solve, building when necessary. If you think it would help you could add the arrows on the multiplication or division. $125 is over my budget for workbooks. ;)

• 1 month later...

I have a full manipulative set and I believe....a full workbook set. My DH's patents homeschooled all of their kids. DH pulled it all out of storage. I used the counting amd addition workbooks sets with DS at 4 and 5.....he understood so much more....multiplication, division, basic algebra....just from working through 20, 20 page workbooks. They were so short and easy to do, but the method worked well. I love all the manipulatives. Even more so since they were free ;)

• Like 1

that I found in my garage.

The blocks are similar. I wonder if I just order more Math U See blocks I would have the same amount of blocks?

I think the Math U See blocks are cheaper? Yes? Anyone want to give away some?

Would like a manual or book or something... to follow along sequentially...

It just dawned on me....I was searching his Crewton's website...

And looking at that DELUXE KIT....

AM I CORRECT THAT for $500 I could teach my kids preschool level math all the way up to Calculus with that kit---with the Smiley face, level one, 2, 3 workbooks and the level a workbooks all included??????!!!!!!!!! Now the only thing I don't see is decimals and geometry or maybe I am missing something.

IF that is the case then that is a serious bargain!!!

Forget Singapore and all their texts/workbooks then. That would save a lot of money.

Who has bought the Deluxe Kit? What do you think?

is a pain...it freezes my computer and it looks so 80's ish.

Everything needs to get updated...

So wierd that nearly 18yr ago I was seriously looking at this method but passed it up cause it seemed so user unfriendly and costly and now after having kids suffer through algebra and such I am back to checking it out again with 2nd and 3rd set of kids. I am actually spending the time watching the videos and going "oh wow NOW I get it."

I don;t want a repeat of this drama with my 2nd and 3rd set.

I have been temped to call that number on the site but afraid to for some reason. Wish you can email them or place an order on a real computer order form. I kind of like those preschool fun kits. My 3yr old son would dig them.

Definitely needs to be updated. Anyways, for some reason when I see the website it reminds me of someone doing way too many "stuff" during the 60's.

Anyways I saying to myself don;t judge a book by its cover.

About the crewton ramone mega kits and how long you could use them for:

that would depend on the workbooks. the smiley face workbooks look really great but they wont last too long-- not past 1st grade i should think. The level 1 workbooks set could be started by a 1st grader or younger I think-- I forget what he said, but I imagine then that it would not last too long either.

The rest of the time you would need to comb through his video lessons and I dont know what you'ld do for workbooks, etc. So its hard to say how far level 3 workbooks would go, and if you need a text book-like parents manual, how you would feel without one.

These are only my impressions... not my experience.

Edited by Writerdaddy

• 3 years later...