Menu

IEW and teaching classically

How does IEW fit into the classical model?

We have taken such an interesting, creative road to our writing to date with CAP and assignments I create, I'm curious what this program has to offer and why people like it.

Does it use narration, dictation, and copywork?

What types of assignments are given?

I'm peeking, altho only peeking at this point at the Student Writing Intensive and thought it might be a good course to do over the next year sometime.

I am tiring and may want to move into outsourcing some things.

It is expensive yikes. (I know you all know that! lol)

I have grades 3-5.

It does not use dictation or copywork.  It's more "modeling".  Basically writing is modeled after other pieces of writing.  It teaches stylistic techniques and different types of writing.  So, for example, it starts off with narrations.  You learn to take notes from a short writing piece.  The notes are basically a key word outline.  Then you write from those notes.  As you go along you learn more and more of the stylistic techniques that you are to add to your writing.  Things like interesting verbs.  They ban certain overused verbs such as "said". 

You could always add in your own dictation and copywork outside of IEW, but there is nothing like that in the main program. 

It's not so expensive if you use it with multiple kids over a period of years.  That's how it is intended to be used (for multiple years and levels). 

• Like 1

Thanks Sparkly!

My problem is I worry so much about writing, and I have way too many products already :)

But maybe this would be good to use in the fall. I have 4th and 5th in fall so maybe I can combine them.

I know everyone loves Most Wonderful Writing Lessons, but I think they are too old for that now maybe.

Fun Stuff!!

Sad I get so excited about school books :)

Thanks Sparkly!

My problem is I worry so much about writing, and I have way too many products already :)

But maybe this would be good to use in the fall. I have 4th and 5th in fall so maybe I can combine them.

I know everyone loves Most Wonderful Writing Lessons, but I think they are too old for that now maybe.

Fun Stuff!!

Sad I get so excited about school books :)

My least favorite thing about it is having to watch the Teacher Seminar.  I know, what a thing to say.  I would rather read about it.  Sometimes he goes slower than I'd like.  So I start to get bored.  It has been difficult to force myself to watch through the videos.  I'm not even done watching it all.  It's long.  But I really do like the methods and I think they have been helpful.  I thought math would be my nemesis.  Nope.  It's been writing.  Writing is so vague.  IEW makes it step by step. 

I too have way too many writing products.  This really has been my favorite to use.  If you want to try it without committing to the whole shebang, you could just buy one of the intensives.  It can be used without the seminar.  Although there is way more in the seminar than what is in the intensives. 

• Like 1

I found it great to use for Eldest. It not only tells the student directly what to write, but how to write. I would highly recommend it to a student who doesn't know what to write, or how to write. I think a student who naturally enjoys writing would really dislike it. 

• Like 6

My least favorite thing about it is having to watch the Teacher Seminar. I know, what a thing to say. I would rather read about it. Sometimes he goes slower than I'd like. So I start to get bored. It has been difficult to force myself to watch through the videos. I'm not even done watching it all. It's long. But I really do like the methods and I think they have been helpful. I thought math would be my nemesis. Nope. It's been writing. Writing is so vague. IEW makes it step by step.

I too have way too many writing products. This really has been my favorite to use. If you want to try it without committing to the whole shebang, you could just buy one of the intensives. It can be used without the seminar. Although there is way more in the seminar than what is in the intensives.

Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only who did not enjoy watching the DVD and still had not completed them, lol.

• Like 3

I found it great to use for Eldest. It not only tells the student directly what to write, but how to write. I would highly recommend it to a student who doesn't know what to write, or how to write. I think a student who naturally enjoys writing would really dislike it.

I agree!

I never got the teacher's DVD, and have had no trouble using the books without it. 

Eldest recently wrote something from a set of three pictures, and I really liked it. He uses a wide variety of words, starts his sentences in different ways, and uses a variety of sentences lengths. 

• Like 1

I never got the teacher's DVD, and have had no trouble using the books without it.

Eldest recently wrote something from a set of three pictures, and I really liked it. He uses a wide variety of words, starts his sentences in different ways, and uses a variety of sentences lengths.

Which books have you used without it?

Which books have you used without it?

I have used Student Writing Intensive B. We would watch the Student DVDs together. Eldest got this program from his friend for Free. :) That was my main reason I went with the course. 

I then bought Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B, and we are on week 5? I'm not sure, it is the second picture study week. 

• Like 1

I have used Student Writing Intensive B. We would watch the Student DVDs together. Eldest got this program from his friend for Free. :) That was my main reason I went with the course. 

I then bought Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B, and we are on week 5? I'm not sure, it is the second picture study week. 

I just noticed something strange. There is no week 4. The table of contents goes directly from week 3 to week 5. No wonder I was confused about what week we were on. 

I don't think it makes much difference, but I have the Canadian version. To my understanding the DVDs are the same. The difference is that some of the additional writing examples are different. We have more things related to Canada, or Canadians. The cover of the book also has a Canadian flag on it. 

Edited by Julie Smith

OK I am pondering it.

No need for decision just yet.

I have lots on the shelf I can use. Just seems like the student intensive deal is a pretty good focus course if that's the correct word.

Can I use it ALL ??? LOL

(Yes some days I feel my kids DO hate me. ) :)

• Like 1

IEW has a podcast- you might want to listen to a few of those. Several of them overlap parts of the DVDs. It will give you an idea if the program resonates with you. You can also purchase Andrew Pudewa's talks on the IEW site as well. I think a couple might be free. I've truly enjoyed all of his talks.

We just use the Theme-Based Writing books from IEW (did it with 3rd-4th grade this past year and will do another with the same kids at 4th-5th grade level). It's a great program to use with a couple of ages and the books give you tips on adapting the checklists for the various ability levels in your "class." Podcasts are great chunks of the important info. We also use Fix It (grammar + copywork). I didn't both with the teacher videos (cost + time + familiarity with program already). I saw a big improvement in my kids' writing this year after steadily plowing through the material....

• Like 1

A thousand times this. :iagree:

Don't want to hijack the thread, just a quick question :) can you use just the theme books without having used the SWI or Teacher seminar DVDs? Thinking about doing that for fourth and/or fifth before we start wws.

• Like 1

Don't want to hijack the thread, just a quick question :) can you use just the theme books without having used the SWI or Teacher seminar DVDs? Thinking about doing that for fourth and/or fifth before we start wws.

We'll be new to IEW next year and were wondering the same thing.

I find that the strength of IEW is the SWI program. If you don't have the any of the DVDs you are really missing the backbone of the program.

It would be like trying to do Singapore math with only the workbooks, (no textbook, teacher book, or knowledge of Singapore methodology)

It would be like using a SOTW workbook without the book/audio.

Edited by Julie Smith

My least favorite thing about it is having to watch the Teacher Seminar.  I know, what a thing to say.  I would rather read about it.  Sometimes he goes slower than I'd like.  So I start to get bored.  It has been difficult to force myself to watch through the videos.  I'm not even done watching it all. 

Agreed. I like to skip to what is helpful, and skip the fluff.

Maybe I'm just getting old(er) HA! but my time is precious.

I am so much more effective using written docs than videos for the masses . . .oh well.

Did you use this for the past year, so for your Eldest when he was 12?

Thanks . . .

Did you use this for the past year, so for your Eldest when he was 12?

Thanks . . .

Eldest just turned 12 a couple of weeks ago. I started him with SWI-B when he was 11. The reason I choice that level was his best friend (who is older) lent it to us for free, and even gave us a workbook for our own. We did it in the recommended amount of time. (I think it was 3 months) because his friend was wanting some parts of it back at certain points so it worked well to move at the recommended pace. 

His friend is entering highschool in September, so we are going to get all parts of it to keep forever, so Youngest will be going through it at a slower pace. Youngest will be likely starting it in 4 weeks, so age 10 1/2. Again the reason I'm going with level B and not A for him, is well I already own B.

Eldest really enjoys watching the DVDs and watches each section twice. He watches it then does the work, then watches it again before moving onto the next section. He has even asked to rewatch the joke bits at the beginning and called Youngest over to watch them. 

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 1

Or the student who is an intuitive writer (natural voice, innate modeling of good writing they have read, etc) even if they don't enjoy writing, yet. That was what happened with oldest DD.