Menu

Draw, Write, Now - unit study?

I was wondering if anyone actually uses Draw, Write, Now as a unit study? I have not actually seen these books, but it appears that it can be a unit study that integrates science, social studies and LA. I assume I will supplement with library books, narration and copy work - working toward eventually writing sentences on his own.

I ordered the first two books for DS's 1st grade. I also ordered Maps Charts and Graphs level A just in case this isn't much of a social studies unit study... lol I'm not worried about science because he is enrolled to take science at the Learning Center and they will provide activities for home).

So, anyone uses it this way?

Note in case someone is wondering:

I ordered other things too AAR3, AAS1, WWE and I already have FLL and Singapore... Every day - math/spelling/some writing. AAR3 as needed because he reads fairly well and as soon as I can I'm sending him to read independently daily. I plan on alternating WWE and FLL two days and unit studies the other two days. He has one day at Learning Center that includes PE.

That seems like it would be a LOT of work on your part. Those lessons just have drawing instructions and a couple/few sentences to copy about the drawing. That's pretty much it. Occasionally there's a two page spread that's extra information that's semi-related. Like the one animal book has map drawing instructions in the middle.

We just used them as fun writing supplements.

Edited by SilverMoon

hmm You could use them inside of a unit study....well not really because there's not so much info on any one thing that it could be fleshed out.

I definitely do not see them as the basis for a unit study. I might not have enough imagination though :-D

They really are just drawing ("drawing," really just copying pictures) and writing books.

For first grade I don't think it really matters what you do beyond the basics. If you want to find books and videos for the things you draw then that's fine. Try it and let us know how it worked. You would be using an activity as your spine instead of a book. Isn't that sort of what Konos does?(on a bigger scale, of course)