Menu

Solid, Basic, Pre-algebra curriculum?

PIE!

My oldest is in public school this year, and will continue in ps next year. She is finishing 6th grade, and wants to learn pre-algebra over the summer so when she takes the 7th grade placement test she'll go right into algebra. Her math teacher suggested this as she is at the top of her class. We've gone through all the Singapore elementary books, and they are a great fit for her (which is one reason why I think she's so far ahead of most of her public school peers).

If I was homeschooling her next year I'd use AoPS, but I think it would be too much for just a summer course. What is your favorite solid, but not too rigorous (so it can be finished in just a few months of hard work) pre-algebra program? Is there something very similar to Singapore?

Thanks!

You want a program that can be done over the summer?

Consider Jousting Armadillos. It's short. It doesn't include any of the "pre-geometry" content that a lot of pre-A programs have. And it's a very "less is more" approach. Dense on thinking and information, short problem sets.

• Like 1

If she is completing 6th grade wouldn't she have already taken the placement test for 7th, or be taking it before the end of the school year?  Do they take it over the summer? I'm confused.

At this school they give it the first week of 7th grade, so what she learns over the summer will affect how she does on the test. I know, it's kind of different.

Thanks for al the replies! Funny thing was I was thinking I should look into MM or JA. Now it looks like I should look at both. And the online book looks promising too.

Now to decide. Or make her decide since she is the one who will be using it.

We like saxon Alg 1/2

This is coming from someone who is not a Saxon fan but just can't seem to get away from it.  It really delivers something that no other homeschool curriculula delivers in the Jr high and high school range- a thorough, almost fail proof affordable textbook program that is supported by several types of video lessons, excellent solutions manual, answer keys, test keys and is kind of self teaching. 

I will say, we HATED Saxon 8/7.  It was a fat blubbering whale of a textbook, and the critical thinking was not disperesed throughout, like in the other Saxon jr high and high school books.  It was terribly boring and I consider it only necessary as a remedial text.

After Singapore 1A-6B, we just wrapped up Dolciani (Houghton 1985) Pre-Algebra, and it is a rock-solid program! It's not short and easy like you like, but if she's done Singapore, she already knows a good chunk of the material.

We used Khan Academy Pre-A as a (well-received) supplement, and it's a good combo, IMO.