Menu

I need an exercise...

Farrar

I feel like I need to add something to my roster of exercise. Which, honestly, is not much of a roster. I mean, I walk regularly, I walk to the grocery, to the metro, for pleasure with dh if we're awake in the evening at the same time, etc. etc. And I do yoga, which used to be twice a week, but our group has dropped down to once, which is too bad. And I like to hike, but it's not something I do more than once a week at most and usually more like every couple of weeks. Really, that's just extended walking in nature with more hills. My favorite thing is ropes courses, but that's pricey and not close so not good for regular exercise.

I used to be better about making myself do something actually aerobic, but lately I sort of suck at it. I'm thinking I'd like to, eek, try a class for something. Doing yoga with a set time with a teacher has been really good for me in terms of keeping me on task with it. Now it's pretty ingrained. But what to try? I'm not in horrible shape, but I've never been much for exercise and I'm not really in a chubby suburban mom area so I'm not sure what would be friendly to the casual exerciser and actually enjoyable, you know? Anyone have an idea?

Don't know how enjoyable you might find it, but it sounds to me like you need to add some weights/strength training to maintain muscle tone.

Easiest is to just add some body weight exercises or free weights with a video.

More complicated is a power cage with an Olympic bar and weight bench.

I am going to be 55 soon and am constantly astounded by women my age who are not able to do things I consider basic just because they lack the muscle.

• Like 12

We have all these boutique fitness places that have been popping up around us. They tend to specialize in a specific activity: surfing, barre, rowing, spin, boxing, etc. I would probably try a class at each until I found one I enjoyed. They usually offer a first class or first week free.

• Like 4

Martial arts--schools differ in seriousness and formality. We belong to a school that might be considered a "belt mill" and hardcore people might look down on it. But it has been fabulous for my kids and DH, both for workout and self-confidence. The owners are what make it especially great. So, you might have to do a little school shopping if decide to try MA.

You might consider joining the Y to try out different styles of classes to see what interests you. They usually have a good selection of beginner classes where the pressure's not as high to be super-fit or to look or dress a certain way, which unfortunately I've seen be the case at more boutique-type gyms and studios (like barre classes).

• Like 1

I did an outdoor fitness class and LOVED it. What I noticed I really liked was that, because it was a free programme for health insurance members, the group was large and therefore anonymous, and the coach was not of the 'bootcamp' mentality, it was much more about working around your body's quirks (like sore knees) and improving on your own fitness.

The programme came to an end but one idea I've kept is interval training - jogging 30 sec walking 30 sec. I go for a walk, stop at a park and do that for 10 minutes. It makes a walk more demanding and I'm slowly upping the number of intervals.

• Like 1

I'm not fitness-y and I lack the coordination needed for a regular aerobic class.  I tried TRX a number of years ago and was hooked.  I love that I can really push myself and that I get a fantastic workout every time. I also love how strong I am now - I have muscles!  I'd be useless without a class, but being part of the TRX class has been awesome.  I go three times a week and in the last few months I've also added in daily walking and some running.  

My gym has demo classes for TRX every six weeks or so, so people can try before they sign up.  Regardless of what you end up with, I'd think that something with a lot of strength training in it would go well with what you are already doing.

• Like 1

Jumping in here.  I recently knew I had to do something about my lack of exercise.  I knew I didn't want a treadmill, too big and I hate them, no matter what I do to entertain myself, after 5 minutes I am done.  (oddly, I can walk outside forever)  I knew I didn't want to go to a gym, I hate leaving the house.

We have had an elliptical and it hurts my hips to use.

Most standard exercises are out because I don't do them properly and even when I do, I have a bad neck and they hurt.  We have had a Nordik track in the house and a gym type thing and they end up being really expensive clothes hangers.

So, I started researching and come across the benefits of rebounding.  So I read some more.  And more.  And the more I read, the better it sounded.  While some of the NASA research has reportedly been debunked, the rest is legit.  Started with this article..http://wellnessmama.com/13915/rebounding-benefits/

Quoting from the article:

Benefits of Rebounding

I mentioned many of these above, but here are the benefits of rebounding without all the science and sources:

• Boosts lymphatic drainage and immune function
  • Great for skeletal system and increasing bone mass
  • Helps improve digestion
  • More than twice as effective as running without the extra stress on the ankles and knees
  • Increases endurance on a cellular level by stimulating mitochondrial production (these are responsible for cell energy)
  • Helps improve balance by stimulating the vestibule in the middle ear
  • Helps improve the effects of other exercise- one study found that those who rebounded for 30 seconds between weight lifting sets saw 25% more improvement after 12 weeks than those who did not.
  • Rebounding helps circulate oxygen throughout the body to increase energy.
  • Rebounding in a whole body exercise that improves muscle tone throughout the body.
  • Some sources claim that the unique motion of rebounding can also help support the thyroid and adrenals.
  • Rebounding is fun!

Ok, so I knew this sounded like it was definitely for me.  Next research topic, buying a rebounder.  That took me a few weeks.  The only con I read anywhere about the exercise was if you bought a cheap spring type one.  So I didn't.  I bought a JumpSport Pro.  Yes, it wasn't cheap.  But in my experience, buying cheap exercise equipment is always a bad idea.  So, it came, it doesn't take up much room, it sits right behind my chair and I have been gently bouncing 3 times a day for about 10-20 minutes.

I have owned it for two weeks and have so far just gently bounced.  I can tell you right off, it is amazing.  NOTHING hurts except my calves the first few days.  My horrible neck, is actually better!  My abs are tightening already and the best part is, I don't even have to consciously do anything, the action of bouncing does it all, your body constantly adjusts and works your core in doing so.   It's still new, but I am already thrilled with both my purchase and the exercise.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 3

Another vote for strength training - we start losing muscle mass at the age of 35, and bone mass after menopause.  Strength training is the best way to fight both.  There are so many benefits to it.  Maybe you're not old enough to be worried about aging yet.  I am!  I'm 42, but I see so many people in their 70's and even in their 60's (!!!) who have trouble just getting around and functioning normally.  I don't want that to happen to me.  I want to be able to live for as long as I live!  I wish I had taken better care of myself when I was younger, but better to start now than to wait even longer.

I think your walking can build a pretty good aerobic base, especially if you are walking briskly, or throw in some intervals of brisk walking where you are pushing yourself.  So the strength training would be a good complement to that.  

If you're interested in doing bodyweight exercises, check out:  http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581?ie=UTF8&keywords=you%20are%20your%20own%20gym&qid=1465478751&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1  (If you decide to purchase this book, I recommend print not kindle.  You'll want to refer back to it frequently, and I find it harder in a kindle version to find the page I'm looking for.)

A bench and an assortment of dumbbells will give you a lot of versatility.  If funds are limited, skip the bench and start with the dumbbells, because there's quite a bit you can do without a bench.  Throw in a pull-up bar or gymnastics rings if you can.  I haven't done anything with rings yet -- TRX classes are offered at my gym, but they are not included in the basic membership (they cost extra), so I haven't tried it yet.  But it looks fun -- very challenging, but fun! 

You might want to check out https://www.girlsgonestrong.com  They're having a sale right now on their program, so I may buy it.  But even if you're not interested in that, I've been really enjoying the articles and videos that they post (they post them to Facebook too, if you want to get them that way.)

If you're a nerd like me who likes to know about the research regarding fitness, this book is really interesting and motivating:  http://www.amazon.com/First-20-Minutes-Surprising-Exercise/dp/0142196754?ie=UTF8&keywords=the%20first%20twenty%20minutes&qid=1465480075&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

• Like 3

Your mentioning of ropes courses leads me to suggest Parkour. My 3 boys all train at a local parkour gym and are totally obsessed. There are lots of varied classes for adults and even ones for adults over 35 called 401 PK. That one is filled with middle aged moms :)

The parkour gym also features aerial silks/acrobatics classes that are very popular with women of all fitness levels.

Just some out of the box suggestions for interesting fitness ideas. Maybe you have a parkour gym in your area :)

The gym we go to www.urbanevo.com has more info on what parkour is in the event you haven't heard of it (like much of my family, lol)

• Like 1

Drink the koolaid and join crossfit! I've never ever been much of an exerciser other than the occasional dvd at home. A friend asked me to come for a week free and it changed my life. I've been going for 3 months now,5 days a week. It is the highlight of my day. I love it. And I'm getting in awesome shape. I did my first ever pull up after two months. My body has been completely transformed, as well as my attitude towards fitness.

You never know what the workout will be when you come in, you've got a personal trainer there to help you get the right form, and everyone else cheering you on. It's the hardest workout ever, but you do it and it feels awesome. It's for everyone, no matter where you begin.

• Like 1

Your mentioning of ropes courses leads me to suggest Parkour. My 3 boys all train at a local parkour gym and are totally obsessed. There are lots of varied classes for adults and even ones for adults over 35 called 401 PK. That one is filled with middle aged moms :)

The parkour gym also features aerial silks/acrobatics classes that are very popular with women of all fitness levels.

Just some out of the box suggestions for interesting fitness ideas. Maybe you have a parkour gym in your area :)

The gym we go to www.urbanevo.com has more info on what parkour is in the event you haven't heard of it (like much of my family, lol)

I do Aerial Silks but have always wanted to try out Parkour, we are always climbing and jumping around(my son actually calls me his Parkour buddy. We are going to try it out for my b-day this year I'm so excited! I wish there was a closer place, as it is I drive 1.5 hrs 1way for Silks 1x a week. I did some adult gymnastics classes this past summer and that was pretty cool. Rock climbing is really fun and builds great strength. If you really want to think outside the box pole dancing is taking off and geez crazy workout. 

• Like 1

I'm so jealous.  Wish we had a parkour gym here!  (Oh, not for me, I'm much too chicken for anything like that.  But my daughter would love it!)

Me too, my son is made to climb but we have no climbing sports of any kind locally(the parkour gym we're going to is about 3 hrs away). I plan on taking him and my 9yo daughter w/ me to the gym. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

So... I totally forgot I started this thread until I started thinking about it again. Oops.  :001_rolleyes:

But y'all had many good ideas!

Crossfit is soooooo not for me. No cults. ;) I just cannot see myself lifting weights. I'm sure it would be good for me, but it won't happen. The best curriculum is the one that gets done. And the best exercise is the one that actually happens.

A friend teaches bellydance and there are a bunch of homeschool moms in her class. But it's across the river. I feel like one of the reasons that yoga has worked so well is that I can walk there. Maybe I should look for bellydance closer though. That's a good idea. Or maybe there's another dance class nearby. I think I'd actually do that.

So... I actually have a good rebounder - a Jumpsport. It's the kids' trampoline and we actually just restrung it (they have amazing customer service). And I felt like, indeed, parking it in front of the TV and working out for an hour would be great. Except... I learned that I really can't jump long term without having (god, this is so TMI) bladder issues. Twins did a number on me. I was evaluated for this ages ago - not big enough for serious interventions, not bad enough to bother with medications and side effects. Not anything I think about really unless I've had a sneezing or coughing cold for literally weeks or... unless I'm jumping on a trampoline for more than five minutes. I'd be willing to do it anyway... Go pee, stick in a pantyliner and I'd be okay. I guess I just wonder - and maybe someone can answer this - if I do that then am I stressing those muscles in a negative way making the problem worse long term OR am I building them up or not even going to have an effect on them?  :001_unsure:

• Like 2

So... I actually have a good rebounder - a Jumpsport. It's the kids' trampoline and we actually just restrung it (they have amazing customer service). And I felt like, indeed, parking it in front of the TV and working out for an hour would be great. Except... I learned that I really can't jump long term without having (god, this is so TMI) bladder issues. Twins did a number on me. I was evaluated for this ages ago - not big enough for serious interventions, not bad enough to bother with medications and side effects. Not anything I think about really unless I've had a sneezing or coughing cold for literally weeks or... unless I'm jumping on a trampoline for more than five minutes. I'd be willing to do it anyway... Go pee, stick in a pantyliner and I'd be okay. I guess I just wonder - and maybe someone can answer this - if I do that then am I stressing those muscles in a negative way making the problem worse long term OR am I building them up or not even going to have an effect on them?  :001_unsure:

I read somewhere in my research that it strengthens all muscles, including those ones.  A very good thing for me as well.  Here's hoping!

• Like 1

I'm so jealous.  Wish we had a parkour gym here!  (Oh, not for me, I'm much too chicken for anything like that.  But my daughter would love it!)

Me too, my son is made to climb but we have no climbing sports of any kind locally(the parkour gym we're going to is about 3 hrs away). I plan on taking him and my 9yo daughter w/ me to the gym. 

I hope it continues to increase in popularity. There seem to be lots of new parkour gyms popping up in certain markets... maybe you will get a gym someday soon!

My 3 boys used to do gymnastics prior to parkour, but we were just doing it for exercise 1 or 2 times a week (so recreational, not competitive). Honestly, the kids spent most of their time waiting in line and never came out of class sweaty. When we jumped over to the parkour side, the changes were immediate. They came out of classes dripping and totally motivated to do more. It's kind of like the dream activity for boys who want to climb over stuff and jump around, lol.

Now that my oldest is 14 and my middle son is almost 12, I can say that doing parkour has helped us navigate all of the early puberty stuff better than I ever could have dreamed. They get all of their testosterone out with "the guys" and are much more emotionally even at home. Huge win!

I keep eyeing those 401PK (parkour for middle aged people) classes with interest. They make an effort to have it be less impact than regular parkour, but I still haven't quite gotten brave enough to jump in. I'm happy with my couch to 5k progress for the moment.

Edited by UmmIbrahim
  • Like 2