Menu

Calculus Scheduling - Help!

I'm trying to figure out what to do for Calculus for next year, and one of the texts I'm considering using is Stewart's (really old 2nd edition - but we already own the textbook and the solutions manual).  How many homework problems would be reasonable for one day?  I saw one lesson had 49 problems and that is not what my dd is used to.  We've been using mostly AOPS since she was in 6th grade.  I'm tempted to stick with AOPS just to avoid trying to schedule Stewart's...  My dd is very strong in math, and I don't want to swamp her with busy work, but I also don't want her to skimp on mastering the material.  Even if you haven't used Stewart's, is 49 homework problems for one day "normal", or do I need to assign only odds?  Or should I spread out one lesson over 2 days? TIA

We used AoPS and only switched to Stewart for multivariable - and received a rude shock that reminded us how wonderful AoPS was, when we had to use the dry and soulless standard textbook.

I do not know what you mean by "lessons" - do you mean sections? A section is not necessarily one lesson. 48 problems per section is way too many. It will depend on the individual section how much homework is necessary and will vary from section to section.

I recommend that you google and find a syllabus for a college class that uses Stewart and see what they assign. (I will go and look if I can find one in my records.)

• Like 1

Oh no no no you shouldn't be trying to do every problem in Stewart. At most I would do every other problem. The 2nd edition is fine. Some sections may take longer than others and some problems may take longer than others.

But if your DD has been doing AOPS, Stewart is probably going to be pretty easy and a lot more busywork. Is there a reason you want to move away?

Yes, I meant section, not lesson.  Sorry! I was thinking of trying Stewart's mostly because I already own it and the solutions manual.  It's my dh's college text.  I also wasn't sure if there was enough practice in AOPS.  I've heard that it's not a very long book.  Perhaps she doesn't need that though.  I have trouble making up my mind mostly.   :confused1:   But ok, I shouldn't assign every problem.  That seems more reasonable.  Maybe I'll make my dd choose...

If your duaghter liked AoPS, & it was working for her, I'd stick with it for calculus, too. Sure, supplement with extra problems if you want. You could even use Stewart as a source for that practice.

What I did with my daughter was use Calculus for the Forgetful. It's a very slim text; this was before AoPS had published their book. She learned the theory that way. In order to gain fluency, I had her work problems from the Barrons AP review guide. It has plenty, complete with answers. As an added bonus, she was more than well prepared for the AP exam in the spring, in case that's one of your goals.

• Like 2

Hmm, so if we were to stick with AOPS and I tried to supplement with Stewart, how many extra problems would be reasonable then?  I don't think she'll be taking the AP exam in the spring.  She's planning to major in Computer Science and I've read from moms on this board that it can be helpful to retake Calculus in college in STEM related majors.  I'm mostly interested in giving her the best foundation I can before she graduates so she'll be prepared for all of her college math.

I think AOPS + practice problems from Stewart as needed (it's very topical so easy to find extra practice) would be a better fit than just doing Stewart.

Edit: Since I just saw your post, I wouldn't assign problems as a prophylactic measure, but assign them if she seems to be forgetting basic rules. So if you can see that she's struggling with working chain rule problems, go find the chain rule section in Stewart and work problems until it makes better sense. But don't just assign them assuming she'll need the practice; many clever students don't.

Edited by kiana
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone!  I think you all just talked me into buying AOPS again. :laugh:   Not that it's hard to talk me into buying more books...  I guess in an ideal universe I should use the next few months to refresh my calculus "memory".  I took calculus way back in high school so it's all a little hazy now.  I have Calculus for the Forgetful.  Perhaps I'll pull it out this afternoon.

As I recall -- either in higher level math in HS or in college, the math books had the answers in the back of the book for a subset of the problems (or perhaps a separate Solutions manual?) So all odd problems or all even.  Teachers tended to assign a combination of odd and even problems, then only grade the ones without the answers in the back of the book.  The number of problems really depended on the complexity of the answer. The others were there if you were having problems and you were expected to work them as needed for extra practice. (or if you found it fun and just wanted to)

If your duaghter liked AoPS, & it was working for her, I'd stick with it for calculus, too. Sure, supplement with extra problems if you want. You could even use Stewart as a source for that practice.

This is what my ds did. AOPS as a primary resource, extra practice problems for some topics in Stewart, then heavy work with an AP prep book for two months before the AP exam.