Menu

Assigning credit question

My son took a class this year and did well the first semester making a B+ average. Well this semester he didn't put in the work and blew off a few assignments so he has an F this semester. His overall average for the year is passing though. Do I award him a full credit for the year? He put in more than enough hours even with the F for this semester to count as a full credit. The class was intense with weekly projects that took many, many hours to complete. I am torn on how to record this on the transcript? His other classes were at a local private Christian school where he has a 4.3 GPA this semester and a running GPA of 3.9.

Any advice is appreciated.

I would not put the course on his transcript. Or I would allow him to do the missing work for full credit. Or if the assigned work was too much, I would chalk it up to my mistake and base his grade on what he did do.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

I teach at a public high school and they do semester averaging. If the fall and spring semesters average to at least a 70, then the student gets credit for the entire year. In Texas, passing is 70 and above so grades are A, B, C, F.

You should also know that at many schools, teachers are not allowed to have a final semester or year-long average of 69. If either of those would be 69, the teacher is required to bump it up to 70.

In the three school districts I have taught in so far, they have all used semester averaging to get a final grade for the year.

I would have him complete the missing work during the summer or make it a 0.5 credit.  If that's not possible could you assign a pass / fail instead of letter grade.  I don't like the idea of granting credit for work not done to my satisfaction, but I don't want to hurt my child either.  

Schools would have averaged the two semesters together for a final grade in the class.  He would pass but the grade would be very low.  Not sure it would be fair to change it or drop it,  so he maintains his gpa.  I would have him do the work or some of it so you can assign a better grade.  

My experience with my own dd being in high school is that even if a student fails a class, they school will pass the student so that the school's overall stats look better. So, honestly, I would not penalize your student more than a traditional high school would because then your student is at a competitive disadvantage with students who probably weren't held to standards as high as yours. I would do whatever I could to help the student pass the class with a higher grade, including granting extra time to complete assignments.

I was probably the only person at dd's school to request that my child actually fail the class she achieved a failing grade in. I felt that if she hadn't leaned the material, she should not move on. The school denied my request.  :glare:

• Like 2

Wow... Tara....that's crazy.!! I never thought schools really just passed on students though I had hear it happens. I appreciate the responses and think I will just allow him to make up 2 of his larger assignments/ projects that carried a heavier weight and calculate that in the grade so he is passing this semester. He is a motivated student in a lot of ways but he is also a competitive swimmer that trains 3 hours a day 45 miles away and I think he was just feeling burnout with this particular class and not being honest with me.

Thanks again ladies!!