Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Is this song considered racist?

I went back and realized missed this. No, it won't ruin anyone's week. But if someone does sing or play it I'm not ascribing racist motivations to them for doing so. That's silly and the intent isn't anywhere in the song to that effect. Make more sense?

I think labeling people "racist" as a binary, you-are-or-you-aren't thing is problematic and, except in extreme cases, often not productive.  It's more complicated than that.

Someone singing this song is not doing something intentionally racist if they are unaware of the issues with the song.  

However, whether or not the singer intends to do something racist, their action does have the potential for perpetuating/validating racism, by teaching children that these terms are OK to use to describe groups of people, by teaching children that it's ok to ignore others when they say that speaking about them in a particular way is derogatory or painful or both, and by reinforcing, for the children and anyone else listening, that the community the singer is representing is one that does not put a priority on kindness to others.  

If the singer is aware that the song is problematic, and still chooses to use it in a teacher-to-student, adult-to-child, religious education context, then I think it is fair to call their action racist.  

If this action is part of a pattern of racist actions by this person, I think it is fair to call the person racist. 

• Like 7

Yes, the colors one wears traditionally in their culture has nothing to do with skin color.

The white==good and black==bad trope, however, DOES play out sociologically, in favor of lighter skinned people.

I suppose. I guess it is hard to fight the whole idea of "night" as racism, since the sun does set most places every evening.

I suppose. I guess it is hard to fight the whole idea of "night" as racism, since the sun does set most places every evening.

I trust that you can grasp that the metaphorical usage of words is distinct from the literal use of words.