Menu

My boss

Scarlett

My hairdresser swears by Babyliss. You can definitely spend that much. You'd probably have to look at a beauty supply place. But still, he could go through a lot of $20 hair dryers, even at the rate of 1/year, to hit that kind of money. Is he just clueless?

I'm not sure. I don't want to question him on how he spends his money......but yikes if he had a cheap one last 10 years what is he thinking. But he buys stuff on line a lot. So he might have already looked at them.

I am headed to Ulta.

• Like 1

Oh my word. He has super short fine hair and the toddler has the same silky fine hair except shoulder length.

Fine hair which my mom has feels the heat more than coarse hair which the rest of us have. Since he is using the hair dryer on his toddler, he might just give a higher budget because stuff supposedly safe for toddlers are always priced more than teen/adult stuff.

Some hair dryers do cost that much but since my hair is so hard to dry, I rather pay up at the saloon for two hairdressers to style dry my hair when I need my hair to "behave" for formal occasions.

Ulta is a good shopping option.  Ask someone working there for a recommendation and mention using it with a toddler.  The professional dryers are what salons use and they are that expensive,  not that I would shell out that much for a blow dryer.  (Admitting, I'd love to have one though.)

Mine wasn't that expensive but it was expensive to me- about $100 at Ulta.  It dries faster than my Walmart blow dryer did and is super quiet. It's ceramic or something....I really don't know....but it is supposed to cut down on frizziness especially in winter. And it does.  My hair looks a lot better since I started using this blow dryer.   

My DD is a big youtube hair and makeup fan. The elchim brand us good and 170+. More heat=faster drying/more shine, but for a guy? A toddler? Maybe make sure there is a cool air function, as little kids have sensitive scalps.

• Like 1

I can imagine buying one that expensive if you're a professional and your time using it adds up to hours/day, because the dryer would be made of higher quality parts and drying each client's hair faster allows you to fit in another client for that day, which pays for the dryer.

But for a short-haired man and a toddler, no.

I remember in the 1990s when my hairdresser told me she had ruined a pair of ~$100 scissors that morning, and I was gobsmacked they cost that much. Must be even more now.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

The fancy new ones that dry in less time are expensive, but not sure if that expensive. 

OK, wow, there's even a $300 hair dryer.  I bought a $20 at Target and am very happy with it.

http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/2015/best-hair-dryers#slide=1

You didn't look at all of them on your link.  One goes for $700.  $300 is a bargain! 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who can't get past blow drying a toddler's hair? I'm sure there are good reasons, but it has me 😒. (Also, the side eye emoji is by far my favorite.)

We need a poll. Which is weirder, blow drying a toddler's hair or spending $300 on a blow dryer.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who can't get past blow drying a toddler's hair? I'm sure there are good reasons, but it has me 😒. (Also, the side eye emoji is by far my favorite.)

I used to blow-dry my son's hair when he was a toddler. I washed it 1-2 times a week before bed, and if he went to bed with wet hair it would stick up at crazy angles until I washed it again. If I dried it he wouldn't have bed head. Plus he thought it was great fun to get blasted with my hairdryer :).

• Like 3

My little girls love getting their hair dried. With my $20 dryer, btw. I imagine that it would be even more fun with a $300 dryer???

Edited by Moxie

He just cracks me up. He just left me a note to buy him and his daughter a new hair blow dryer because the one he had blew up. Told me to get a nice one....$125-200 range.

Have any of you ever heard of one so expensive?

Yes.  I went into Ulta one day looking for one (had never been in Ulta before).  Holy Moly.

You can get a very, very nice Xtava on Amazon for $35.  Most people don't need one that good, but if you have super thick, takes forever to dry hair, it's the bomb.

ETA: the Xtava comes in this like, ludicrously nice box.  It's lined with velvety material and the whole thing. 

Edited by TammyS

He may want one that is quieter than the cheap ones. Those cost more but it's nicer that putting plugs in your ears when you dry your hair. :0)

Dd17s is either a Chi or Bayliss. It was $60 at Tjmaxx. It is fast drying and so much quieter than mine ( which came from Costco). When she isn't home, I hop in her room and use hers intead of mine. There is a noticeable difference in quality and function.

We have lots of long, fine, fly away hair, so hair driers can fry our hair, and tie it up in knots if the temp is too hot or if the air blows too fast.

I always blew out my toddler's hair after bath each night.  Dried in about 2 minutes and kept them from going to bed with a wet head.

I always knew that wet hair was a "thing" in some families but I honestly never connected that to blow-drying a toddler's hair. I guess it's a logical conclusion. 

My kids got bathed once a week until primary school, though, so there ya go.

• Like 1

You have to stipulate about it not being winter and going out with wet hair.

Well. No. People I know just go out with wet hair. It's pretty uncivilized to some but when you live in a high COL area you have to cut corners somewhere! ;)

He just cracks me up. He just left me a note to buy him and his daughter a new hair blow dryer because the one he had blew up. Told me to get a nice one....$125-200 range.

Have any of you ever heard of one so expensive?

Haha yes. Precessional ones for cosmetologists.

Don't ask what our scissors cost. You do not want to know.

I always knew that wet hair was a "thing" in some families but I honestly never connected that to blow-drying a toddler's hair. I guess it's a logical conclusion.

My kids got bathed once a week until primary school, though, so there ya go.

Once a week? Maybe this is regional. In Arkansas, you can't tolerate a kid who isn't bathed daily. I would say my 16 yo hasn't skipped a daily bath 5 times in his life. He went into the tub before bed regardless of how late we got home. Now he is a teen and prefers morning showers but he often has one at night too.

My oldest uses a hair dryer and straightener (including one straightener that also dries as it straightens) but she's the only one.

My hair takes 30+ minutes to dry at the salon with the professional equipment.  I don't ever bother at home.  Even in winter I would go out with wet hair.  I usually had wet hair at work for the first hour or so, unless I washed it the night before (which I did try to do but it didn't always work out).

My youngest, I braid her hair after her bath/shower but it's not uncommon for it to be wet at bedtime.  My son would flip out if I tried to blow dry his hair.  He has sensory issues and one of his biggest sound triggers is the sound of blowers.