Menu

Reading lists for your 9th and 10th graders

I have a couple questions:

1) where do you get your suggestions or ideas to put on your kid's reading lists?

2) what are you putting on your 9th and 10th graders reading list for the fall.  (especially if your 9th grader is a boy and your 10th grader is a girl).

Just a bit of information about my kids:  9th grade boy...doesn't like to read much, so finding books that he will try is really hard.  10th grade girl, will ready practically anything...loves history. 

Please help me find books for the kids this fall.

thanks.

I only use these sites for ideas. They may contain books that would not be a good fit for all readers. Each family has to use their own judgement.

Read Your Way Through History

A Book in Time

Juvenile Series & Sequels

This definitely contains books I wouldn't recommend. However, it's useful if there's an author or series that you like and you're looking for other books by that author.  You can do the same on amazon, but this one is faster for me, esp. when I'm trying to figure out the order of books in a series.

Classical Christian 1000 Good Books List

When you say "reading lists"… Do you mean a list of "free reading" or solo reading? OR, do you mean Literature list for studying as part of your English credit?

In answer to your 2 questions:

1) where do you get your suggestions or ideas to put on your kid's reading lists?

For free reading ideas, I look at what my students' interests are and come here to ask for ideas. :) For a student who doesn't enjoy reading as a free time activity, I'd just try and have on hand things that might be of interest -- magazines, video game tips & tricks manuals, non-fiction on topics the student is interested in, etc. I'd also keep up the family read alouds to keep some reading variety going, and assign some "must reads" for the English credit. For "must reads" for transcript credit, I would definitely try and include some works that might connect with the non-reader student, but I'd also include works most commonly done by high schoolers and a few works from a college-bound reading list, as well as a few works that were highly significant to our family's core values or faith.

For reading that is part of school/Literature/English credit, I glean from many sources:

- table of contents of high school Literature programs

- books for which there are good individual study guides (publishers like Garlic Press' Discovering Literature, Perfection Learning's Portals to Literature, Progeny Press, Glencoe Literature Library, 

- college-bound reading lists

- on-line syllabi of high school English classes

- 1000 Good Books lists

- Ambleside Online lists

2) what are you putting on your 9th and 10th graders reading list for the fall?

I loosely tied our Lit. and History together each year, but didn't follow that rigidly. We did things like:

- Literary Lessons From the Lord of the Rings

- ancient epics/classics (to go with our Ancient Lit)

- American Lit. (to go with our American History)

- made our own "Worldviews in Classic Sci-Fi Lit." (to go with our 20th century World History)

I did have a "book basket list" for grades 9 and 10 and required DSs pick 1 book every 6 weeks to solo read -- the books were mostly historical fiction or current trending young adult fiction to loosely go along with whatever we studying in History.

And if you mean Reading List as in part of the Literature for the English credit:

- Do you want a Lit. program to walk your student through the literature, or something you do with your student, or do you like to make your own?

- Do you plan to have DS and DD do some of their Lit. together with you? That is always great to have several students on the same work for discussion! :)

- Do you want to cover a variety of types of Literature? (novel, novella, short story, play, poetry, essay, biography)

- Do you want to link up the Lit. and History for DD? If so, what time period of History will she be studying?

- Does DS have interest in any particular area that might match up with a Literature genre? examples:

Science/Tech --> science fiction

Sports/Outdoor Activities --> adventure

Logic --> mystery

- Or does DS have interest in any particular type of movies that might have a corresponding Literature genre, such as Dystopian films/novels...

It's easier to suggest titles that might be a match if we know your goals, and your students, a little better! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I have a couple questions:

2) what are you putting on your 9th and 10th graders reading list for the fall. (especially if your 9th grader is a boy and your 10th grader is a girl).

Just a bit of information about my kids: 9th grade boy...doesn't like to read much, so finding books that he will try is really hard. 10th grade girl, will ready practically anything...loves history.

Please help me find books for the kids this fall.

thanks.

1) I based some of my selections for grade 9/10 on the IGCSE Exam Syllabus English Literature.

We won't attend the exam, but I had no idea what to require.

2) grade 9/10

Silas Marner

Agnes Gray

An inspector calls (graphic novel with original text)

The Chosen

10-15 poems

The Old men and the Sea

Fahrenheit 451

Of Mice and men

Faith like Potatoes (christian book) .

Jane Austen Biography by Catherine Reef

John Steinbeck biography by Catherine Reef

The Merchant of Venice

10 short stories

Northanger Abbey

We don't link literature to history.

As dd follows the languages track we try to read books in their original language.

Books originally written in French or German we don't read for English Literature.

• Like 1

thank you for these ideas.  They are very helpful.  I didn't mention that my kids are both doing the Notgrass government this fall...and I am waiting for them to post the literature list for that program.  So there will be those books.  But I was just wanting to fill in the gaps with other ones too.

thanks again for the suggestions.