Menu

Thoughts on the 1970s-normed CAT test?

Former elementary school teacher here. Does anyone have experience with how the 1970s-normed CAT test relates to students today? (i.e. do you think the percentiles and grade equivalents still have merit?)

I just finished testing my end of 1st and 2nd grade son and daughter to meet the NC homeschool requirement (we took the online timed one by Christian Liberty), but knowing it's the same test I took in elementary school nearly 30 years ago just has me curious. Any insights appreciated!

I use every few years just because my kids like it better than the IOWA because it doesn't take as long :)

I don't believe any standardized test really means much in the scheme of life so I don't worry about it.  I give the test for the same purpose you mentioned, merely to meet the state requirements and it meets that need.  I give the Iowa every few years just because it's a different look and feel and provides some variety, plus the kids like the researching and maps/diagrams tests and I don't think the CAT has that.

I've been giving my 8yods the CAT-6 which is the more modern version.  I don't like it at all.  I'd prefer the older version myself but I order from Seton Testing and they didn't have the second grade older CAT available anymore.

I gave my public school K the 2nd grade CAT (same thing, used Christian Liberty timed online) and I'm not sure exactly how it relates.  He answered almost every test 100% correct.  His GLEs were as high as 5.9, lowest was 3.3.  The only thing he didn't seem to know very well on the test was punctuation and capitalization.

Once we get moved, I'm hoping to find something more equivalent to what's given in public schools, because I don't think that one matches up.

(For reference, my son was tested prior to starting K in 2 different states, he passed the end of year tests in both states at the beginning of the year.  He was only in one school district for a few weeks, and in the other for all but the first 2 weeks of their school year.  His 2nd/current school, the teacher has *tried* to teach him on his level, and mid-year he was tested/placed in the gifted program, which is a twice a week pullout.  He HAS learned some things in school (particularly about writing) but the majority of his new knowledge this school year has come from me working with him at home.  I want to find a good standardized test that can give me a baseline of where he is, for comparison a year from now.  The online CAT wasn't it.  Nor was Christian Liberty's TestPoint untimed placement.  He got everything 100% correct on those tests, and across the board it said grade 1.5, so I assume that's the highest it goes.  I'm looking into DORA and ADAM through Seton once we get moved next month to hopefully fit the bill.)

The DORA and ADAM are available at a discount from HSBC, which may be cheaper. Talent search testing is also an Option for kids who hit ceilings, but before 3rd/4th grade, the only option is the SCAT through CTY, and it's just plain an odd test, and wasn't really helpful for DD. The EXPLORE at 3rd was much more useful. I like BESTS for their breakdown on what the score means and suggestions for next steps (and they also tend to be one of the less expensive talent search programs). Once your DC are ready for the ACT, you can just register for it directly, and save the fees. We're using it as an end of year test for the first time this year, in 6th.

Not seeing DORA and ADAM on HSBC currently.  I found a link for an expired group buy.  I talked to Seton a few weeks ago about whether I could buy the 10 pack and use them all for one kid, they said no problem, that I could split them any way I wanted.  Maybe talk to the HS friends about splitting a multi-pack to make it cheaper for each of you?

I'm fine with the CAT test for now (also used the Christian Liberty Press timed online version) for a few reasons. 1. It meets my state's requirements. 2. Standardized tests are nothing more than a benchmark and, by themselves, mean absolutely nothing. You have to take the same test for a few years in a row for the benchmark effect to even be useful. For instance, is my daughter scoring in roughly the same percentiles each year according to her age? Is she regressing in an area? etc. That's how schools used to use them and how I wish they were still using them! The test is very straightforward which helps kids answer what they actually know (v. the SBAC trial we did where the kids spent most of the time trying to figure out WHAT the question was even asking). If you take a different test each year, then you don't know whether your kid does just does better on one test than another or whether it's actually reflecting their academic performance in a given year. 3. my kids are still in elementary school, so I'm not sweating it much anyway. 

• Like 1

Wow, CLP hasn't updated?  Seton has the newer CAT and is pushing everyone over.  The newer is REALLY nice.  I've done the CAT for a number of years with my kids and assumed the newer would be bad in some way with Common Core and all that.  Actually, I really like it!  It's very engaging and thoughtfully set up, with questions that really make my gifted with disabilities ds think.  It is a tiny bit more expensive, but really it's a better test.

If you just want to meet your state requirements, the IOWA, Stanford, Woodcock Johnson, anything normed with the required scores (composite, breakdowns, whatever) will do.  I like the CAT for the pricepoint and the limited number of days it takes to administer.  I'm giving the new edition CAT to my dd when she gets back from her internship.  I'm HOPING that's the last time we ever have to do that!  :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

I was about to give the CAT to my kids for a free purposes. I want to see if they are at grade level and what things we need to work on. I also want them to have practice taking these tests since my first two didn't do all that well on the ACT being the first time they had ever take a standerized test. They got into the college of their choice but it is not a competitive school. I would like for the others to have more practice and for me to identify areas they need work on as we go along.

Testing is not required here. I want to administer the test myself and not spend a small fortune. What are my other options?

Edited by busymama7

Wow, CLP hasn't updated?  Seton has the newer CAT and is pushing everyone over.  The newer is REALLY nice.  I've done the CAT for a number of years with my kids and assumed the newer would be bad in some way with Common Core and all that.  Actually, I really like it!  It's very engaging and thoughtfully set up, with questions that really make my gifted with disabilities ds think.  It is a tiny bit more expensive, but really it's a better test.

If you just want to meet your state requirements, the IOWA, Stanford, Woodcock Johnson, anything normed with the required scores (composite, breakdowns, whatever) will do.  I like the CAT for the pricepoint and the limited number of days it takes to administer.  I'm giving the new edition CAT to my dd when she gets back from her internship.  I'm HOPING that's the last time we ever have to do that!   :)

How do you know which CAT is the newer one?  I see 3 different ones on the Seton site.  I've never done testing before, so this is so confusing!

ETA:  Never mind...I finally saw the big ad on the side of the webpage!! LOL!

Edited by tmstranger