Menu

Bee nest in compost pile?

Renthead Mommy

My bf's compost pile is 10+ year old pile on the edge of the woods.  Healthy pile with kitchen scraps, weeds and fall leaves.  But pulling out dirt she uncovered a bees nest.   Any clue what to do?  How to get rid of it?  She can't go near it now because they see her coming and are really pissed off she said. 

So give my your best how to get rid of bees without them attempting to kill you off first suggestions please. 

They could be bees or wasps, I presume. As far as I know, most of these insects like sun and warm weather. So if you are going to use some kind of chemical, the best time to do it is in the very early morning before the sun hits the area where the nest is. A cool, cloudy day is also good. That is what I would do.

BUT your friend should find out about bees and wasps in your area. It's helpful to know a bit about the life cycle of your species -- for example, do they make underground tunnels, or nest in wood? Local garden centers can be a valuable source of info, as can local extension service. They will know what is in your area. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know what you are dealing with, as opposed to doing a 'scorched earth' application of chemicals.

I am sure you are aware that some species can be *extremely* aggressive. Hiring an exterminator could be a wise move.

Well, this will not work if you are an all-organic family, but...

In the early morning, when the day is at the coldest and wasps are least active, put Sevin dust around the entrance to the nest. The wasps will land near the hole and drag the dust inside as they come and go.

You can also hang disposable wasp traps around the area to reduce the size of the wasp population, but it won't get them all.

I am not sure if they are bees or wasps.  They are NOT honey bees.  So I don't think anyone will come relocate them.  They are bigger she said so I am wondering if they are wasps.  She wouldn't be against something like the Sevin dust, but the dogs would be an issue unless it is the far end of the pile away from the gate.  (The pile is about 10 feet long).  But yes, an exterminator might be the better way to go.  But they are buried down into the compost pile.  They never bothered her until she pulled a section of pile back exposing them.   

Thanks. 

They might very well be bumblebees, which are bigger than honeybees and build ground nests. If she can start another compost pile for the time being, I think the bumbles will simmer down or move on come winter and then she can clear out the nest and reclaim her old compost pile. 

Just a friendly reminder: Many different kinds of bees, wasps and flies contribute to the overall pollination system, so if you can afford to have mercy on them, your local ecology will thank you.

• Like 5

Giant hornets used to make nests in our compost pile.  And black snakes.  Dd once found the snake's skin and old snake eggs deep inside the pile.

Dd sprayed the bees with bee spray in the cans that spray ~20 feet.  There's just no way any of us were going to get that close to a nest and start stirring it around.  The spray never seemed to bother our pile (or the snakes).  Even our peacocks and chickens rooted around in it and didn't seem to be affected by the spray. 

I think dd eventually covered the pile with some kind of netting or screen (?) to keep the bees and creatures out of it.

Edited by _ ?^..