Menu

Pens for Pentime

carriede

I'm considering using Pentime for my kids this coming school year, DD4 books 1 and DS6 book 2 (transition to cursive).

I thought it might be fun to use PENS for Pentime. Any suggestions? Needs to write smoothly without blots... or should I just stick with pencils? Thanks!

• Like 1

:lurk5:

Following. 

We bought a pack of Frixion pens and they were great...while they lasted.  They didn't even last through a school year though before they were out of ink and the kids didn't use them that terribly often either.  I was honestly really disappointed.  For the price, I expected them to last longer.  On the hunt for a longer-lasting, less-expensive option. 

We are switching to fountain pens for writing.  I bought one for us all to try (I'd never used on myself), but everyone really likes them.  We'll probably just use correction tape or white out for mistakes.  

Edited by Holly

I use fountain pens for my 2nd DS's penmanship. I read the idea here on the forums years ago. The fountain pens help keep them from pressing too hard while writing, plus it is a smoother, easier experience. The inability to erase actually makes DS more careful too. My mom said she used fountain pens for penmanship when she was growing up in an old Chicago Catholic school. A friend from Europe also told me that is what they used as well.

We use the Pilot Varsity pens.

• Like 1

My son uses a Pelikan Twist pen. It works well and helps him remember his grip. It is a fountain pen and they say that there is an eraser for it, but we don't use it. To me penmanship is a process and part of that process is learning from your mistakes. Erasers just cover up mistakes, and in the case of my son, frustrate him further.