Menu

Need science recommendations for 2nd grade dd.....nt

If you're Christian, I would suggest Apologia. Not sure if NOEO is Christian but have heard good things about this too. If you don't want a Christian program, you might try Sonlight. I even have material for this if you're interested!

DD 8 loves Apologia. They suggest notebooking and I still do lots of the writing for her but she does the drawing. Very doable experiments for the most part for her to understand and me to accomplish!

What is your dd's reading level?

Where is her science interest? From a scale to 1-10, 10 being her favorite subject that she cannot get enough of.

Are you looking for:

1. A curriculum that contains everything- reading, experiments, and supplies?

2. Do you want to get the subject done and over or is this a subject you want to enjoy?

3. Do you want something more studious (like with vocabulary words, experiment worksheets) or something that is geared toward enjoyment (like with nature study)?

I love Considering G-d's Creation for early elementary science. Lots of hands-on fun activities, minimal prep for mom, opportunity to dig deeper, written by two gals who were homeschooled missionaries, it's a super little curriculum.

Blessings,

Teresa in NC

If you're using this noeo science...are you purchasing the entire package or just the instructor's guide. It seems you'd need things for the children to read. We purchased the usborne books recommended in wtm, but dd cruised thru the earth book very quickly. We haven't attempted the sky books yet, but I'll need something fairly quickly.

Opinions?

I have a second grader that I am folding right in with everyone else. We are simply using Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy this year. The children also check out books on topics of interest to them. I guess we are pretty *informal* on science until about age 14'ish.

We also enjoy reading living science books such as the CLP Nature Readers, biographies this year will be be on Galileo and Johannes Kepler, etc. My kids also do a science lapbook now and then on their topic of interest.

We just started NOEO Biology 1 this past week after I drooled over it for 2 years. I am happy with my decision to finally do it.

We are very pleased with NOEO also. You can go to their site to get more information (and I may be wrong), but I believe they are Christian but keep their curriculum secular in nature.

Blessings,

Angela

If you're using this noeo science...are you purchasing the entire package or just the instructor's guide. It seems you'd need things for the children to read. We purchased the usborne books recommended in wtm, but dd cruised thru the earth book very quickly. We haven't attempted the sky books yet, but I'll need something fairly quickly.

Opinions?

I purchased the teacher book & the experiments. I checked at our library (which we are blessed with an outstanding library) and any books we couldn't get there, I did go ahead and purchase. However, their selections are great and most should be easy to find at a good library.

Blessings,

Angela

Opinions?

I shelled out the extra money for the whole set. (Except for Chem I, which I found used). I'll be using each level more than once, so it was worth it to me to own everything. I don't have a good library, either so this saves me from tracking everything down.

I have mostly enjoyed all of the experiment kits, though some are better than others.