Menu

Math - Where to go from here (CLE 710 - )

parias1126

We have been using CLE for years (probably 2nd grade). When my DD13 was in LightUnit 610, I debated switching math curriculum then as we got closer to high school math. I made the decision to continue with CLE and complete 7 and 8. Well, we got through 7 a few months ago, moved onto 8, and we hit a major road block for some reason. We were half way through 802 and I took a step back. We jumped back to 708 and she is now with my DS12 and they are working together. My DS12 is speeding through it very quickly and has done two books alongside my DD13. We are in 710 right now and have almost completed it. My DS can continue, sometimes sits around waiting on my older DD, and would most likely have no problem moving on. 

They are 17 months apart is this is causing frustration in our household. My DD13 is so worried that DS12 has caught up to her, and is ready to fly by her all while she isn't understanding the concepts. I honestly don't know where to go from here. 

My DD13 needs to move to a math curriculum where she has more confidence and I think they need to be in separate curriculum so she is not so concerned about my DS's level. I think her being so concerned about the fact that he is able to move past her and it comes extremely easy for him is holding her back from what she is really capable of. Math has been a constant struggle in our house as of late. I finally just put all math aside because I just don't even want to do it. 

I think I need something that pulls them away from one another so there is no competition, as well as something that doesn't have me giving my DD a couple hours of help and guidance in a day. I am homeschooling three children and math is taking a majority of my time. Yes, she is struggling that much! I have been homeschooling for fourteen years and I have never been so burnt out. I would love any and all suggestions! :( 

• Like 1

Did she finish 710 well? I would consider doing the placement tests for Teaching Textbooks and see if she placed into Pre-Algebra or Algebra. He could continue with CLE 800 series, and she could do TT wherever she placed. Even if she placed into TT Pre-Algebra, he might not hit Algebra 1 before her. TT would help her work more independently.

I'm sorry she is frustrated and that math is so frustrating!  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I think my first concern would be exactly what is tripping her up if she was successfully moving through the program for years and years and years but suddenly struggles significantly, and even stepping back to a previous level she is not able to keep up with her younger sibling.  All of this should be review.   I would be seeking the underlying cause of the unexpected struggles.

Was she actually getting more help from you than you realized and the concepts didn't actually internalize or the algorithms never actually fully stuck?   Did she do 801?  If so, were there any sections she struggled with specifically?  Could she be weak on procedure with fractions, decimals, and percents?  Is there any other academic area that she is unexpectedly struggling with?  Could there be an underlying undiagnosed health issue causing focus problems?

Before I hopped to anything else I would be seeking to find out what the real issue is.  And I agree, if this is causing this much heartache definitely switch her to something different from her sibling.  I would still be concerned that even stepping back, after using the same program successfully for years and years, she is struggling.