Menu

What's with the ads?

Slojo

Cincinnati Zoo Incident - What do you think of zoos? Do you go to zoos?

That is a great enclosure if your only goal is to keep the animal in. But, keeping people out has to be addressed.

• Like 2

That is a great enclosure if your only goal is to keep the animal in. But, keeping people out has to be addressed.

I disagree.  I don't think we have to protect from every little thing.  Incidents are rare as it is.  We humans don't need to be put into styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves.

One thing I really like about other countries is how little protection they have from roads to zoos to parks or whatever, and yet, their citizens lives too.

To a large extent, I think we might have overprotected in this country.  We might be losing our common sense.

Not long ago I read an article (probably posted on the Hive) about a school for young kids in Europe that purposely let them explore with dangerous things like knives and fires, etc.  They didn't kill themselves, but they did learn respect for their world.

• Like 8

I disagree.  I don't think we have to protect from every little thing.  Incidents are rare as it is.  We humans don't need to be put into styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves.

One thing I really like about other countries is how little protection they have from roads to zoos to parks or whatever, and yet, their citizens lives too.

To a large extent, I think we might have overprotected in this country.  We might be losing our common sense.

Not long ago I read an article (probably posted on the Hive) about a school for young kids in Europe that purposely let them explore with dangerous things like knives and fires, etc.  They didn't kill themselves, but they did learn respect for their world.

You know, I think a pocket knife and a 15ft drop into a gorilla pen are very different levels of danger. If the worst case is a cut finger, sure, let them figure it out on their own. If the worst case is death, put up a barrier a bit taller than 3 feet. Or at least make it a SOLID 3 feet, not something a kid can wiggle right through. 

I bet lots of bad things happen in those other countries with little protection from roads and zoos, we just don't hear about it. Heck, people still talk about the good old days with no helmets on bikes and no seatbelt in the "way back" of the station wagon and say "I lived". Well yes, but the ones that didn't aren't here to tell their side. 

• Like 3

You know, I think a pocket knife and a 15ft drop into a gorilla pen are very different levels of danger. If the worst case is a cut finger, sure, let them figure it out on their own. If the worst case is death, put up a barrier a bit taller than 3 feet. Or at least make it a SOLID 3 feet, not something a kid can wiggle right through. 

I bet lots of bad things happen in those other countries with little protection from roads and zoos, we just don't hear about it. Heck, people still talk about the good old days with no helmets on bikes and no seatbelt in the "way back" of the station wagon and say "I lived". Well yes, but the ones that didn't aren't here to tell their side. 

Maybe it is, but I don't have any kind of faith in our collective ability to assess that, our sense of risk has become out of proportion and bizarre.  I can't say I would consider the universal requirement of bike helmets to be a good example of how that is not the case.

• Like 2

I have visited zoos and aquariums and thought to myself that it was amazing people didn't get into the exhibits. We have a local aquarium with sharks that is open at the top. Makes me so nervous. Wiggly kid or unstable adult could be in that shark tank easily. We like zoos and always took the little kids but I would hover and get nervous around some exhibits. Always seemed like alot could go wrong but it seemed it never did.

I read an article that gave a long list of incidents where kids ended up in exhibits. I guess it happens more than I realized.

I have too and was always surprised by that.  It wouldn't take much to get into the enclosures.

I once went to a zoo in Germany where they had some sort of monkey and people could walk right through their habitat.  They warned people to be careful of their eyeglasses because they would sometimes try to pull them off people's faces.  That was neat, but different for sure.

• Like 1

I have an only child. When he was 4 we were at the Tulsa zoo. My son was right there with me...maybe 4 feet ahead of me. Before I could blink he had stepped under the fence at elephant exhibit. He was probably six feet from the edge of the moat type area. I almost collapsed from fear. I managed to call his name and he turned immediately and came back to me. I was there recently and they have a better system there now....

So I know kids get away fast. Even obedient ones just don't have the impulse control in that type of situation.

Maybe it is, but I don't have any kind of faith in our collective ability to assess that, our sense of risk has become out of proportion and bizarre. 

This.  We worry about zoo enclosures, but:

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010. (NOPUS)

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/facts-and-statistics.html

Life is deadly from conception on.  It's really weird how humans assess risk though.

I do not care to live in styrofoam to protect from the odd incident here and there.  I NEVER use a cell phone while driving.

• Like 8

This.  We worry about zoo enclosures, but:

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010. (NOPUS)

Life is deadly from conception on.  It's really weird how humans assess risk though.

I do not care to live in styrofoam to protect from the odd incident here and there.  I NEVER use a cell phone while driving.

I agree that people often ignore greater risks and yet flip out over minor risks (like a pocket knife). 

that said, I'm not sure a gorilla has ever in our history been considered a minor risk. I don't want to live in styrofoam, but a solid barrier between me and my family and the gorilla seems like a smart idea. 

• Like 2

Lots of zoos use a solid barrier.  Or a higher fence.  Surely everyone agrees that SOME level of protection between people and gorillas is reasonable, it's just a matter of how much.

• Like 2

Interestingly when you read a little about zoo history, originally they were mostly about showing wealth and prestige and were for the kings and queens etc. when the concept of zoos first started the cages were very solid with an emphasis on safety of the people watching. I wonder if these incidents were rarer before open style enclosures became common.

I also think that although obviously enclosures look a lot better - really how different is it for the animals? Bigger size is definitely better but really whether it's cage bars or a moat they can't cross the outcome for the animal is the same.

Interestingly when you read a little about zoo history, originally they were mostly about showing wealth and prestige and were for the kings and queens etc. when the concept of zoos first started the cages were very solid with an emphasis on safety of the people watching. I wonder if these incidents were rarer before open style enclosures became common.

I also think that although obviously enclosures look a lot better - really how different is it for the animals? Bigger size is definitely better but really whether it's cage bars or a moat they can't cross the outcome for the animal is the same.

I think it's to make US feel better about imprisoning them.  Space, habitat enrichment, hiding places are benefits to the animal. Lack of bars is imo mostly for us. 

• Like 4

I think it's to make US feel better about imprisoning them. Space, habitat enrichment, hiding places are benefits to the animal. Lack of bars is imo mostly for us.

Yes. What makes for easier viewing for people is not so great for animals who want some peace and privacy.

• Like 1

My sense is that whether there are bars are not is pretty indifferent to the animals - it's other aspects of the habitat that are either suitable or unsuitable.  Getting rid of them is more about the viewing, and also the size of the habitat - in the places where it is really quite large fencing might not be the most practical choice.

This. We worry about zoo enclosures, but:

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010. (NOPUS)

Life is deadly from conception on. It's really weird how humans assess risk though.

I do not care to live in styrofoam to protect from the odd incident here and there. I NEVER use a cell phone while driving.

THIS!!!! My son and I were nearly killed by such a driver, and I see people putting others at risk every day while playing on those $&_$@@!##$&?@$&!# phones while driving. The risk of zoo death is bizarrely low, but your risk of significant injury or death by jerk driver on the phone is so much higher and yet the most penalty there is for it is a ticket!

If Americans really understood true risk no one would be worried about the Cinnci zoo, but instead they would advocating jail time for anyone who injures/kills another while playing with their phone and driving what is a potentially lethal weapon. The driver that plowed us should have gone to jail when she got out of the hospital the same as a drunk driver. It is no different, and should not be treated differently.

The zoo incident is simply not any kind of significant public safety issue.

• Like 4

Zoos have a responsibility to protect the animals they keep. If having a different type of enclosure would have protected the Gorilla from the harm caused by a child entering his enclosure, the zoo is probably wishing he had that enclosure. We don't need styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves from every little thing. But from the gorilla's point of view, this was a pretty big thing.

I disagree. I don't think we have to protect from every little thing. Incidents are rare as it is. We humans don't need to be put into styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves.

To a large extent, I think we might have overprotected in this country. We might be losing our common sense.

Not long ago I read an article (probably posted on the Hive) about a school for young kids in Europe that purposely let them explore with dangerous things like knives and fires, etc. They didn't kill themselves, but they did learn respect for their world.