Menu

Cincinnati Zoo Incident - What do you think of zoos? Do you go to zoos?

Slojo

This. We worry about zoo enclosures, but:

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010. (NOPUS)

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/facts-and-statistics.html

Life is deadly from conception on. It's really weird how humans assess risk though.

I do not care to live in styrofoam to protect from the odd incident here and there. I NEVER use a cell phone while driving.

THIS!!!! My son and I were nearly killed by such a driver, and I see people putting others at risk every day while playing on those $&_$@@!##$&?@$&!# phones while driving. The risk of zoo death is bizarrely low, but your risk of significant injury or death by jerk driver on the phone is so much higher and yet the most penalty there is for it is a ticket!

If Americans really understood true risk no one would be worried about the Cinnci zoo, but instead they would advocating jail time for anyone who injures/kills another while playing with their phone and driving what is a potentially lethal weapon. The driver that plowed us should have gone to jail when she got out of the hospital the same as a drunk driver. It is no different, and should not be treated differently.

The zoo incident is simply not any kind of significant public safety issue.

• Like 4

Zoos have a responsibility to protect the animals they keep. If having a different type of enclosure would have protected the Gorilla from the harm caused by a child entering his enclosure, the zoo is probably wishing he had that enclosure. We don't need styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves from every little thing. But from the gorilla's point of view, this was a pretty big thing.

I disagree. I don't think we have to protect from every little thing. Incidents are rare as it is. We humans don't need to be put into styrofoam boxes to protect ourselves.

One thing I really like about other countries is how little protection they have from roads to zoos to parks or whatever, and yet, their citizens lives too.

To a large extent, I think we might have overprotected in this country. We might be losing our common sense.

Not long ago I read an article (probably posted on the Hive) about a school for young kids in Europe that purposely let them explore with dangerous things like knives and fires, etc. They didn't kill themselves, but they did learn respect for their world.