Menu

AOPS Geometry before Algebra B

Another AOPS sequence question. I am trying to arrange the schedule for my DD, and the scheduling conflicts are driving me nuts. Trying to fit in her summer camp, AOPS math, CC, and fencing competitions travel just doesn't work. Switching Geo and Alg B would really help. If my DD is done with Algebra I and can pass the Are you ready test, but not finished Intro to Algebra book, can she risk taking Geometry first? She is my visual-spatial and logical child, if it matters. Of course, it Algebra B is absolutely necessary, I'll have to find a way around it.

Edited by OlgaLA

I don't think that there's any real risk in moving on to Geometry next. She should be OK as long as she's covered through quadratic equations in the Intro algebra text.

Geometry is usually recommended to follow the other intro classes only because most students find it more difficult than Alg B. I've found that visual spatial kids are often the exception to that rule, however, and do just fine with geom!

• Like 2

I can't speak to whether Algebra A is sufficient for Geometry. I just wanted to point out that Algebra B is not equivalent to Algebra II. And it (Alg B) is necessary for Intermediate Algebra (which is more closely aligned to Alg II, though it does go into more depth/breadth). It seemed from your title you were equating the class Intro to Algebra B with standard high school Algebra II.

• Like 1

I noticed I put Algebra II in the title only after I posted. I meant Algebra B. From what I understand, Algebra II overlaps Algebra B and Intermediate Algebra, with both AOPS classes going deeper and wider.

Kathy, thank  you! I suspected that Geometry doesn't really require more than quadratics, but wanted it confirmed. I think I'll register her now, while there is still space in the class that works for us. If she hits something she doesn't know, we'll just deal with it.

Ds did this. He is super visual spacial. I was initially concerned, but he did fine. We did not do the classes; just the books. I will say there were a few times that I had to intervene and explain a quadratic situation. There were only a few where the elegant answer was more apparent if you had done the later part of Intro to Alg and just had more experience under your belt.

None of it was impossible or even that big of a deal. More just a side conversation here and there.

• Like 1