Menu

C-rods

Mathematics Made Meaningful, it is at Rainbow Resource.

I *loved* Mathematics Made Meaningful.

Several friends raved about C-rods, and I borrowed a set from a friend to mess around with, but I just couldn't get into it. Eventually I decided I really wanted to understand, so I found Mathematics Made Meaningful, and started with the first task card, which has the children dump the rods in a pile and sort them by color, then mess them up and sort them by size. Hey! They're the same piles! After about the fourth or fifth task card, I was in love with C-rods. :-)

• Like 1

Is MMM a complete curriculum or is it easy to simply use it for the c-Rod activities?

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

It could be a complete curriculum for 6- to 8yo little persons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why not Miquon?  It's the best imho.

This is an excellent teacher's resource book.

I also like Everything's Coming Up Fractions and From Here to There with the Cuisenaire Rods.

I didn't find Gattegno until it was almost too late for my big kids, but I like the looks of them. I think Gattegno would be more easily understood by most AFTER grappling with Miquon. The discovery style is key.

• Like 2

Giving away the discovery style of Miquon would be a huge loss IMO.

Bill

Suppose Orange is One...

Those four words are powerful.

Let the rods do their work.  Lore Rasmussen, author of Miquon, was a wise woman. Read the First Grade Diary and the Teacher's Notes before rejecting Miquon.

• Like 2

Suppose Orange is One...

Those four words are powerful.

Let the rods do their work.  Lore Rasmussen, author of Miquon, was a wise woman. Read the First Grade Diary and the Teacher's Notes before rejecting Miquon.

The difference between creating an opportunity (and providing the tools) for a child to reason out mathematical concepts using their own powers of perception can not be underestimated. It is very different that "showing" a child something is so.

The gift that Miquon provided my son was in making him the active thinker in the problem-solving exercises. That made learning fun, and built a sense of autonomy and competence that was very different than having his dad "demonstrate" for him. Lighting the fires of creative problem-solving was the critical thing that Miquon help achieve. Thank you Lore Rasmussen!

Bill

• Like 1

Why not Miquon?  It's the best imho.

This is an excellent teacher's resource book.

I also like Everything's Coming Up Fractions and From Here to There with the Cuisenaire Rods.

I didn't find Gattegno until it was almost too late for my big kids, but I like the looks of them. I think Gattegno would be more easily understood by most AFTER grappling with Miquon. The discovery style is key.

not everyone can wrap their brain around miquon. it was a huge bust here. i read all the books and tried to work through the lessons myself. i gave them to my kids and they just stared at me. they love playing with the rods and i have one that has done exclusively rods up until this point using c rod books. and done really well. i WANT to love miquon. i WANT to understand it. i WANT to use it for my middle child, but, alas, miquon is not for us. i am looking at the gattegno books to see if that would be a better fit.