Menu

Do you experience frisson (aesthetic chills)? A poll!

MercyA

Do You Experience Frisson?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you experience frisson?

• Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never
  2. 2. When? (You may choose multiple answers.)

• When listening to vocal music.
    • When listening to instrumental music.
    • When watching a movie or play.
    • When viewing works of art.
    • When viewing nature or other forms of natural beauty.
    • Other.

I get it pretty often. Music is a big trigger, but I will sometimes experience it if I have been working on an action-packed sequence in a story. Art triggers it more rarely for me.

ETA: I tried some of the music pieces listed in the articles. Yep. Goosebumps all over.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

I don't think I get this. I have been brought to tears through listening to music, or witnessing some form of natural beauty. It doesn't give me chills, though. But I did witness this happening recently to a friend who was telling me about her vacation and her memories were so joy-producing, she said it was giving her chills and she rubbed her skin, so it sounds like it was frisson.

• Like 2

Yes. I also get nausea and seizure-like episodes from certain pieces of music, but that's probably quite rare.

It probably goes without saying, but I liked your post because I appreciate your contribution to the discussion, not because you experience nausea and seizure-like symptoms. Yikes! If you don't mind sharing, does it tend to be certain genres of music, certain beats, or specific instruments? I hope you're able to avoid music that triggers your symptoms. I've heard of people having seizure-like symptoms in response to strobe lights, but I didn't know music could have the same effect. So interesting.

I get the feeling sometimes, with music, art, or nature.  Basically anything that is exceptionally perfectly surprisingly beautiful.  :)

Yes, me too. Also in reading a moving passage, like poetry or the bible.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

I very rarely feel the sensation you describe, though I tear up all.the.time during various musical/aesthetic performances, especially if they involve children or youth. And even more especially if they involve my children. 😊

I did experience frisson one time that I remember (my memory is not good) because it is so rare for me. It was during this performance by Nathen Pachenko singing Nessun Dorma live in the LDS conference. I remember being completely blown away and having chills. But the YouTube video doesn't quite recreate the experience for me, unfortunately. I'm sure the situation and environment play into this as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-kAhzqwSo

There are a few pieces of my favorite instrumental music that will usually bring on this feeling.  It doesn't matter that I've played them a million times.

If I see a clip of horses or other animals running/flying/swimming, sometimes it will overwhelm me with emotion and cause chills/goosebumps.  I count this as "viewing nature" and not "viewing a film".

When a thunderstorm is close and the wind suddenly picks up, this *always* causes a delicious reaction!  I have always loved being outside when severe weather rolls in.  When I was a kid I would stand on the railing of our porch deck to be as close to the storm as possible -- dangerous, I know... but it was such a thrill...

• Like 1

On another thread someone posted a link to a song called Fancy.  When it got to the line, "I may have been born just poor white trash, but Fancy was my name" I got chills in my arms. 

I also get them from powerful passages in a book, but mostly when I read them aloud to the boys.  It doesn't happen as much reading in my head.

I get this sometimes, in response to all of the categories listed in the poll, and also in response to a moving/impactful/insightful sermon, quote, book passage, conversation, or personal realization in a discussion. I would say vocal music is the most frequent trigger for me.

• Like 1

I came across this article on Slate: Why Does Great Music Give You the Chills? According to the article, between 55 and 86% of the population experiences frisson, or aesthetic chills, from great music, beautiful artwork, or moving drama. I've curious how many of us on the forum experience these chills and when.

Yes, but usually only when I sing in a choir.

I frisson a lot in music. Some in visual art, some in nature. Often in Divine Liturgy...which overlaps with music because 90% of DL is musical.

I have been binge frisson in setting up my Spotify playlists tonight.

Clapton. Handel. DL. John Denver. Mark Knopfler. Shostakovich. Debussy. I'm a catholic frissoner. But it seems to be particularly aural.

For me  nature is nearly always either 1. birdsong or 2 a certain slant of light. 

So weird. I wonder why it's adaptive to be moved to chills by birds tweeting. 

I never get it.

Usually I can think of a plausible evolutionary reason for almost any human behavior or physiological process, but I am at a loss for this one.  

• Like 1

It probably goes without saying, but I liked your post because I appreciate your contribution to the discussion, not because you experience nausea and seizure-like symptoms. Yikes! If you don't mind sharing, does it tend to be certain genres of music, certain beats, or specific instruments? I hope you're able to avoid music that triggers your symptoms. I've heard of people having seizure-like symptoms in response to strobe lights, but I didn't know music could have the same effect. So interesting.

It's called musicogenic epilepsy. There's a couple articles about it, but I was having absence seizures, not the full blown gran mal type. Generally happens (but not always) with a song I've listened to a lot and enjoyed and associated with some memory, then don't hear it for a long time. When I hear it again, I get dizzy and nauseous and experience the aura and deja vu feeling, followed by puking and headache.

I haven't had any episodes since I was medicated briefly for it in college, but it made being a music major very difficult! I can generally tell when a song might be a problem and turn it off.

I really love the Smashing Pumpkins, but "Tonight, Tonight" is still a problem and I can't listen to it.

• Like 3

Mine is always emotion related.  I call it "getting goosebumps".  It happens when a friend tells a particularly moving experience, when I see someone helpless rescued from grave danger on the news, sometimes in church services, and during very moving performances, even at graduations, when they play Pomp and Circumstance. Or during the recessional at a wedding.

• Like 3

The fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony does this to me every time!  But then I think everyone gets this response to it, right?   I sometimes get the feeling from bits of other music, too, classical or pop, doesn't matter.

A decent scalp massage can do this, too.  Almost like my scalp and spine are having a , well, orgasm!

The fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony does this to me every time!  But then I think everyone gets this response to it, right?   I sometimes get the feeling from bits of other music, too, classical or pop, doesn't matter.

A decent scalp massage can do this, too.  Almost like my scalp and spine are having a , well, orgasm!

The Hallelujah Chorus.  Every single time....especially the pause before the final Hallelujah.  Major, major frisson.

• Like 2

I very rarely feel the sensation you describe, though I tear up all.the.time during various musical/aesthetic performances, especially if they involve children or youth. And even more especially if they involve my children. 😊

I did experience frisson one time that I remember (my memory is not good) because it is so rare for me. It was during this performance by Nathen Pachenko singing Nessun Dorma live in the LDS conference. I remember being completely blown away and having chills. But the YouTube video doesn't quite recreate the experience for me, unfortunately. I'm sure the situation and environment play into this as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-kAhzqwSo

I watched the video.  At 2:23, wow.  Definitely feeling it.   :wub:

• Like 1

There is a song "Time to say goodbye" performed by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman that is like this. I just listened to check, and yes.

Wake me up by Evanesence was like this. It used to be played a lot probably 10 years ago now. Every time.

It is kind-of an intense experience. One song at a time is enough. I am sure Handel's Messiah will be the same, but I wouldn't listen right now. Still kind-of recovering from "time to say good-bye."

• Like 1

Rarely, when listening to music. It does have something to do with your skin, but it's more like "my heart turned over." Most of the pieces, now that I think about it, are either soprano parts or violin parts, I wonder if that is common? Canon in D (at the point where the violins get incredibly happy) and Hayley Westenra's live version of Amazing Grace come to mind.

I can think of some writing that has  done that... but it's pretty rare. Pied Beauty maybe? 

Edit: Also the beginning part of Middlemarch... "Out they toddled from rugged Avila..."

Edited by tm919

I think there was a thread a couple of months ago about touch doing this--it was about everything from massage to ear cleaning!

I experience what you are talking about as well as frisson from multiple things.

Sometimes the hair on the back of my neck (or even all over my scalp) feels like it's standing up as well. It can be pleasant, disconcerting, or terribly freaky depending on the circumstance.

I frisson a lot in music. Some in visual art, some in nature. Often in Divine Liturgy...which overlaps with music because 90% of DL is musical.

I have been binge frisson in setting up my Spotify playlists tonight.

Clapton. Handel. DL. John Denver. Mark Knopfler. Shostakovich. Debussy. I'm a catholic frissoner. But it seems to be particularly aural.

Aye Calypso? :-) All the sounds in that song cause some serious frisson.

This happens to me frequently in church, while listening to live music, and while reading. Beautiful writing, especially poetry can give me chills. I also experience this when listening to a well written speech or homily.

Yes, I was thinking that writing does it for me too. I tend to love a particular author's writing. I think it does for dh too - we both sighed over Lovecraft's writing (I know - weird). Scripture definitely - I strongly prefer certain translations.

And Chopin.

And frequently the night sky.

And some art but generally only in a gallery...

I also think that it can be dulled after overexposure, learning to play Chopin's raindrop makes it happen less - like all the mystery is lost in over analysis.

• Like 2

There is a song "Time to say goodbye" performed by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman that is like this. I just listened to check, and yes.

Wake me up by Evanesence was like this. It used to be played a lot probably 10 years ago now. Every time.

It is kind-of an intense experience. One song at a time is enough. I am sure Handel's Messiah will be the same, but I wouldn't listen right now. Still kind-of recovering from "time to say good-bye."

I have always experienced frisson, although I had no idea there was a name for it. I mainly experience when listening to music. When I first read the OP, the first song that came to mind was Time to Say Goodbye, or Con te Partido. One of my most favorites.

I remember as a young person being so surprised that music could have such an affect on me. I listened to this song over and over. I'd lie on my floor with a speaker on either side of my head and get chills every single time I played it.

Of course, it's hard to listen to it and not think of watching a movie. Ha.

I also experience the same sensation when I share a personal story that has great meaning, or when hearing something similar from a friend.

Has anyone else ever experienced any pain with the frisson? Nothing really painful... it's hard to describe, but it's just like my skin is so sensitive.

Usually it's the spoken word for me.  It doesn't happen very often, but it did today, so I came back to post:

ETA: Um, I just put a link...is it OK that the picture showed up on its own?

Edited by Joules

A college art professor described her experience with Stendahl Syndrome - fainting from art. She had been studying a sculpture for a year and finally went to Rome to see it in person (don't remember which one, unfortunately). It was housed at the top of a broad but tall marble staircase. When she got to the top and saw it in real life, she was so overcome that she started crying, then her heartbeat became strange and she finally fainted. She rolled down many of the stairs and suffered a broken arm. Now, I'm regularly brought to tears by music and writing, rarely by art, and I've never fainted from it.

• Like 1