Menu

How to add work/study to transcript

I'm not even sure if that is the correct term. My son has been working/apprenticing in an instrument repair shop all year at about 10-15 hrs a week. He will work more like full time all summer and go back to 10-15 hours next school year. It is the perfect job for him but they need him during the day so it has cut into school a bit. He is still doing the bare minimum to get HS done but will probably end up making this a career so we are supporting and encouraging it.

I would like to put it on his transcript but I'm not sure what to call it, how many credits and how to assign a grade. Thanks!

Edited by busymama7

I would call it something other than work/study so that that is no confusion with the federal and state financial aid programs of the same name. Maybe call it something like 'Apprenticeship - Instrument Repair'.  I would also put this under extra-curriculars unless your state regularly offers high school credit for this kind of activity.

• Like 2

Well I was thinking it was along the lines of the tech schools which we do have lots of. We were really hoping for credit since it's taking a lot of school time. He will probably have enough electives with all the performing groups he is in though.

My son works a few hours a week in our business, which makes home insulation products. I will be putting it in his transcript as 'Manufacturing Trades.' Our high school has a vocational center where students can take classes in various similar occupations and they get high school credit for it so I didn't see why my son couldn't either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The vo-tech by me calls it work based learning, so you could do: 

Work Based Learning: Instrument Repair 

or simply Instrument Repair, sometimes simpler is better and putting too much info might get them to ask questions. 

If they use specific manuals and such at work, have him get the title for his transcript. I would also have him keep a record as he goes of specific skills he is learning (probably won't be needed, but can't hurt, and good for future resumes). 

120-180 hours is a credit; I'd probably go somewhere in the middle - but if gets to 240+ hours, I would definitely award credit for Instrument Repair 1 & 2. As they are paying him, he isn't likely to have many 'dead' hours while working, just like homeschooled students don't get to hide in the back of the class, lol. 

It sounds like a great opportunity! 

• Like 3

As far as grades go, I would assume that he is doing quite well if they want to keep him on as an apprentice. If they continue to be happy with him and teach him new skills, I would just require a solid work ethic and good attitude to earn an A. In other words, they're happy with him, he doesn't call in sick or go in late, and so on. 

If he gets a raise at any point, that's a DEFINITE 'A,' lol. 

• Like 2

As far as grades go, I would assume that he is doing quite well if they want to keep him on as an apprentice. If they continue to be happy with him and teach him new skills, I would just require a solid work ethic and good attitude to earn an A. In other words, they're happy with him, he doesn't call in sick or go in late, and so on.

If he gets a raise at any point, that's a DEFINITE 'A,' lol.

So funny thing is, they were hesitant to bring him on. He was only 15 and they had never had a teenage apprentice work out. But he really really wanted it and presented a good case ;). They also told us that it takes them a year to turn a profit on a new employee in the shop. We were just hoping they would give him a chance to work hard and learn.

He got a raise within 2 months and was told this past Saturday that a flute he did was nearly perfect and just about earned him another raise 🎉🎉.

So whether I put it on his transcript or not (probably will) it is working out so perfectly that we know this is the best place for him. He has dyslexia and we worked really hard for a good strong foundation in the core subjects when younger. I do worry that his high school is on the light side but I know this is where he needs to be.

• Like 3

I would definitely put it on the transcript. I'd list it as Apprenticeship: Musical Instrument Repair 1 (assuming he will have 2 on his transcript for next year) and give a full credit, since he will be well over the minimum 120 hours. I'd write up a good course description in "academic speak" and give him an A based on his raise and the feedback from his mentor/boss.

I would not worry at all about his transcript. I think it's amazing — and a sign of your son's aptitude, skills, and perseverance — that he is already in (paid!) training for a career that he enjoys and seems to be very good at.

Is he also a musician, or interested in music, or does he just like the idea of building things? If he's into music, and not so into school, you could do a lot to build his courses around music next year.

• Like 1

I would definitely put it on the transcript. I'd list it as Apprenticeship: Musical Instrument Repair 1 (assuming he will have 2 on his transcript for next year) and give a full credit, since he will be well over the minimum 120 hours. I'd write up a good course description in "academic speak" and give him an A based on his raise and the feedback from his mentor/boss.

I would not worry at all about his transcript. I think it's amazing — and a sign of your son's aptitude, skills, and perseverance — that he is already in (paid!) training for a career that he enjoys and seems to be very good at.

Is he also a musician, or interested in music, or does he just like the idea of building things? If he's into music, and not so into school, you could do a lot to build his courses around music next year.

Yes he is a musician. Piano and oboe and also composes. He is tentatively planning to double major in piano and oboe in college but might end up choosing one. He wants to add CC classes this coming year (11th grade) but we are still on a wait list for a neuropsychologist so we can have an official diagnosis. We are still figuring out what to do there as he isn't an advanced student although he works really really hard. We might do something like Spanish at the CC since that is so hard to do at home and to get his feet wet.

So funny thing is, they were hesitant to bring him on. He was only 15 and they had never had a teenage apprentice work out. But he really really wanted it and presented a good case ;). They also told us that it takes them a year to turn a profit on a new employee in the shop. We were just hoping they would give him a chance to work hard and learn.

He got a raise within 2 months and was told this past Saturday that a flute he did was nearly perfect and just about earned him another raise 🎉🎉.

So whether I put it on his transcript or not (probably will) it is working out so perfectly that we know this is the best place for him. He has dyslexia and we worked really hard for a good strong foundation in the core subjects when younger. I do worry that his high school is on the light side but I know this is where he needs to be.

Well, then, I wouldn't worry in the least about grades! Sounds like he is an A player all around. 

Yes he is a musician. Piano and oboe and also composes. He is tentatively planning to double major in piano and oboe in college but might end up choosing one. He wants to add CC classes this coming year (11th grade) but we are still on a wait list for a neuropsychologist so we can have an official diagnosis. We are still figuring out what to do there as he isn't an advanced student although he works really really hard. We might do something like Spanish at the CC since that is so hard to do at home and to get his feet wet.

Does he have any experience with Spanish?  If it's a full Spanish 1 course, done in one semester, I would hesitate to make that his first CC course, especially before receiving a formal dyslexia diagnosis.  If Spanish 1 is taught over the course of a full year, like a high school course, that would be better.  He may very well need accommodations for it, though, and he'd need a formal diagnosis to get them. 

Does he have any experience with Spanish? If it's a full Spanish 1 course, done in one semester, I would hesitate to make that his first CC course, especially before receiving a formal dyslexia diagnosis. If Spanish 1 is taught over the course of a full year, like a high school course, that would be better. He may very well need accommodations for it, though, and he'd need a formal diagnosis to get them.

He has completed one semester worth of Rosetta Stone Spanish while in an online school. And he has continued informally on his own. But yeah not much. And I am worried about the pace of CC classes especially as he struggles a bit. He got straight As with no issues in the online school in 9th grade but I felt the school was too easy and lots of just "playing the game".

He wants to do CC so badly especially because he wants to double major. He wants to get some classes out of the way. Both older siblings have done this route and done well but I just hesitate with him. My husband says maybe I'm short sighted as they have help at the CC that he could access. But I'm not sure how much without a diagnosis. I'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner :(

Edited by busymama7

I know someone who was evaluated by an Orton Gillingham provider, and that was enough for the CC.  The CC approved extra test time and a note-taker.  If you are reasonably sure that's the issue, it might be worth asking the CC if that type of evaluation will meet their requirements.  It may be faster than getting in with neuropsych.  The transfer college may have different policies, though, so it would be worth checking into that, as well.