Menu

Grammar/Writing help

tdbonney

I have a 12 year old son who has struggled with both grammar and writing. We've used multiple different programs with limited success as well as Cover Story. Nothing seems to stick or grab his interest. I've been considering using an online service to help get him where he needs to be as well as take the stress off of me.

I've been looking at two online programs, Time4Writing and Writing A-Z, but was wondering if anyone had experience with these programs or any other programs they've had success with.

I need something he can do online independently that will get him up to level. I just don't want to waste anymore money on something that doesn't work. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have a 12 year old son who has struggled with both grammar and writing. We've used multiple different programs with limited success as well as Cover Story. Nothing seems to stick or grab his interest. I've been considering using an online service to help get him where he needs to be as well as take the stress off of me.

I've been looking at two online programs, Time4Writing and Writing A-Z, but was wondering if anyone had experience with these programs or any other programs they've had success with.

I need something he can do online independently that will get him up to level. I just don't want to waste anymore money on something that doesn't work. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the programs that you mentioned, but I'll share what we've done, in case it is of any use. Nor do I know any online programs ...

We have faced a struggle getting my daughter engaged with a few subjects, composition being one of them, math being another. Writing was an easier one for us to tackle, math was a monster. Even though we are 2-3 years "behind" in math, my main goal this year was to make friends with math. I decided that we could catch up later, but that without her being engaged, we were going to continue getting nowhere. So, now we are another year behind, but she doesn't hate math anymore and we can move on instead of wasting so much time because she wasn't engaged. Totally changing the approach might work better than trying yet another program (?). It may be worth spending time on tackling the resistance rather than trying to get through the work itself. 

My daughter loves history and I found a lovely history of math/living math program that helped an awful lot. Is there a subject your son likes that you could tie in somehow? Maybe he would enjoy technical writing if he is into science, for example, or something like what this guy does https://freelancetowin.com/ He is a freelance writer, and has tips on how to write to sell, for advertising purposes, for example. It doesn't teach you to write, per say, but it might be a hook that pulls your son in. If you can find something that interests him, that will help him to enjoy the subject, it is probably worth the time spent on a diversion. In the end, if it got him interested, it would probably better enable him to buckle down later and learn whatever skills he needed to pick up on.

My daughter absolutely hated writing too and has now come to a point where she can enjoy it. How does your son feel about the physical act of writing? Is it more about actually putting a pen to paper or about actually composing something? Does typing make any difference? My daughter absolutely hates the physical act of writing (does marginally better with typing), but is happy to dictate. That has left me as her scribe, which is hardly ideal, but it does take some pressure off of her. She has composed some wonderful material this way and doesn't mind dictating one bit. Physically writing, itself, is still kind of a fight, but I figured that the goal of composition is composing, and that can be done orally just as well as by physically writing. He could also record himself, because really, the point of it at this stage would be to compose something rather than to work on the mechanics of writing. If you found some good voice recognition software, the computer could then transcribe it for him.

We started out with the lower levels of Writing Strands, which, honestly, I didn't feel taught her anything at all, but it did help her to learn to not hate writing. We then moved on to CAP Writing and Rhetoric, which she has actually enjoyed. 

I just came across a book by Karen Andreola called Story Starters. I haven't used it, but thought it might be interesting. It has pictures and short paragraphs to start stories that have, apparently, done a great job of grabbing some people's interest and getting them writing. It's good up to high school.

If you chose the same approach of making friends with grammar, there are a few resources that might help to do the trick. They are not full grammar programs, but might help get his attention. Language Mechanic, by Critical Thinking Press (as well as the smaller workbooks that delve further into the concepts, if more practice is needed) takes a fun approach to grammar too. It has a lot of silly and amusing sentences. It is a full program, but might be below the level your son needs, depending on where he is at.

There is an old story called Grammarland (from the 1800s, I think) that we read through. It is in the public domain and can be found here: http://www.letticebell.com/GrammarLand.pdf  It is also available as an audio book here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M3mGI4nhvs  In the story, there are some grammar activities you can do too, but we skipped those. This website sells some very accessible grammar materials: http://www.grammarics.com/ They are not all you would want for teaching grammar, but they are quite fun and silly. The book Eats, Shoots and Leaves is another clever approach to grammar -- there is also a kids' picture book version that he might like even though it is for younger kids (I, as an adult, found it quite amusing). Though intended for younger children, a twelve year old might still like Brian Cleary's grammar books. They don't delve into in depth grammar, but for "friend making" purposes, they might be worth looking at. Ruth Heller has some slightly more complex books in the same genre. The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier by Bonnie Trenga is a book that could be useful as well (I haven't seen this one, but it is on my list of books to check out). Same with I Laid an Egg on Aunt Ruth’s Head: Conquering English and Its Ruthless Ways. The latter book is intended for teens who already have the basics of grammar, but could use some polishing. I doubt it would be over his head though.

Good luck. I know how hard it can be when your child just doesn't engage with a subject and you have to do it anyway.

I just came across a book by Karen Andreola called Story Starters. I haven't used it, but thought it might be interesting.

Unfortunately struggling student and independent courses just don't go together well. Sounds like it's time to outsource to a different teacher? Some online class options for that age are Well Trained Mind and Brave Writer.

Unfortunately I also have a daughter currently in Hospice, and since he didn't want to go to public school, at the moment he had no choice but to work independently. This was why I was looking for something online where he could receive help since I'm unable to help him at the current home b

Gosh that's rough.  :crying: The two I mentioned would have teachers on the other end so he wouldn't have to be self-taught. I don't know anything about the ones you mentioned. http://www.wtmacademy.com/ http://www.bravewriter.com/online-classes 

Something like Junior Analytical Grammar could be more independent if you get the optional DVDs.

I definitely would not stress about this being the year he's all the way caught up. One beauty of homeschooling is it can roll and bend with life's turns. We've had more Grandma care than normal this year and it's really messed up some homeschool plans. They're just plans though, and the life lessons they're getting can't be learned from a book. Be gentle with yourself. :grouphug: