Menu

Frivolous Peanut Butter Poll (non-allergy related)

poppy

PB Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. How often to the adults in your house have peanut butter AT HOME?

• Several times a week
    • A couple times a month
    • A couple times a year
    • Very, very rarely because I'm not 6 years old
    • We don't because we don't want to (no allergy reason)
    • Never due to a peanut allergy or other health reason

I just had a PB&J for breakfast. I think I eat more peanut butter now than I did as a kid. Easy quick satisfying delicious. My husband has it quite often too.. if he's going to the gym, he'll have peanut butter on a banana instead of a meal.

Neither of our kids eat PB, but due to the adults in the house, we go through many jars in a year.

Are we weird ? 

Due to allergies we almost never have bread in the house, so we never have peanut butter on toast or sandwiches.  We do eat it quite a bit, but it is almost always an ingredient...in oatmeal, in muffins, in a sauce.

Wendy

We eat peanut butter all the time here, everyone in the family. Sandwiches, peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, on apples or bananas, on pancakes, all the time. Finding a good local peanut butter source or good peanuts to make our own peanut butter is one of the first things I do when we move to a new place. 

• Like 1

My dh is the only one in the house who likes peanut butter.  He does eat pb & j multiple times per week.

When I feel motivated I make him peanut butter and jelly cups.  Delish with my homemade peanut butter.

Funny side note.  Once a year or so I will get a craving for peanut butter.  I will eat a teaspoonful and after eating it wil say to myself  "Yeah, still don't like it."

Edited by kewb
  • Like 2

I eat peanut butter now and then, probably my vote would really fall somewhere in between "couple times a month" and "couple times a year."  I don't eat sandwiches much, but peanut butter on graham crackers, mmmm mmmm mmmm.   PB on apples is good too.

In a desperate situation, a spoonful of PB sprinkled with chocolate chips makes a nice tranquilizer.

• Like 2

I have weird eating habits, so if I'm alone I rarely fix anything to eat, but I have been known to enjoy leftover pbj that my kids bring home from school.  (They generally get pbj in their packed lunch.)  I like it.

PB&J on a whole wheat English muffin is a hearty breakfast that will keep me going all morning.  A single-serve tub of peanut butter with a sliced honeycrisp apple is my go-to take-along lunch.  Recently, I've been stirring peanut powder into the yogurt I eat with fruit - all the flavor and protein with none of the fat.

A couple times a month here. We go through pb so slowly we've had to throw jars away because they've gotten stale--not quite rancid but not fresh-tasting either.

I'm slightly pb averse--I've never actually *loved* pb--due to eating pbj sandwiches for breakfast most days during my teens--it was the most practical option I had. But they usually gave me a stomachache.

We have 4 adults in the house--dh, 2 sons, me--and none of us loves pb enough to eat it more than about once a month. FWIW 11yo dd is also not a pb fan.

Dd20 loves peanut butter, so we usually have a jar or 2 around. Dh and I aren't interested, and dd16 loathes it.

I *do* like almond butter, and will occasionally eat that.  And dh goes through phases of enjoying other similar things like sunflower butter or walnut butter.

I'm not a huge PB eater.  I don't dislike it at all, there are just a lot of other things I like more.  DS17 has PB toast for breakfast several times a week and a PB sandwich for lunch every day that he's home for lunch.  DS20 doesn't eat it much at home but goes through a jar every week or two in his dorm room.

We go through a large jar about every 6 weeks or so, but I also cook with it sometimes.

Dh eats PBJ in his lunchbox, when we are out of meat for sandwiches.

DS21 eats them when I don't have anything thing else in the house to eat that is quick for lunch (like left overs)

I eat them when I come home for lunch from work, to do something at the house, but don't really have time to eat because of the amount of time it takes me to drive home. 

PBJ is a quick 'gotta take something with me, just in case someone gets hungry' type snack.  They get thrown away sometimes, but most often they are eaten.

We all eat PB here, multiple times a week.  Less PB & J than PB on crackers or toast, or in oatmeal, though.  DH or the kids will pack PB & J in a lunch, no problem, but I only eat them occasionally for snacks.  For some reason I have firmly categorized PB & J as a snack food in my head, not a meal food.

This topic reminded me of a family story that gets repeated often.  Right up until her move to a nursing home at the age of 92, my dh's grandmother would always be found in the kitchen at about 5:00 p.m. getting a spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar and enjoying it as her pre-supper snack.  I guess she did this all of her adult years.

I've found myself doing the same thing if I feel in need of a little snack in the middle of the afternoon or morning and encourage my kids to do the same :)

• Like 1

I would say several times a year, maybe 5-10ish for the adults. Same for my son but DN and especially DD go through the jars fairly quickly.  When DD was young she ate PB at least 2X per day.  It's probably what kept her alive (kid did not want to eat). Now as a vegetarian who won't eat beans and is only so-so about soy it is her main source of protein. 

If I could eat only one thing from now until the end of time, Justin's Peanut Butter Cups would be on the list of contenders. (They might not make the final cut if, for example, it turns out that I need to eat something nutritionally complete. But still.)

• Like 1

I tend to buy a loaf of whole wheat raisin bread, and then eat it almost every day with PB until it's done.  Then I don't eat any PB until the next time I'm at the store and decide to go for some more raisin bread, which might be 2 days later or might be months.  So, it probably averages out to a few times a month.

But I don't usually eat it at home.  It's such as an easy food to throw in the backpack for a daytrip or for work, that that's usually how I get my PB fix.

For almost 9 years we couldn't have it in the house due to DS's allergy.  When he passed his peanut challenge a couple months ago we could finally have it again and I went a bit overboard.  I would say I have it once a day on average, though I have slowed down in the last week or so.  DH doesn't eat it very often though he does like peanut butter cups and such.  My older two are glad to have pb back in the house. My youngest who used to be severely allergic hates it and all things peanut so he won't touch the stuff.

• Like 1

Husband can't eat it much any more - the high oil content messes with his throat.  Calvin, Mum and I don't care for it.  Hobbes might eat it a few times a month (a standard breakfast that I make him is a smoothy and wholegrain toast with peanut butter.

Now I do love Marmite.....

• Like 1

We are on a budget. We blow through a lot of PB. I stock up when it is on sale.

PB and apples are my favorite. My husband will eat in on anything, more or less. The boys love ants on a log and PBJ and PB on waffles. Peanut sauce on noodles is also an easy way to break up the monotony of eating a lot of pasta.

Nobody in our house eats peanut butter on a  regular basis

It is a food that did not exist where I was growing up; I did not encounter it until I moved to this country as an adult. Consequently, I have no childhood associations with pb&j (shudder) or pb&apple slices.

DD used to eat some, and we sometimes had a jar for her and I had a spoonful or two. She is away at college, so no pb in the house.

I like almond butter and try to eat some occasionally.

Edited by regentrude

Peanut butter seems like a necessary evil. After hearing about moldy peanuts I have not been quite so inclined to have pb. 

I do prefer other nut butters, but that's a different topic. 

When some of my kids were under 12, several of them would eat peanut butter every day because they refused leftovers.

My answer was several times a month. 

I do love homemade peanut butter cookies.

Peanut butter seems like a necessary evil. After hearing about moldy peanuts I have not been quite so inclined to have pb. 

I do prefer other nut butters, but that's a different topic. 

When some of my kids were under 12, several of them would eat peanut butter every day because they refused leftovers.

My answer was several times a month. 

I do love homemade peanut butter cookies.