Menu

Areteem physics online

Is anybody familiar with Areteem Institute offerings? They have a ton of online classes, but seem to focus more on math and physics. Their physics descriptions don't indicate if those are calculus based classes or not, or general prerequisites. I looked for reviews here but couldn't find any.

Hi, this is John from Areteem Institute. One of our current families told us about this thread, so I wanted to stop in and answer your questions.Our classes do tend to focus on STEM subjects (Math, Physics, Computer Science) and are offered either online or through camp programs.

I suspect you already found our course descriptions for the physics classes (at http://areteem.org/course-descriptions#INTROPHYS).The two main classes are "Physics Fundamentals" and "Physics Challenge II".

Physics Fundamentals is recommended for students who have not taken a physics class before, and is taught at a level similar to a high school physics class. This class does not use calculus.

The Physics Challenge II class is more advanced, and assumes familiarity with the basic concepts in physics. It focuses on preparing students for the AP Physics C exam as well as physics competitions such as the F=ma exam. This course does use some calculus.

Courses are taught by Dr. Darin Ragozzine, an experienced teacher who is a professor at the Florida Institute of Technology.

If you have any other questions let me know. Otherwise feel free to email us at info@areteem.org.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Anybody who has taken physics fundamentals course? 

Would this be honors physics? Is the live component all lecture as the video sample implies? seems like zero interaction with students on that sample. How many kids in the class? Aggggg, I can't find any reviews from users at all. 

I want an algebra based course but challenging one. I am looking for aops of physics (in terms of challenge). Sigh. Anybody?????

This is a new one for me, so yeah, I'd be curious too - like, it's not calc based, but is it algebra based? Are there labs? If so, are they "virtual" or do you need to buy a kit or get your own supplies? What do the lessons look like? And the homework? At more than $800 for the course, that's not a steal, but I'm trying to make sure we explore all our options for physics next year before I commit...

Roadrunner, 

This looks interesting to me as well. Where did you see a sample course video? I tried looking for it. I saw the first two lectures were available if you paid first. I'm wondering if the classes are pre-recorded and you just watch them at a specific time? Also trying to figure out if they do tests/graded homework. I guess I will email the instructor. 

On 4/9/2018 at 8:47 AM, Roadrunner said:

I don’t think there are labs, but we aren’t looking for labs at this point. I believe they recommend algebra 2 at least for this course.

The rest isn’t clean and the cost is just under $1,500 depending on how you pay for things. 

For a single course? That's on the very high end versus courses in the pinned thread.

What extra do you get for your money?

I see that was for two courses.

If it requires post Algebra II, then it's not right for us, but I'm not sure where the $1500 figure comes from. This page:

https://areteem.org/courses/self-paced-courses-schedule

has $810 down as the price for all three semesters for the fundamentals course and $945 down for the all year price for the physics II course. And at the banner on top of one of the pages, there was a 20% discount code. So unless there's some big additional fees, I'm not sure where the price comes from. Unless that's a lab fee? I'm not sure what it not being "clean" means either. I'm pretty sure this isn't right for us at all now anyway though, so I suppose I don't really need an answer.

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

If it requires post Algebra II, then it's not right for us, but I'm not sure where the $1500 figure comes from. This page:

https://areteem.org/courses/self-paced-courses-schedule

has $810 down as the price for all three semesters for the fundamentals course and $945 down for the all year price for the physics II course. And at the banner on top of one of the pages, there was a 20% discount code. So unless there's some big additional fees, I'm not sure where the price comes from. Unless that's a lab fee? I'm not sure what it not being "clean" means either. I'm pretty sure this isn't right for us at all now anyway though, so I suppose I don't really need an answer.

Hmmmm, it’s four units $380 each. It runs over summer as well. Self paced ones are less, but once a week live class is $380. Discounts are temporary, so I guess it depends when you sign up. They require the payment all at once, so if you can fork out the entire thing in one payment at a time they are running the sale, you can get a discount, but if you rely on paying in chunks, it becomes a different thing.

ok. It looks like the self paced one doesn’t ha e module for modern physics. The live one has 4 units, one of them being modern physics. 

• 2 years later...