Menu

Looking for Illustrated books

I am looking for the best copy of some books. If you have seen some of these would you tell me if they are unabridged and illustrated? If you know a better version please let me know! Most of these are to go with ELTL. I don't own very many books but I do own a house wall size book shelve. I'd like to spend around $10 a piece on 4th grade and up reading level books so they can have quality to pick from. I do have a great library but it would be nice to have some at home too.

We need to cover some Shakespeare: I'm thinking of the Classical Comic Plain Text versions here

They have Romeo and Juliet, Tempest, and Mid Summer Nights Dream. I've bought Moby-Dick by Walker Illustrated Classics and The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds, both we loved.

I was thinking Dr. Dolittle but I wouldn't mind renting this if a good one can't be found.

The Wind in the Willows. I've seen so many beautiful covers online only to find them abridged or not illustrated inside. (I like pictures).

Jungle book

Secret Garden

Don Quixote This I don't mind abridged but I don't want it too abridged, if that makes sense. We read some abridged ones from the library and the kids thought he was hilarious.

Wizard of Oz My son read this one from the library in ELTL1 and we enjoyed the pictures and bonded so much over it. I regret on buying it.

I would also like unabridged:

Five little Children and It

Pinocchio

Alice and Wonderland

Peter Pan

If you have any favorite copies please share!

I have that version of The Secret Garden and we enjoyed it quite a bit. It was one of DD's favorites from this past year.

I went back and forth on which Peter Pan for so long! We eventually went with the Gustafson version and like it a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Pan-J-M-Barrie/dp/0670841803?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This was a nice version of Alice, but not as awesome as the other books I mentioned. I just couldn't find an unabridged copy as lushly illustrated as those. http://www.amazon.com/Alices-Adventures-Wonderland-Books-Wonder/dp/0688110878?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• Like 1

:lurk5:

DD has plenty of listening attention span.  But, she really likes having a picture to look at.  So, I am paying attention.

Isn't that just wonderful! My sons have been read classics from the get go and I'm so thankful now. They can sit for a good 20000 leagues under the sea.

Also, Does anyone know if the Robert Ingpen books are abridged? I keep clicking on them. They look wonderful.

I wish we had a good bookstore around to thumb through these.

I did Pinocchio this past year with the version that has an introduction by Umberto Eco. I saw it in the library and fangirled that if Eco introduced it it might be good. Pretty sure it was unabridged, it had all the weird violence people complain about. The illustrations weren't overly pretty, but they fitted the story very well I thought. It's definitely not a "pretty" story after all.

The version of The Jungle Book you have linked to is by Robert Ingpen who did a bunch of the Sterling Illustrated Classics series. They are unabridged and have abundant, gorgeous illustrations. I just purchased his version of The Wind in the Willows (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402782837/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0wErxbX6G05DG) and it literally has illustrations on almost every page, at the very least each spread and they're so well done! He has done Alice, Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, Secret Garden and Pinocchio as well as quite a few others and I am planning on collecting them all!

ETA: I was reading some of the reviews of the Robert Ingpen Wind in the Willows and they claim that it is abridged and I just want to make clear that it is not. The book clearly states it is unabridged and the sections they claimed were left out are in my copy. :) So maybe the reviews were for another version?

Edited by BrittanyM
  • Like 1