Menu

Returning students - financial aid

Sorry about the appeal. I pray your interview goes well! I'd go with the pencil skirt and a flat or low heal closed-toe shoe that's comfortable for walking--no open toes for business attire. (Some people/places are fine with open toes, but I just wouldn't do it for an interview--save them for when you're sure what the trend is at that particular business.)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice so far. The job is in the athletic department of the local LAC. If I get the job, casual attire will be more than appropriate. Dressing up in business attire will be the exception not the rule. The majority of employees are in polos and khakis or whatever clothes fit the sport/activity. I don't want to overdress but I'm also not going to wear my athletic outfits either.

My pencil skirt is black and my good sandals are tan.  The blouse I was going to wear is in shades of teal, green, blue that is paired with a grey cami. My black sandals are not in good condition.

The capris are light ivory(almost white). I have a pair of ivory ballet flats and a matching purse. The capris, blouse, and ballet flats are what I wore to my DD's outdoor college graduation.

I have just enough $ to get a manicure today. There is no money for new shoes as I have difficult to fit feet (9.5 wide) and it would require a trip out of town. I'll keep looking through my closet. I wish I could do leggings and boots. 

• Like 1

Ok - capris are out.

Black pencil skirt with a tailored short sleeved blouse with a purple floral pattern on a black background is the front runner (purple is also one of the school's colors). This outfit is definitely all business.

I have to go shopping for shoes. I have nothing appropriate that will work for walking around a college campus all day. The one pair of black heels I own have a skinny heel. The chunkier heeled shoes are metallic with open toes; I wore them for a summer wedding a couple of years ago. Interestingly, I found the shoe box for the wedge shoes I thought I had but the shoes are nowhere to be found. I have no idea what happened to them.

How'd it go yesterday, Scoutermom?

Thank you for asking.  

It was a long day; the interview lasted from just before 9am until 5pm. I had one-on-one sessions, group sessions, a skyped group session. It was exhausting but I think it went well. Some of the questions caught me off guard but I was honest and open and felt raw and exposed by the end but in a good way. I know three of the people I interviewed with throughout the day and that familiarity helped keep me going. I also know the campus well. I've been on campus at least once a week for years and I used to work there in a different capacity than the one for which I interviewed so the interviews were really in depth and detailed; we skipepd the basic intro to the school, campus and community.

I was given an indication at the end of the day that an offer will be made by 5pm today. 

TBH - as an introvert, I was spent after 8 hours of constant contact and connection. I was quite happy to have an hour drive before having to step onto the tennis court and play a USTA tennis match. My partner and I won, though, and are still undefeated in league play. 

--

• Like 6

Update: I got it! We are all so thrilled and beyond thankful. The stress of possible transfers, second mortgages, or selling our oak tree are gone. Seriously, selling that tree was discussed as an option.

This job is a dream come true for me. It's not a fast track to anywhere but it's something I have wanted to do for years. I am a varsity tennis coach!!!

• Like 17

Update: I got it! We are all so thrilled and beyond thankful. The stress of possible transfers, second mortgages, or selling our oak tree are gone. Seriously, selling that tree was discussed as an option.

This job is a dream come true for me. It's not a fast track to anywhere but it's something I have wanted to do for years. I am a varsity tennis coach!!!

You are fabulous.  Congrats!

• Like 1

Thank you all so very much. DS was at work last night and then I was in bed before he came home so we didn't get to tell him until this morning. The relief on his face was priceless. I feel so bad about the stress he was under knowing he might have to transfer. He works so hard to maintain his scholarships and economize so we can afford it.

I just returned home from quitting my teaching position and he hugged me and told me how much he appreciates my efforts. This is a win-win.

:party:

• Like 8

I hope this isn't out of place, but...

I am waiting for an answer to an appeal from DS21's school.  I just didn't understand the numbers.  I strategically crafted my questions to ask her over the phone so she could hear herself answer them.  At one point, she said, "Hmmm...that doesn't make sense.  Let me review all of it for you."

I received an email this morning, saying she was using my 2016 tax returns (which are 1/3 of 2015) as the basis for the review.  

Fingers crossed.

ETA: Math error!  I said 1/3 less than when it's 1/3 of...

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 4

I am waiting for an answer to an appeal from DS21's school.  I just didn't understand the numbers.  I strategically crafted my questions to ask her over the phone so she could hear herself answer them.  At one point, she said, "Hmmm...that doesn't make sense.  Let me review all of it for you."

I received an email this morning, saying she was using my 2016 tax returns (which are 1/3 less than 2015) as the basis for the review.  

Fingers crossed.

Good luck

• Like 2

I hope it goes well, Lisa!

I received an email this morning, saying she was using my 2016 tax returns (which are 1/3 of 2015) as the basis for the review.  

Fingers crossed.

ETA: Math error!  I said 1/3 less than when it's 1/3 of...

• Like 1

Update so far:  Office emailed to say that I qualified for a PELL grant of $4, 270.  Tomorrow, the entire f/a package will be emailed.  I hope it includes something more than loans. I am very thankful for the grant, but still crossing fingers.

• Like 4

Thanks all.  With his sizable merit scholarship, two grants and our yearly contribution, he does not need to take anything more than the Stafford. I do NOT want my kids taking more than the Stafford.  

It was that yearly contribution that would have been nice to cut down.

What the grant did was erase the need for an additional loan, which I could never co-sign for and THAT is much appreciated. :)

• Like 4