Menu

PC (Posting Content) I can't be the only one who does this.

Lady Florida.

Tell me I'm not alone. Actually, I know I'm not. Some of you have signatures with a disclaimer about your typos. ;)

Here's how it often goes down when I post. 

• Write post
  • Proofread
  • Correct typos
  • Proof read again
  • Clarify some points I was trying to make
  • Proofread again
  • Fix some capitalization or puncutation
  • Proofread again
  • Submit post

Hours later...

• Go back to thread. It takes me to the last post I read, which was mine.
  • See a mistake I missed even with all that proofreading.
  • Fix it.
  • Read the rest of the thread and see that someone already quoted me with my mistake. 

:lol:   :banghead:

• Like 19

Absolutely.  Or I will realize that what I said could come across in an unintended way to the reader.  I think I edit most of my posts that are more than 1 sentence long.

And then sometimes someone will say, "Aha!  You sneaky poster, you edited to cover up how nasty your post was!"  Sigh.

• Like 1

Just look at my posts.  They've either been edited at some point when I reread them and wondered how I missed XYZ or you'll still see XYZ and wonder how I can possibly be good at my job (teaching).

Fortunately, I never claim(ed) to be an English person, so I have an excuse, right?  My strengths are science and math.  Hopefully when I answer those questions I don't make a content typo!

Then I rest on what one of my (science) college professors called them - Idiot Errors.  Why?  "Because any idiot, college student or prof, can make them and you feel like an idiot when you've made one."

As often as they occur to folks, any class I've been in has received this college prof's wisdom to help students feel better when they're that person.

• Like 2

Sometimes after all that proofreading and editing, when I'm just about to hit Post . . . I hit the X at the top of the tab instead. :o

Yes, I sometimes just cancel my reply if it's not coming out the way I wanted or when, after all that, I've realized that my post just doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

• Like 1

Tbh, I don't worry about it. It's fast, on the hoof expression, not a thesis. 

I don't really care what people think about my sentence construction on an online forum. 

I edit a lot, but that's either to soften an expression or to add a point. Or just to add more :)

Of course you must realize now we're all expecting you to go back and add more to this post.  :toetap05:

• Like 3

My husband is like this.

I do not proofread at all.  When I edit it is for information, not grammar or typos or whatever.  I write stream of consciousness on the internet (generally speaking); this is also how I do customer service on Etsy.  (which is what I should be doing now!)

• Like 1

I'm constantly editing. I don't like to have spelling errors. I don't like to state something and not cite it (and not JUST because I like to see my bitlink stats going up, although that's part of it). I don't like to sound harsher than I intended. And I really, really, really hate it when somehow, I have five blank lines at the end of my post. Of course, editing out those blank lines doesn't help, because then the edited note is there and that takes up almost as much space, but whatevs.

(SEE! ANNOYING AS HECK!)

• Like 1

This is why I really try not to post from my tablet.  Inevitably, it "corrects" things for me :p  I also make a lot more errors on my tablet than on my computer.  That said, typing on a message board is about as close to stream of consciousness writing as it gets.  We're typing as we'd speak, and not engaging all of our "formal" grammar brains into the effort (I make far fewer typos/grammatical mistakes when I'm working on a paper for a job, than I do when chatting on a message board).  I liken it to my 9yo daughter who can spell certain words as long as she's thinking about spelling, but it hasn't become automated in every day writing.

But, yes, I make all kinds of edits and changes and wonder how that apostrophe got THERE, or type the wrong form of a word, have a sentence which doesn't end as intended and instead runs one half-completed thought into another one (your brain will actually "see" what you wanted to say, which is why I always have someone else proof my papers for work).  

• Like 1