Menu

Art recommendations for Third grader

My (rising 3rd grade) daughter mentioned this afternoon that she "loves to draw, but is not very good at it."

I am a complete failure at all things art and therefore, am no help. Any ideas for curriculum that can teach her drawing (bonus if my rising 1st grader can tag along)? It could be a complete art curriculum if there is a great all inclusive program out there, but she seems primarily interested in drawing at the moment.

We like Artistic Pursuits. It's simply laid out and can be taught even if you don't have an art background. I tried Drawing with Children, and it is a great resource for those learning how to teach children, but it wasn't a program I could easily implement. You can also find some great free lessons in chalk pastels on www.hodgepodge.me.

My 8yo has been loving Mark Kistler's online lessons and I've seen a big improvement in her drawing overall, despite the 'silly' appearance of some of the videos. I got the membership deal from Homeschool Buyers Co-Op.

ETA: That membership includes a set of "mini-marshmallow" videos which are meant for younger kids, so you 1st grader could benefit too.

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com

After using Atelier Art and then Home Art Studio, we switched to Deep Space Sparkle about halfway through the year this year. DD and I both completed the lessons and neither of us have never enjoyed art so much. It's not drawing, though. There should be a Teachers Pay Teachers back-to-school sale in July, I believe. She always participates in those.

This place has some cute stuff:

http://www.deepspacesparkle.com

Home Art Studio!!!  You can combine them (you could even begin with the Kindy level.. it's fun and even me and my older kids enjoy it still!), it's fun, it does the hard work for you (except you may have to help clean up lol), and if you have a place the kids can find the supplies, they can even be pretty self sufficient with it.

You can get a good price at Homeschool Buyers Coop.  https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/home-art-studio/?source=59491

For drawing specifically, we have the Art Class DVD set put out by See The Light (I think that's their name?). Short lessons and a little cheesy at times, but doable drawing. I do lessons along with my kids, because I need all the help I can get.