Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
PinkTulip

What are your goals for your kids this summer?

I have 4 teenage boys, 18, 16, almost 15, and 13. My two oldest have jobs lined up - the oldest will be working 8 hour days, and the 16 yo will work about 4 hours a day / 2-3 times per week. The three youngest will do swim team, which takes a good chunk of time, but I am thinking about how I want my boys to be spending the 6-ish hours during the day that they aren't already committed.

I do know that I don't want them to spend 6 hours on Terraria, which they would totally do if I let them. I'm thinking about some committed time on Kahn Academy daily, but any other ideas? We need a goal to work toward, or a new skill to learn, or something! Any thoughts or ideas? What are your kids working on?

• Like 1

The 17 yo works, is training for cross country and needs to finish her Girl Scout Gold Award.

The 15 yo has driver training, mows lawns, plays soccer and needs to work on his Eagle Project.

The 12 yo is trying to read 8000 pages for summer reading along with 3 camps (church, GS, health professions) plays softball and has her own farmer's market business.

The 8yo is playing softball and doing a little summer school work to stay fresh and 3 camps (church, GS, Jr Naturalist).

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 1

My kids are a lot younger, but since you asked.  :)  They are enrolled in day camps / sleep-away camps nearly all summer, because I work full-time and they are a little young to entertain themselves for long time periods (especially since sending them off to the park all day could get me arrested).

In the evenings I have grand plans to "afterschool."  I'm going to try to make it fun, so I found some cookbooks / art books that include math / science / history / geography lessons with each recipe / project.  Some of the cookbooks would be appropriate for older kids as well.

In addition to cooking, I want to focus on some other life skills and do some regular outdoor volunteer work.  Hopefully get some scout badge work done.

My kids will also be practicing sports and music (see signature); playing chess; and generally bumming around.

We'll do some traveling in our state and in Europe.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

The 16yo will be living on a university campus this summer for two summer sessions. She'll learn how to navigate dining with a major food intolerance, sharing space with a roommate, getting to know a totally new state and culture, and (hopefully not incidentally) Russian and some political science! And she'll either love the school and apply in the fall or hate it and take it off her list :lol:

(She earned full merit scholarships for tuition, room and (most of) board from her ACT scores. We have to pay for transportation, books, and incidentals like the rest of the food.)

• Like 2

18 yo ds will be studying for 3 computer science challenge exams to try to place out of basic cs classes at college this fall, taking Cryptography 2 fom Stanford for fun (MOOC), and working on writing a spelling drill program.

16 yo ds will be finishing Algebra 2, studying for the PSAT, and volunteering/shadowing at a local physical therapy practice.

14 yo dd will be working on her art, pleasure reading, and finishing geometry.

16 yo ds will be finishing geometry and doing whatever he wants. He's been studying at least 4 hours a day for the National Spelling Bee since last June and needs a break. He will probably work on learning Polish for fun.

11 yo ds will be studying spelling to try for The Bee next year.

All will be mowing (we have LOTS of grass), working in our huge garden, and helping me around the house (which is a mess!). No camps or classes this year. Their job at the younger high school age is to study do as well as possible on the psat/sat to try for college merit scholarships.

My kids are younger also. We have swim lessons twice this summer, golf clinic, and tennis clinic. They may also do art or dance camps. We have an out of state trip to take when my new nephew arrives plus we have two summer birthdays. We will also be doing school work since we school year round. For summer we are focusing on math and language arts with American history and zoo/animals for science. They will also do their handicrafts/misc lightly. We live in a tourist area so there is a "season" here. We're in "in season" dh works longer hours with lots of early morning, late nights, and Saturdays. We stay doing school work since we're alone a lot more in summer and it gives us dedicated time to focus. When "off season" hits in Oct-Feb, we lighten up on school work and have more family time as dad gets to go in late, come home early and be off every weekend. We're a little backwards due to our circumstances but it works for us  :laugh:

• Like 1

DS 13 will be doing cross country camp, volunteering at two jobs, training for and competing in triathlons, road and running races, doing summer track, swim lessons...in between sports, who knows. Lots of reading, more computer game time than I'd prefer, and general hanging out. There's always too much free time in summer so we are shortening our break by a month this year. :)

• Like 1

Mine are 6 and 8 (well they age up in June). Summer goals are enjoy the pool daily, run around outside, have fun at summer day camps, play Legos and see friends. My oldest I want to have finish BA3. My youngest I need to have work the most on reading. Most of the summer will be spent just having fun but a small portion will be spent on continuing academics.

• Like 1

Both of my kids have jobs this summer and both are doing drivers' ed and training.

The older is preparing for entering community college in the fall and has some big yard/house projects to do for me. 

The younger has a week-long camp, and a service trip with her youth group.  She also has to finish a research paper.

I hope they get some downtime to read, draw, and just hang out.  Relaxing summers are about to be a memory for them, so I hope they squeeze a little out of this one.

• Like 1

20yr old son works *nearly* full-time. His summer goal is to score a full-time position and play as much PS4 as humanly possible.

7yr old son's summer goal is to learn to walk to the local bodega, ice cream shop, and his best friend's house by himself. (All are within 1/2 mile but involve crossing busy streets with random disappearing sidewalks and/or no crosswalks.) He will do 1st grade 'light' (math/spelling/grammar/handwriting) during our quiet time each afternoon to fill in any gaps left by his lost 1st grade year in the public school. :-(

Mom, Dad, 7yr old, 4yr old, and 2yr old sons will spend the majority of the summer in the back yard, at the town beach, and at local playgrounds. We have one weekend planned with my husband's brother and sister and their families at Story Land in the White Mountains of NH.

Bring on summer!

• Like 2

20yo is working days and doing theater type stuff at night.  I guess my goal for his to stay employed and not burn the candle TOO much at both ends, LOL

15yo is playing softball and on nights when she isn't playing, she is usually working as a paid umpire.  No academic goals for her this summer, but she did rent a large saxophone for the summer from the school so I expect her to be playing that quite a bit.

We have always had the "summer is vacation" mentality here, so the kids mostly just take some time off to focus on their own activities.  Sports, friends, hiking, biking and yes, some computer time.

• Like 2

The only one I have left "at home" is my 18-year-old son, who is home on break from college. For the most part, he sets his own goals now, with one exception:

We began telling him a few months ago that we expected him to work this summer (by which I meant more than teaching a couple of dance classes at a studio that takes me longer to drive to than he was spending teaching). He did start a part-time job the week he came home, although he is not getting as many hours as he was initially promised. He had yet another conversation with the scheduler and made it clear he is counting on getting at least the 20 hours per week he was told would be the minimum. He's hoping to see a big jump when the schedule for next week comes out, but in the meantime, he's also scheduled to interview for another position, which might be a supplement or a replacement if the first job doesn't kick into gear.

His goals for the summer include studying for and passing the CLEP bio exam, because he really has no interest in sitting through the class on campus next year. He also wants to do a (theatre) production. He went to an audition tonight; we'll see how that goes.

He had hoped to take a class or two at the community college towards the technical certificate he's trying to earn alongside his B.F.A. However, the college made it so difficult to figure out what his status should be that he missed the registration deadline and finally decided he didn't care enough to fight about it this summer.

His other goal is to finish the set of four coordinated costumes he and his girlfriend have been planning for months and show them off at the sci-fi convention coming up this weekend. He's been spending a LOT of hours alternating between the power tools in the garage and the sewing maching in the living room (and making occasional frantic appearances at my desk begging me to order him some accesory or part via Amazon Prime), but things are looking good.

• Like 1

My kids are much younger so my answer isn't relevant, but what about having each boy take a night to plan and prepare supper? They are at great ages to learn to cook if they don't know already. They could even do the shopping.

My husband is a great cook and I'm so appreciative his parents taught him to cook. When I worked full time too whoever got home first made supper.