Menu

What is notebooking exacting - how do you use it?

bfw0729

Can you explain to me how you use notebooking in homeschooling? Is it mainly for projects like lapbooking? Can you use it for narrations as described in the WTM book? For example, you read about an animal (science) and the child narrates what you read and draws a picture on the notebooking page? Where do you get these notebooking pages?

There are a lot of free notebooking pages, but we found it easier to just use a half-linedcomposition book like they sell for primary grades.  Notebooking is just creating your own textbook, so there really are a lot of ways you can do it.  You can use a regular binder and paper, adding in white paper or tracing paper for drawings to illustrate the work, you can sort it by topic (can be helpful in history or science) or chronologically.   It's often done as oral narration first, and then written as the child develops the skill to get thoughts on paper.  I find it handy to do it on a Friday in place of learning new material. All the material from the week is summarized to find the important bits and then a paragraph or two is added to the book.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

http://notebookingpages.com/free-resource-center

Here are a couple of great websites to give you some free templates.  Notebooking can be ANYTHING that you want it to be! They can be simple with writing and pictures, or you can add lapbook foldables as well.  I think of the notebook as a scrapbook of the things we have learned.  I include pictures of projects, foldables (that I either design of find somewhere on Pinterest), copywork (or narrations, depending on the age), etc...