Menu

Would you pay for an out of network chiropractor?

I really want to see a chiropractor. I think that it could be incredibly beneficial to me in many ways.

A friend of mine works for one, and I have other friends who also see this doctor. Everything I've heard about him is just wonderful, and I really think I could trust him. I really want to see this particular doctor.

So I called my insurance company (grrrrr) and they told me that he isn't in my network. We have an HMO and there is simply no allowance at all for me to see him, so we'd have to pay out of pocket 100%.

If I were willing to see a network chiropractor I'd need a referral from my pcp and then I could have 20 visits per calendar year with a $15 copay.

If I go to the guy who I'd really like I'd have to pay him about $200 for the initial exam/consult and then $60 for each visit thereafter.

What would you do?

I don't think that all chiropractors are created equal, and I'd really feel better going to someone who has been personally recommended.

Okay, thanks everyone. I'm going to talk with dh about this. Jean, thanks for that idea, I'll try it.

Do we have the money? Yes, we physically have it. But we are working really hard toward a savings goal right now and so it's not like that money is just sitting around without a job. Every dollar has a job, you know? ;)

So when I consider how little it would cost me to just use the in-network chiro, the frugal part of me thinks I should just jump on that. But the other part knows several people who would swim across the ocean to go to this guy because he's that good.

I really want to see a chiropractor. I think that it could be incredibly beneficial to me in many ways.

A friend of mine works for one, and I have other friends who also see this doctor. Everything I've heard about him is just wonderful, and I really think I could trust him. I really want to see this particular doctor.

So I called my insurance company (grrrrr) and they told me that he isn't in my network. We have an HMO and there is simply no allowance at all for me to see him, so we'd have to pay out of pocket 100%.

If I were willing to see a network chiropractor I'd need a referral from my pcp and then I could have 20 visits per calendar year with a $15 copay.

If I go to the guy who I'd really like I'd have to pay him about $200 for the initial exam/consult and then $60 for each visit thereafter.

What would you do?

I don't think that all chiropractors are created equal, and I'd really feel better going to someone who has been personally recommended.

Go to the one you want to. Now!

Chelle

I wouldn't, at least not without trying an in-network chiropractor first. The initial payment for the out-of-network guy would cover almost an entire year's worth of visits to an in-network guy.

Can you ask your friend to ask the magic-chiro who he would recommend that is on your insurance? I would think that the out-of-network guy would be understanding about the reasoning and would have a few suggestions for in-network guys for you.

As you said, every dollar has a job. If the difference was a few dollars, I'd say go to the guy you want. But the difference is just too great.

I wouldn't, at least not without trying an in-network chiropractor first. The initial payment for the out-of-network guy would cover almost an entire year's worth of visits to an in-network guy.

Can you ask your friend to ask the magic-chiro who he would recommend that is on your insurance? I would think that the out-of-network guy would be understanding about the reasoning and would have a few suggestions for in-network guys for you.

As you said, every dollar has a job. If the difference was a few dollars, I'd say go to the guy you want. But the difference is just too great.

Hmmmmm....a dissenting vote. Thanks a lot, JudoMom! :glare:

Just kidding! I really did want to hear all sides because that's the best way to make a decision. I hadn't considered asking for suggestions from that guy. I could look into that.

Thanks!

Hmmmmm....a dissenting vote. Thanks a lot, JudoMom! :glare:

Just kidding! I really did want to hear all sides because that's the best way to make a decision. I hadn't considered asking for suggestions from that guy. I could look into that.

Thanks!

Hey! Remember who told you to buy the Keurig you wanted! How quickly we forget :001_tt2:.

(;))

We've been seeing our chiropractor for over 11 years now. I started going when I had severe lower back problems and found out that my severe tummy aches (which other doctors told me was heartburn) were caused by my back. He fixed both my back pain and stomach pain. :D

Now we only go when we need to like when I'm dumb enough to sleep/lie on the couch. That ALWAYS makes my neck go out. He also fixes my jaw for me occasionally when I pop it out of joint. .

He charges $30 a visit and checks the kids for free. I don't remember how much initial exam and xrays are anymore.

• 3 years later...

What would you do?

Yes, they sure are NOT created equal. Some of them are still cracking the back. Go to a good one and pay for it. It's worth it.

The guy I saw actually solved a digestive problem I had had for years! They don't just fix pain anymore.